USA vs Russia, Mosconi Cup format, Sep. 23-26

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Phrasing-

Considering how poorly US has done in international team events (past the last one where SVB and Sky got 2nd), being at 6-4 now is not bad. Although they are losing to a couple of 17 yr olds LOL

They are building a team.
The Russian youth are a TEAM.
The USA is becoming a team.
Doesn't happen overnight.
:thumbup:

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol the US is behind going into the last day tomorrow. It’s very apparent that they just can’t win. It’s them, it’s not who they’re playing.

Honestly I don't give a crap if they lose. They have two months to the Mosconi Cup and for the first time ever they have early data. They actually can work on their weak points rather than look at them in the rear view mirror after a loss. This was a genius move by Johan. Gives us the best position yet by far headed into the cup. A lot of areas that need improvement was shown

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I read in a Bert Kinister article about Johann that Johann is former Dutch special forces. He would be the ultimate life coach...gym, pool, hand to hand combat...wow!

His wife is also an Olympic swimmer (an event the Dutch are known for and very successful in) so I am sure he has been exposed first hand to the coaching she receives at the very highest level, and for anything he doesn't get to see first hand I am sure she passes on to him all the various methods her coaches use and what seems to get the best results etc. Not to mention that Johann himself earned a Master Coach degree from the Dutch Olympic Committee which allows him to coach any sport in that country and which is bound to be a high quality coaching program/degree. He definitely seems to have some good coaching credentials along with demonstrated success.

http://www.sneakypetemafia.com/the-value-of-a-coach-bert-kinister/
http://www.poolroom.com/make-america-great-again/

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His wife is also an Olympic swimmer (an event the Dutch are known for and very successful in) so I am sure he has been exposed first hand to the coaching she receives at the very highest level, and for anything he doesn't get to see first hand I am sure she passes on to him all the various methods her coaches use and what seems to get the best results etc. Not to mention that Johann himself earned a Master Coach degree from the Dutch Olympic Committee which allows him to coach any sport in that country and which is bound to be a high quality coaching program/degree. He definitely seems to have some good coaching credentials along with demonstrated success.

http://www.sneakypetemafia.com/the-value-of-a-coach-bert-kinister/
http://www.poolroom.com/make-america-great-again/

Thanks for the link on the bert kinister coaching article. That's a valuable read and after reading that, I always hoped US players(especially Shane) would be able to work with Johann because of the excellent pool he brings out of already great and established players.

Good point on the Olympic swimmer wife you made. Having that influence at home and the knowledge/training ethics she gained from her coaches no doubt would be utilized.

I look forward to watching all the Russia vs USA matches, I've only watched day 1 and a few from the last two days, but I can see the players looked relaxed and comfortable around Johann. There is nothing but upsides in all of this.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like Ralf Souquet has become the first official member of Europe's 2017 Mosconi Cup team. He won the season long European Ranking title, which culminated with the Kremlin Cup event.

http://www.matchroompool.com/wp-content/uploads/euro-rankings-2017-7.pdf

Has the selection process for the Europeans been announced? I thought I had seen it but did some searching and came up dry.

Also, do they have a date they will announce the full roster?

Been having fun following the USA v. Russia matches. Both teams have had a lot of mistakes throughout the match at crucial moments.

Some things that have stood out to me are the hill/hill and lag losses of team USA and some of the missed shots by some of the young gun Russians.

Such a pleasure to watch more of these top level Mosconi-esque tournaments with the world's elite.

-Ben

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some 17-year-old Russian kid just destroyed Corey 5-0 or 5-1, and now the Russian team is on the hill in the overal match 8-5.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has the selection process for the Europeans been announced? I thought I had seen it but did some searching and came up dry.

Also, do they have a date they will announce the full roster?

Been having fun following the USA v. Russia matches. Both teams have had a lot of mistakes throughout the match at crucial moments.

Some things that have stood out to me are the hill/hill and lag losses of team USA and some of the missed shots by some of the young gun Russians.

Such a pleasure to watch more of these top level Mosconi-esque tournaments with the world's elite.

-Ben

Europe chooses it team from:

1) Winner of the European Ranking title (Ralf Souquet claimed this spot).
2) Top 2 players in the World Ranking title. This title culminates with the U.S. Open 9 ball tournament. If Souquet finishes in the top 2 here, the 3rd place finisher gets the spot on the team. Right now, Joshua Filler and Nick Van Den Berg would be on the team.
3) Two wild card captain's picks. You can bet the house that Jayson Shaw will be one of those choices. Just saying. :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some 17-year-old Russian kid just destroyed Corey 5-0 or 5-1, and now the Russian team is on the hill in the overal match 8-5.

Both Dudanets and Gorst are playing, I think they are either both 17 or one is 17 and other is 18. Gorst was a killer at 16, he beat Appleton in 10 ball and Shaw in 1 pocket in the same event, the Euro version of DCC, I think he won the thing overall.

This is why the USA juniors are doomed in the World Championship, USA juniors are good junior players, maybe A speed for the best couple, the European and Asian kids are just short pro players. My son came in 5th in the country at Nationals and he is a B to B+ player, the two girls that won their age groups are B players also.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the US has come back to tie it up. One singles match left for the cheese. Or maybe the borscht. I assume Ruisjink will pick SVB, but who knows.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USAs-Worst-President.png.................

Attachments

• 21764837_1650690241621578_6674073686921804171_n.jpg
    21764837_1650690241621578_6674073686921804171_n.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited: