Justin Bergman--Mosconi Cup

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Bergman isn't on the team somethings wrong because he's the only one outside of the top 10 worth considering so you don't have to make a judgement call chiseling between him and someone else because the rest of potentials are all in the top 10.

The main reasoning is Justin should make the team is that he is easily one of the best 5 American players right now and I know the team is built using a points system but the goal is to have the best 5 players and this year match room basically told Johan he could pick whoever he wanted.

Shane's mosconi record is suspect but he should be on the team regardless considering he's hands down Americas best player. The next two best America players hands down are sky and Justin. Both have actually had decent showings for the cup, but all three of these players should be on this years team regardless of previous performances or amount of points considering theyre the best three players in America right now and in my opinion a notch above the rest.

The last two picks could go to a handful of different players and there's different arguments for each player. In my opinion Billy Thorpe should be on the team to start his seasoning not to mention he's had a solid year. He's a great young gun that most likely will make many teams so it's in Americas best interest to start his seasoning as soon as possible.

The final spot as I said could go to many players and they'd each be deserving of selected. You could go with an experienced member or another young gun or another first timer and all schools of thought have merit.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
If Bergman isn't on the team somethings wrong because he's the only one outside of the top 10 worth considering so you don't have to make a judgement call chiseling between him and someone else because the rest of potentials are all in the top 10.

The main reasoning is Justin should make the team is that he is easily one of the best 5 American players right now and I know the team is built using a points system but the goal is to have the best 5 players and this year match room basically told Johan he could pick whoever he wanted.

Shane's mosconi record is suspect but he should be on the team regardless considering he's hands down Americas best player. The next two best America players hands down are sky and Justin. Both have actually had decent showings for the cup, but all three of these players should be on this years team regardless of previous performances or amount of points considering theyre the best three players in America right now and in my opinion a notch above the rest.

The last two picks could go to a handful of different players and there's different arguments for each player. In my opinion Billy Thorpe should be on the team to start his seasoning not to mention he's had a solid year. He's a great young gun that most likely will make many teams so it's in Americas best interest to start his seasoning as soon as possible.

The final spot as I said could go to many players and they'd each be deserving of selected. You could go with an experienced member or another young gun or another first timer and all schools of thought have merit.

I think that Bergman is the BEST player under this format. So yes, he should definitely be selected.

_______

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm afraid since he's out of the top 10 he will be over looked but it would be the biggest mistake the first year American coach could make and is call immediate shenanigans!!!!!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he is one of the best American players on a consistent basis, so I agree he should be on the team.

However, I'm not sure I agree with the statement that Bergman and Woodward are clearly the 2nd and 3rd best American players. Morris, Oscar, Earl, and Dechaine (when he is playing) all could be in the discussion

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he is one of the best American players on a consistent basis, so I agree he should be on the team.

However, I'm not sure I agree with the statement that Bergman and Woodward are clearly the 2nd and 3rd best American players. Morris, Oscar, Earl, and Dechaine (when he is playing) all could be in the discussion

I agree that your other players(when playing there best) are in the discussion but I was talking overall and just this year. Dechaine isn't playing, earl and Morris are slightly passed there primes and although Oscar is great I don't view him even with Bergman or sky but that's just me.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys give the Mosconi Cup way too much of your time & thought. Hell, if the chicken shit nits on here who keep saying the Team has already been picked and won't reveal it are right, Matchroom just gave a big FU to the whole US fan base (and players!) that were told here is a list of points tournaments, etc, to qualify.

:boring2:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Bergman was Team USA's best player in the 2016 Mosconi. It would be strange indeed if he weren't on this year's team.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bergman was Team USA's best player in the 2016 Mosconi. It would be strange indeed if he weren't on this year's team.

I'd like to see him earn it rather than ride a coat tail in , he ain't done much to date

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys give the Mosconi Cup way too much of your time & thought. Hell, if the chicken shit nits on here who keep saying the Team has already been picked and won't reveal it are right, Matchroom just gave a big FU to the whole US fan base (and players!) that were told here is a list of points tournaments, etc, to qualify.

