How Would You Play This Layout?

You just made the 1 and got here on the 2. How would you play this?

222.jpg

111.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Stun to the short rail with a hair of left English.
Bring the cue-ball back to where it is now.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
This seems like a fun option provided you got the stroke and the cloth is fast... on that table im sure you would probably be able to get around.

Self explanatory from there. 3 in the side, cueball down to end rail and back up for 4 ball

Attachments

• wwydh.jpg
    wwydh.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,125

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

In the lower picture it looks like there is too much angle to do this easily.

What I would do and what I should do are probably two different things. What I probably should do is put the 2 ball on the Brunswick and freeze the cue ball to the back of the 6 ball.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member

Stun takes you straight into the 7-ball. You'd have use a moderate amount of draw to play your shot, which is tricky.

Between this and the 5-rail shot peppersauce and Icon of Sin described, I think I'd probably take the 5-railer. As an added bonus, if you accidentally clip the 9-ball on your way through the middle of the table on the 5-railer, you stand a good chance of ending up even better on the 3.

Bob, you're safety's not on; it's a diamond ;)

-Andrew

Last edited:

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could cut the 2 in the side with left English stun and spin it 2 rails towards the 9. The 3 could go into the side or corner.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low left on CB playing 2 in the side...Draw out of the corner to the lower right pocket catching the end rail for shape on the 3 in the side...or corner if I over run shape for the 3 in the side

Really doesn't take a hard stroke on a Diamond table with decent cloth.

Gary

gatorchad

Registered
I'm not confident in any offensive option here. Too much to overcome. I'm with Bob...I'm ducking; behind the 6 with the 2 ball in the middle of the end rail.

If I do fire at it, I'll take the 5 railer.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This seems like a fun option provided you got the stroke and the cloth is fast... on that table im sure you would probably be able to get around.

Self explanatory from there. 3 in the side, cueball down to end rail and back up for 4 ball

That's what I was thinking, if you can avoid that 7-ball. With the speed you've got to hit it, the cue ball is probably going closer into that corner than you've shown it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Stun takes you straight into the 7-ball. You'd have use a moderate amount of draw to play your shot, which is tricky.

Between this and the 5-rail shot peppersauce and Icon of Sin described, I think I'd probably take the 5-railer. As an added bonus, if you accidentally clip the 9-ball on your way through the middle of the table on the 5-railer, you stand a good chance of ending up even better on the 3.

Bob, you're safety's not on; it's a diamond ;)

-Andrew
It's probably just semantics...but I'm stunning it...how low it should be
hit is determined by conditions.
Draw will curve, I want whitey going straight to the short rail.
Why I go this way is that you never hook yourself....if you don't get
what you want, you put the guy in jail.

The five-railer requires a lot of speed....the speed makes whitey go
wide...which makes hitting the seven directly or off the second rail
a dangerous factor to your financial well being. :eek:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Low left on CB playing 2 in the side...Draw out of the corner to the lower right pocket catching the end rail for shape on the 3 in the side...or corner if I over run shape for the 3 in the side

Really doesn't take a hard stroke on a Diamond table with decent cloth.

Gary

I'm going this way. These "How would you play this?" threads are fun, but for a lot of them you really have to be at the table to see the angles correctly. Johnnyt

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob has stated it pretty well, I like his 'should do' shot.

But if it lays good..hit the 2 firm 1/2 tip low, one tip right...stun to about first diamond on short rail, 2 rail out of corner, spinning down table to the window above the 9.

If that works, I think the rest can be handled.

Basically same position as Peppersauce and Icon, just another path to get there. Don't have to hit it as hard as the 5 railer. To me, the 5 railer speed takes me too close to the corner, maybe catching the 7, or bumping the 9 coming around.

I too, think the safe may be the right shot, but I'm probably shooting.:eek::eek:

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
wow, super aggressive options have been provided. I think it's an easy duck behind the 6 shot. haha, sorry, just read that was someone elses option. If it were say a ring game (no safties allowed), I'd cut the 2 in the side with inside....I think I could hold it enough for the 3 in the opposite side, but in a tourney, I'm playing safe.

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
That's what I was thinking, if you can avoid that 7-ball. With the speed you've got to hit it, the cue ball is probably going closer into that corner than you've shown it.
Yeah it would definitely be closer to the pocket, but when looking at the side view I dont think this 7 is in play. Even if it does collide with the 7 you still have safety opportunities there. The only real danger is not getting past the 9 ball after the third rail.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Yeah it would definitely be closer to the pocket, but when looking at the side view I dont think this 7 is in play. Even if it does collide with the 7 you still have safety opportunities there. The only real danger is not getting past the 9 ball after the third rail.

If you hit the 5th rail, I think you're golden. If you misjudge your speed and come up short, you could be hooked. I agree about the 7, to my eyes it's not in play. If you're going to run into a ball going this route, I think it's going to be the 9.

-Andrew

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don't think it's going to hit the 7 but I do think that at the speed needed to get the 5 cushions as you've shown the shot will scratch. Note the position of the 2 ball: half a diamond on the left side from the center of the table and 3/4 diamond above the side pockets. The cue ball is half a diamond from the side and a ball off the cushion. I'll have to look at this on a table to be more sure, but I think there is a problem.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member

Im with you, 5 rails natural, not difficult to navigate the cue ball, its a run out table.