Bringing new people into pool.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The Sad Fact is...

I think this thread sat uncommented on for 12 days until it was bumped. The sad fact is that I found out through pumping the same idea but not through meet up is that Room Owners don't seem interested in having new pool players unless they just walk through the door completely on their own. Its just too easy to sell Alcohol I guess. I always thought if more people came in that would increase the possibility of Alcohol Sales. At this point, not sure why but it is what it is I guess.
This is one way to do it. It's highly effective and the cost is very low.
You would think most pool room owners would be all over this?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=399857

JoeyA

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'm glad you waited 12 days to bump the post.

While I'd be curious as to why the Room Owners didn't respond to this thread.........

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

At least I can say I tried.
JoeyA

I think this thread sat uncommented on for 12 days until it was bumped. The sad fact is that I found out through pumping the same idea but not through meet up is that Room Owners don't seem interested in having new pool players unless they just walk through the door completely on their own. Its just too easy to sell Alcohol I guess. I always thought if more people came in that would increase the possibility of Alcohol Sales. At this point, not sure why but it is what it is I guess.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A tough realization

I'm glad you waited 12 days to bump the post.

While I'd be curious as to why the Room Owners didn't respond to this thread.........

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

At least I can say I tried.
JoeyA

As much as I love pool, this lack of engagement is still very hard for me to swallow. Something that I believe in very much just isn't working out the best it could. Yes JoeyA you did try. The first thing that both of us probably has to learn is that no one can take away the joy of the game from either of us. We have that and the second thing is this baby ain't over yet, not by a long shot.

Last edited:

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
First time I have been on AZB in forever. Thank you for the suggestion JoeyA.
I have been trying App and phone and social site promos for years. When it is at its best it rarely brings in new people. My room is different than most. It doesnt have alcohol and is family friendly. I have tried the GoPlayPool app before and at the time didn't see much potential for my room. Too many pool players in general don't use apps or even have a smart phone. Everyone still relies on word of mouth here in Saint Louis. I give away free pool weekly on Facebook and it rarely brings in more than one or two people. Facebook is the most popular delivery method for the masses right now. I do appreciate the effort tho JoeyA. I quit using this forum several years ago simply because there were less and less room owners contributing. It devolved into a place where members ( who have never owned a room) just bashed anyone suggesting something other that money added tourneys and free beer and free pool.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I sympathize with you about the bashers, knockets and haters. They have plenty of fuel in their tank. In some cases, the haters have been muzzled by the management of AZB and that is a good thing of course. We need pool room owners like yourself posting on AZB. Thanks for the reply.

I have learned some additional things in the last few months about Meetup as it relates to pool.

First, the people wanting to participate as a group in pool via Meetup continue to join and there is no end in sight.

Secondly, you must make a commitment to having a regular meeting and you MUST form a management team to handle the MeetUps or the group will become dormant.

Thirdly, you must be willing to fund this group bi-annually. They won't keep sending you new members for free.

It would be nice if others decided to chip in to make the MeetUp idea work. It takes an effort to build and keep a pool room membership growing.

Thanks for responding.

JoeyA
JoeyA

First time I have been on AZB in forever. Thank you for the suggestion JoeyA.
I have been trying App and phone and social site promos for years. When it is at its best it rarely brings in new people. My room is different than most. It doesnt have alcohol and is family friendly. I have tried the GoPlayPool app before and at the time didn't see much potential for my room. Too many pool players in general don't use apps or even have a smart phone. Everyone still relies on word of mouth here in Saint Louis. I give away free pool weekly on Facebook and it rarely brings in more than one or two people. Facebook is the most popular delivery method for the masses right now. I do appreciate the effort tho JoeyA. I quit using this forum several years ago simply because there were less and less room owners contributing. It devolved into a place where members ( who have never owned a room) just bashed anyone suggesting something other that money added tourneys and free beer and free pool.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Los Angeles Pool Meetup Zero Groups, Orange County One

Two Years Gone By.....

The Title Says It All.

The App?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Trick Shot Shows in Malls

Bring "Dr. Billiard's Traveling Trick Shot Show" to a Local Mall to Help Expose Billiards Arts and Games to the Masses.

9 Foot Table
Easy to Setup
Easy to Transport
Quality Enough to Do Tricks and Demos On.
It's Got to Go Thru a Lot of Rough Travel Time in a Truck.
Outside Needs to Be Very Durable.
Diamond 9' One Piece Slate With Special Nylon Skin?

Now If I Can Only Get Diamond to Sponsor the Table and......
Get Local Pool Room Owners to Chip In. Free Lesson Give Aways.
Maybe Some Cue and Ball Sponsorship?
Hiring the Artists is the Expensive Part. Travel, Hotels, Expenses.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Meetup is Best for Social Activities

Meetup.com Works Really Well If You Set It Up for a Weekly Game That Invites New People to Play.
Could Also Be Used for Leagues.
But Open Play On a Slow Night is Best to Bring First Timers In.
Must be a Repeatable, Weekly Event. People Will Lurk for Weeks Before Taking the Leap.
Yes, a Cost Can Be Asked For From Participants.
It Must be Managed by the Room Owner or Their Representative.
There Must Be a Contact Person at the Time and Day Listed With Every Event.
E-Mails Must Be Answered.
Photos Taken and Posted Showing Some Past Events.
Future Meetups Described and Posted.

We Use it for Hiking Here in LA and we have over 22,000+ Members. Yes, Not All Are Active, All the Time But They Did Signup and Follow New Posts.

All Levels from First Timers to Ultra Distance Racers. Over 20 Sub-Types.
Many Repeat, Weekly Hikes Like....
Every Tuesday at 7pm for Beginners.
At the Same Time a Group of Elite Trail Runners Go Off On a Different Trail.
You See a Lot of the Same People and New People Show Up All the Time.

But We Have ONE Pool Meetup Group Here in Los Angeles every 2 weeks and Only One in Orange County.

Great Resource Unused by Billiards Room Owners.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
I started a Billiards Meetup Group here in New Orleans but realized that like most things, someone has to put in the effort to organize and coordinate it for it to be successful.

I have a few other hobbies and just don't have the time to devote to managing the meetup group. If I owned a pool room, I would find the time or find someone to manage the group and I would pay for the subscription.

It was actually fun to meet the new people wanting to socialize and meetup, especially since I seldom play pool to socialize.

JoeyA

Meetup.com Works Really Well If You Set It Up for a Weekly Game That Invites New People to Play.
Could Also Be Used for Leagues.
But Open Play On a Slow Night is Best to Bring First Timers In.
Must be a Repeatable, Weekly Event. People Will Lurk for Weeks Before Taking the Leap.
Yes, a Cost Can Be Asked For From Participants.
It Must be Managed by the Room Owner or Their Representative.
There Must Be a Contact Person at the Time and Day Listed With Every Event.
E-Mails Must Be Answered.
Photos Taken and Posted Showing Some Past Events.
Future Meetups Described and Posted.

We Use it for Hiking Here in LA and we have over 12,000+ Members. Yes, Not All Are Active, All the Time But They Did Signup and Follow New Posts.

All Levels from First Timers to Ultra Distance Racers. Over 20 Sub-Types.
Many Repeat, Weekly Hikes Like....
Every Tuesday at 7pm for Beginners.
At the Same Time a Group of Elite Trail Runners Go Off On a Different Trail.
You See a Lot of the Same People and New People Show Up All the Time.

But We Have NO Pool or Billiards Meetup Group Here in Los Angeles and Only One in Orange County.

Great Resource Unused by Billiards Room Owners.