:boring2:

I don't disagree that I and many others potentially give this event way to much space to rent in our heads. However I will say that I'm a huge pool fan and the glory of this is just that it gives us all something to buzz about. On one hand I admit I care and think to much but on the other what else in the pool world is there to get hype about? Being a pool fan I can't see how another fan of pool would dis this tournament being that it brings together 10 great players on a world stage. There's immense pressure and I know one aspect of pool that intrigues me is seeing if one can handle different pressures. (If you can handle the cup you can handle anything in pool). Not to mention the clashing of two rival nations and the fact that I'm an American first and foremost and would route for and want any American team to win.

So if the mosconi cup isn't for you that's fine but please let us pool nerds relish in the insanity that is the mosconi cup since it's basically one of the few things left in the pool world that mean anything!!!!!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe he posted here saying that he wasn’t going to chase Mosconi points, but he was just going to play in whatever tournaments were in his best interests to play in, and let the Mosconi points come if they may.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't disagree that I and many others potentially give this event way to much space to rent in our heads. However I will say that I'm a huge pool fan and the glory of this is just that it gives us all something to buzz about. On one hand I admit I care and think to much but on the other what else in the pool world is there to get hype about? Being a pool fan I can't see how another fan of pool would dis this tournament being that it brings together 10 great players on a world stage. There's immense pressure and I know one aspect of pool that intrigues me is seeing if one can handle different pressures. (If you can handle the cup you can handle anything in pool). Not to mention the clashing of two rival nations and the fact that I'm an American first and foremost and would route for and want any American team to win.

So if the mosconi cup isn't for you that's fine but please let us pool nerds relish in the insanity that is the mosconi cup since it's basically one of the few things left in the pool world that mean anything!!!!!

Its definitely a great production & opportunity, I just can't stand the format. Also, it isn't "two rival nations". That would be something. Instead it US vs Euuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppeeeeee, or howver the Euroholes want to butcher ENGLISH and pronounce it :D

Its a shame we can't can't have like 6 Derby's a year.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe he posted here saying that he wasn’t going to chase Mosconi points, but he was just going to play in whatever tournaments were in his best interests to play in, and let the Mosconi points come if they may.

That's why we don't need him , we want players fighting for the honor to play ,,

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Def wish there were 6 derby lol n I also understand the notion that he didn't get the points so he must not want it but in my opinion the points is a scam and it was t always like that. It should just be the 5 best players but I know that would be to political when choosing players. I just completely empathize with not traveling to get points when it makes no financial sense. It would be one think if it was golf n there were points events n players didn't show up which would seem as if they didn't care. In pool though it's a struggle to make ends meet n I can't blame a guy for not traveling just get points for a possible shot at another event that doesn't make financial sense. It's not like there's events every week in every city there's one event a month scattered across the country n half the events have less then 8,000 first places n less than 5000 second places. Just my opinion n in the perfect world these guys would be financially compensated for the talent n skill they have but its just not the case

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This one stroke guy whoever that is I want to play Mosconi Cup as much as anyone but I'm not traveling 3,000 miles every weekend to break even if I place top 2. You really have no idea what you're talking about so I shouldn't be so hard on you but if you're going to post and act like you know something about the subject than think a little before you post.

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Much, thank you I appreciate it... Yeah I really want to play but I understand if they don't and I'll still root for USA I think we have the talent to win. I think our best players are really close to Europes best but I think Europe has more of them. I would say we only have like 8-10 players that could win and they have 25-30. Asia probably has 100 lol.

I could see where people don't think I deserve it but honestly if I had to do it again i would not travel from California, to Oregon, then North Carolina, then to Texas, then to New York. Some of those are worth going to and you have to spend $2,500 to make $6,000. Some are spend $2,500 to win maybe $2,500. I always put my own money in tournaments, well about 95 percent of the time if I have it. I do get staked to play like $20,000 sets and up but if I can bet my own I will. I don't have a sponsor that pays my travel if I had that I would go to every event. Most people even ones that follow pool still don't realize I think US pool culture is more gambling and I think that's where our best players are gamblers. If pool tournaments paid $30,000 for first and maybe $3,000 for top 10 you would see a lot different names winning tournaments. Especially these tournaments rack your own 9 ball, bar table, race to 7. When I was young I was always told real pool players gamble and suckers play tournaments... I wish it were different but that's how it is in the U.S. I try to do both but until they pay a little better I'm not traveling every weekend to play races to 7 to win $1,000.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally understand you and I honestly commend you for standing up and holding your ground. This points format doesn't promote the best players it promotes the guys that get to the most tournaments and I have no idea how they do it. I'm not talking about Shane but everyone else basically but if you look at it from a financial standpoint it simply doesn't make sense and on top of that what's the sense traveling the country on your own dime hoping to break even just to get the "opurtunity" to fly across the world stay for a week at a chance at what 10/20k? I mean if u say I won 20k in one day it sounds good but if u have to play 10 tournaments all over America costing you probably 20k in expenses to have enough points to possibly win 20k it makes no sense at all. Again I'm speaking strictly about the financial aspect. Obviously it's a great accomplishment to represent your country in anything and I assume it's fun but I think people don't realize you guys are professional pool players meaning your income comes from pool so you have to plan out your agenda surrounding the best way to win money.

