Schon STL 15: advice and opinions PLEASE

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Schon's have a very good and consistent reputation. They could be better in the looks department though. The rounded points and inlays are quite poor compared to Adam's, Carolina's and etc. who make tight veneered and sharp points and inlays. Not as imortant in the overall scheme but nevertheless, it doesnt hurt if it looked even better.

nola22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an stl-15 with a leather wrap and natural veneers. I think it's one of their better looking models though, as the previous poster mentioned, the points are a little rounded. I hated the original tip, but replaced it with a sniper, and the cue plays nice. Well balanced, firm hit, etc, etc, as has been reported many times in the forum.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ABall said:
There's some guy named Shane that shoots with a schon. I think his last name starts with a "V"? He shoots pretty damn sporty with his Schon.

I always thought SVB played with an older Joss and an after market shaft like a Predator?

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I agree with everyone, Schon is a great playing cue.. I have owned several, and I purchased all mine from Erik lee.. Awsome prices, and I was never disapointed..

SPINDOKTOR

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
StrokeofLuck said:
I always thought SVB played with an older Joss and an after market shaft like a Predator?

He's using a plain ebony 4 point Schon. He uses the same shaft from his Joss, that Dan Janes custom made for him; the one that said "shane" in the forearm.

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
I own an STL-4 with the Sch?nIV shaft - so it comes with an ivory ferrule. I am totally sold for this cue - it looks astonishing, amazingly elegant with a darker stained BEM forearm and the jet black ebony points and butt sleeve. If I could find a great and reliable leather worker I would give it to him to put a nice black leather wrap on it. However, I'm planning to sell it and get another, older Sch?n.

Sch?n is the very, very, very best cue in this price range.

As for the tip: I have received it about a month ago and I still have the original Sch?n tip on it - that feels: really hard. I've been planning changing it but I like it just enough to leave it on for a little more time.

asn130

Night owl
Silver Member
i own 2 schon cues & absolutely love them. My friend has a Mcdaniels cue that hits great & i think my schons hit just as good.

Also, schon must have some great shaft wood right now. I recently ordered 2 more shafts 13mm & 12.75mm with standard schon taper & standard ferrules. The 12.75 is 3.9oz & the 13mm is 4.5oz both are white, straight & tight grained.

As far as the taper, once you get used to it, you won't have any problems moving the cueball around. And if you like to really spin your ball, go for ivory ferrules.

here's my 2 schons

SCH2000-LTD509.jpg

sp1106-800.jpg

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
shaft wood

I totally agree with what you have said about the quality of the shafts you received. My shaft is 4.4 oz, really rich in growth rings and has got a very nice, bright color. Couldn't really ask for anything more!!

MalibuMike

Banned
The STL-15 is the BEST

Has anyone every played with a Schon STL 15? I'm thinking about buying one and wanted to get some opinions.
Thanks

I have two, one with a gray stain and one with green veneers. they play awesome, classic look, not too over the top. A kinda Tiki Style!
I want to purchase every variation of this cue let me know if anything interesting comes up!

Attachments

• 20140927_181725.jpg
    20140927_181725.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 713
  • 20140927_181737.jpg
    20140927_181737.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 582
  • 20140927_181649 (1).jpg
    20140927_181649 (1).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 608

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do all of you Schon users use the stock shaft that comes with the cue ???? And the tip that comes with it ??

I can't stand any LD shaft that I have tried so far. On my SL-7, I use the Schon shaft, a '93 shaft specifically. I keep the shaft it came with as a backup in case my tip falls off or something. I have used the stock tip so far and now it's little more than a thin sliver of leather left. Planning on replacing it with one of The Renfro's Ki-Tech mediums soon.

Love my Schon, but I love it too much to take to many of the bars I play in. That's where the Joss comes out. :D

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't think i'd ever get one. that ss joint doesn't do anything for me

you sound like me, when im talking about southwest style joints....i cant make a ball with those dang things...

As for schons, ive owned a bunch of em, probably dozen or so (currently have 2). They hit on all of them are very similar. Schon does a very good job or making a high quality and VERY consistent product. I think they are well worth the money.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
I have had a stl-15 loved everything about it my previous cues were all low deflection cues so for me the original shaft were no good to much deflection so i moved on back to the predator.

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own 2 Schon's, one with a stainless joint and the other with a phenolic joint. Two different cues IMO, but 2 very, very good cues.

MalibuMike

Banned
I have tried the Schon STL-15 with every Shaft out there!

I have two, one with a gray stain and one with green veneers. they play awesome, classic look, not too over the top. A kinda Tiki Style!
I want to purchase every variation of this cue let me know if anything interesting comes up!

And I keep going back to the Tiger ProX!
I even tried the OB "PLUS" I gave it a F-!

The Mezz Deep Impact makes a great Break Shaft for a STL-15!

Attachments

• 20150425_172032.jpg
    20150425_172032.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 20150429_174214.jpg
    20150429_174214.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 421
  • 20150425_153016.jpg
    20150425_153016.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 475
  • 20141202_225704.jpg
    20141202_225704.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 437

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
World's best cue.
I've always considered Schon as a semi-production cue company, and I feel the STLs all play alike.
Put a Schon/Predator shaft on your Schon STL cue, and you'l be unstoppable. :)

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone every played with a Schon STL 15? I'm thinking about buying one and wanted to get some opinions.
Thanks

You can't go wrong with a Schon.
They all play the same or close enough to be considered the same.
So just select the decoration you want and leave it at that.
Personally I'd just get the cheapest one and get a Z2 if you like
LD shafts ( I like small tips).
The Schon shafts are quite good too, so it's not like you need an LD.

Can't go wrong with them. Just get it and start having fun with it.