Tap eagle started last night and the Apa is THREATENED!! Lol

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry ..the title should say tap league. Darn auto correct lol

So after the episode of our local lo allowing a team in the league that was under age and couldn't play in the bars except for one and when that place closed still expected us to pay for matches that couldn't be played I got aggressive about starting a tap league. The tap operator in this area is the biggest in the country but hasn't been able to get into York due to the Apa lo threatening anyone who thought about giving It a try. There are enough angry teams now that don't give a crap and agreed to play! So last night was the first night and it went well but I heard from more then one player that they were told if they played tap they were no longer welcome to play in Apa ! Ridiculous I'm a manager at lowes and I couldn't imagine telling someone if they show at Home Depot don't come back here! Lol I highly doubt they will make good on that promise. Has this happened in anyone else area ?
I must say this is another situation of a bad lo not a bad league. Everyone liked playing in Apa but I could go on forever about how they were treated by the lo but that is why they are leaving...not the Apa itself.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Report the League Operator to the APA.

Nobody likes a turd, and that APA league operator sounds like a turd.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would somebody bother telling the LO he/she is playing in another league? That is not the business of the LO what you do outside of APA.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Interesting,

I heard most of the bar-league players around here are moving to TAP B/C of the 25 rule, and the way TAP keeps score. If I hadda choice between TAP & APA, I would play TAP. Trouble is APA is at the poolroom (9ft tables), and TAP is at the bars(7ft tables). I like the big tables.

What part of NY are you in ??

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard quite a few things about how the APA league operates in our area and none of it was nice. Basically the same thing, the league operator blacklisting players and business that want to do other leagues.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm not surprised, sadly.

I wonder what will happen if/when TAP comes here. (I hear rumors) I hope it won't be that way here, but who knows...

APA LO's have a lot more money invested in their territories than other league operators, for better and for worse. They also are usually the incumbent. It has been their territory, their sandbox, for a while, in most cases. It is a threat to their livelihood.

So it doesn't surprise me. I'm not condoning it, I'm just not surprised.

Last edited:

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They found out through Facebook and people who like to talk lol

This is exactly why I have not added our local LO as a FB friend.

The LO really needs to learn what customer service is. At the end of the day APA players are paying the LO salary. If people are jumping ship to TAP then having that information is important and trying to find a way to offer a better service. Threatening people is the exact opposite of what he should be doing.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not surprised, sadly.

I wonder what will happen if/when TAP comes here. (I hear rumors) I hope it won't be that way here, but who knows...

APA LO's have a lot more money invested in their territories than other league operators, for better and for worse. They also are usually the incumbent. It has been their territory, their sandbox, for a while, in most cases. It is a threat to their livelihood.

So it doesn't surprise me. I'm not condoning it, I'm just not surprised.

Yea it kind of amazes me that it works in this business but you couldn't dream of doing that in any other business lol hey I'm happy. I wanted tap here for a while to play at the expo so it works for me.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The LO really needs to learn what customer service is. At the end of the day APA players are paying the LO salary. If people are jumping ship to TAP then having that information is important and trying to find a way to offer a better service. Threatening people is the exact opposite of what he should be doing.

I agree man. I'm Finally hearing Apa players come to there senses and say hey I'm the damn customer.. You need me not the other way around.

Btw the teams that recently filed complaints got kicked out.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in a couple of APA leagues years ago and found the LO have the same mindset as the APA. They only care about making a buck and are willing to do whatever they want to get it. As much as I despise the APA and the LO's I got to know, the APA does attract new pool players and that is good for the establishments that have pool tables. Congrats to the OP of the thread for taking a stand and doing what he wants to do!

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. In the ATL area, we have TAP, NAPA. APA, all playing out of the same pool halls. Many people play in at least two different leagues. No problems as far as I know.

We are also fortunate that all play on 9' tables (at least at MBC)

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member

Blocking people/organizations on FB is your right.

Seriously, you should go the extra mile. :grin-square:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
APA league operators

It is not surprising to me that the APA league operator is attempting to blacklist the players that also want to play in TAP - or any other league.

We have run into that all over the country.

I do believe it is the League Operators that have this attitude - but I also know the APA national office is aware of that type of behavior - yet they have not taken any action that I am aware of.

The APA has a lot of league operators that think they own the players.
I also think the players need to remember they are the customer.

I agree with the OP - show me any other business that takes this type of position. It is ridiculous, but I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

It is unfortunate because we should all be promoting the game.

Mark Griffin

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Apparently APA LOs think they are the mob. "If you play for them guys we cant give youse no protection" :grin:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you. Sorry to here you have an a$$hole in charge of your apa area. Our LO is a complete stand up guy. Works his butt off for us. Our area grew by 4 teams this session. Good luck with your new league.

Corvette Alan

Registered Screwball
My local APA LO got all prissy with me when he found out that my team was also playing APA for a different LO in another county. Go figure.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
More APA 'stuff'

Just for keeping everyone current, go to this FaceBook Link:
https://www.facebook.com/neusapoolleague

The New England USAPL league manager had several APA teams join his league operation in Colchester, CT..

The local APA franchisee decided he would offer FREE pool to those teams..

So - read the post on Face Book.
Might get interesting. The APA has a tendency to be heavy-handed. As stated before, shouldn't everyone just try to improve the world of pool. I thought competition was supposed to be good - and create a better 'product' for the consumer??

Mark Griffin

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for keeping everyone current, go to this FaceBook Link:
https://www.facebook.com/neusapoolleague

The New England USAPL league manager had several APA teams join his league operation in Colchester, CT..

The local APA franchisee decided he would offer FREE pool to those teams..

So - read the post on Face Book.
Might get interesting. The APA has a tendency to be heavy-handed. As stated before, shouldn't everyone just try to improve the world of pool. I thought competition was supposed to be good - and create a better 'product' for the consumer??

Mark Griffin

i read the face book post and here is my opinion.

i dont know if he is trying to be funny with his remark about playing free apa or not but i think it was uncalled for.

the next thing is i don't like when some one puts down anther league while trying to make theirs look better.

i visit my local apa league face book from time to time. npt one time have i ever seen a negative remark....or for that matter a remark period about any other league. all you will ever see is news concerning apa....strictly apa ..never any mention of any other league.

the same holds true for our local napa league face book page. nothing on there about any other league period. just news concerning napa.

yea i realize there are apa lo's who are ....for lack of a better term...ass holes. the same can be said for other leagues also.

too bad all lo's can not be like either my apa or napa lo's. they both are great people .

a lot of players around here play botth leagues and neither lo has a problem with that.

asa matter of fact my napa lo also plays in the apa league here.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
APA and league operators

Lorider-

I agree that all league operators should act in a manner best for the game.but that's just not how it is.

There are many good operators among all the different leagues. But in all honesty, I have never heard of any leagues (except APA) that actually threatens others (pool rooms, bars and players) with a ban or boycott if players elect to also play in another league.

That behavior is not good for the game. Everyone should remember that the player is the customer.

And I don't believe that is elevating one league while dragging down another. Everyone needs to be responsible for their actions - and in an industry like ours, comments will occur. The trick is to keep things accurate.

Respectfully-and wishing better for billiards

Mark griffin