Sorry for the rant. And Justin I'm a big fan of your game and I hope you realize there's plenty of good people in the pool community and just ignore the haters and bad eggs. They will always be there too. Good luck if you make the team I truly hope you do but I'm glad your man enough to not hold grudges if you got the short end of the stick and didn't make the team because at the end of the day we're all from this great country and seeing us win would be great.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also last thing, I really think it's cool that you post on here and read the stuff I wish all the pros did. I've never met you but hopefully one day I will because you seem like a down to earth guy.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Much, thank you I appreciate it... Yeah I really want to play but I understand if they don't and I'll still root for USA I think we have the talent to win. I think our best players are really close to Europes best but I think Europe has more of them. I would say we only have like 8-10 players that could win and they have 25-30. Asia probably has 100 lol.

I could see where people don't think I deserve it but honestly if I had to do it again i would not travel from California, to Oregon, then North Carolina, then to Texas, then to New York. Some of those are worth going to and you have to spend $2,500 to make $6,000. Some are spend $2,500 to win maybe $2,500. I always put my own money in tournaments, well about 95 percent of the time if I have it. I do get staked to play like $20,000 sets and up but if I can bet my own I will. I don't have a sponsor that pays my travel if I had that I would go to every event. Most people even ones that follow pool still don't realize I think US pool culture is more gambling and I think that's where our best players are gamblers. If pool tournaments paid $30,000 for first and maybe $3,000 for top 10 you would see a lot different names winning tournaments. Especially these tournaments rack your own 9 ball, bar table, race to 7. When I was young I was always told real pool players gamble and suckers play tournaments... I wish it were different but that's how it is in the U.S. I try to do both but until they pay a little better I'm not traveling every weekend to play races to 7 to win $1,000.

It is not very often I can agree 100% with a long reply here on azb yet here you go Justin ;) It is really cultural thing where pool in Europe is really considered a sport at the top level while in USA there is a very strong gambling culture and the sport part doesnt get that much recognition it would deserve. The tournaments in USA get much bigger purses than in Europe but also the cost of travelling to such tournaments are much higher. Hard nut to crack I guess. :confused:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great comment Justin. I agree with you. What about travelling for tournaments, with side action before/after at that location? Or challenge matches? Or lessons? Folks like Josh gamble and play tourneys, but it DOES sound exhausting.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Unfortunately this is all very true. Most of the "big money" events we've seen this year are small fields (sixteen players) paying high entry fees ($1-2,000) to play against other top players, and only four players get in the money! In essence. these tournaments are gambling as well, with large expenses and only two or three guys will make any money and the rest take a loss. Their only chance to recoup is to gamble with someone at the event. It might sound like fun, but to a pool player trying to make a living it's an uphill battle.

I feel for players like Justin, who have a wealth of talent but very few opportunities to use it. The state of professional pool in the USA is the worst I've seen in decades right now. A lack of meaningful events to play in and very few poolrooms where they can expect to get action anymore. They may as well stay home and try to eke out a living giving lessons and selling pool gear, maybe have a pro shop in a poolroom and build a small billiards supply business. Finding some backing for a poolroom/sports bar can provide a decent living if run correctly, but that is a full time job and leaves little time to actually play the game.

Bottom line is that aspiring to be a professional pool player is not a good career choice right now and having it as a hobby or part time sideline makes more sense. Like many good players have already discovered, staying close to home (having a job) and only playing in local events makes a lot more sense in today's pool world. We have exactly one male pool player (Shane) making a good living exclusively from pool right now in this country! How's that for odds?

Last edited: