How complicated or costly?

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Hi - I'd like to get the Wavy pin on my Mezz Exceed replaced with a Uni-Loc joint. Ideally adding a set of rings close to the joint itself (is this even possible?) I'll be pairing it with a Revo shaft.

https://imgur.com/a/tvf0A

I really don't want to send it to Mezz and wait forever and a day to get it returned, but I'm uncertain if this is standard work that an average cue-maker could do without issue. I also have a stacked leather wrap to be replaced with a standard black leather.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me whether I should be concerned, and perhaps what a ballpark might be so I don't get ripped off if I go that route?

Lastly - anyone reputable on here have some free time and want to do it for me?

b

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi - I'd like to get the Wavy pin on my Mezz Exceed replaced with a Uni-Loc joint. Ideally adding a set of rings close to the joint itself (is this even possible?) I'll be pairing it with a Revo shaft.

https://imgur.com/a/tvf0A

I really don't want to send it to Mezz and wait forever and a day to get it returned, but I'm uncertain if this is standard work that an average cue-maker could do without issue. I also have a stacked leather wrap to be replaced with a standard black leather.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me whether I should be concerned, and perhaps what a ballpark might be so I don't get ripped off if I go that route?

Lastly - anyone reputable on here have some free time and want to do it for me?

b

Good morning Willy:
Things that might help.
Uni loc, quick release or Radial?
I can understand changing the wrap but why??? The joint rings. What you have, matches the cue and Revo shafts are all black. Which matches everything. I believe Mezz cues are around .840 at the joint or close so you should be ok there.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Good morning Willy:
Things that might help.
Uni loc, quick release or Radial?
I can understand changing the wrap but why??? The joint rings. What you have, matches the cue and Revo shafts are all black. Which matches everything. I believe Mezz cues are around .840 at the joint or close so you should be ok there.

Thanks for the response Mike. Uni-loc quick release, the joint rings were just something I was thinking about to keep symmetry in the cue - but you are right, it wouldn't be worth the effort / cost even if it was do-able.

So simply a change from the Mezz wavy pin to Uni Loc quick release and a nice wrap install. I would think this is pretty basic stuff, but I also don't want to trust my favorite cue to just anyone...

b

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response Mike. Uni-loc quick release, the joint rings were just something I was thinking about to keep symmetry in the cue - but you are right, it wouldn't be worth the effort / cost even if it was do-able.

So simply a change from the Mezz wavy pin to Uni Loc quick release and a nice wrap install. I would think this is pretty basic stuff, but I also don't want to trust my favorite cue to just anyone...

b

Somewhat basic to someone experienced with uni loc quick release. I would suspect changing the stacked leather to regular leather might be more of a challenge as I have never removed one where the channel wasn't screwed with when it was installed. Just something to be aware of. For your location, I would ask Paul Drexler if he's taking work. Pretty short drive.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't the Mezz Wavy pins usually a flat face, while all Uni-Loc quick release are piloted? Pretty sure it's more than just a pint replacement. Radial would just be a pin replacement. Well, bore, plug and then replace.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

b

Willy, I am not a cuemaker, but this thought crossed my mind, so I will ask. If the cue in question is already your "favorite cue," why not just leave it alone? :) It obviously plays well as is, or it likely wouldn't be your favorite cue. :wink:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't the Mezz Wavy pins usually a flat face, while all Uni-Loc quick release are piloted? Pretty sure it's more than just a pint replacement. Radial would just be a pin replacement. Well, bore, plug and then replace.

Maybe. Wavy screws install is 5/16x14.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willy, I am not a cuemaker, but this thought crossed my mind, so I will ask. If the cue in question is already your "favorite cue," why not just leave it alone? :) It obviously plays well as is, or it likely wouldn't be your favorite cue. :wink:

The weight is close. Uni loc screw plus brass insert in the revo shaft.
Next....:grin-square:

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member

Hi - I've been trying out a Revo shaft for the last couple of weeks and I really like it a lot. However, aesthetics are important to me, and I love my Mezz cue look and feel - it happens to have an ebony forearm and joint which would pair well with the Revo.

b

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isnt it possible to change the shaft joint thread instead? I think it would seriously devaluate the butt if the joint pin was changed and those exceed butts are pretty expensive and harder to get than a revo shaft

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Isnt it possible to change the shaft joint thread instead? I think it would seriously devaluate the butt if the joint pin was changed and those exceed butts are pretty expensive and harder to get than a revo shaft

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great question, I asked Mezz and Seyberts about this and neither would do the work. Has anyone successfully done this?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what this means, is this some other option or a tongue-in-cheek poke at my wanting to change out the joint on a nice cue to fit the new fangled shaft?

b

Not a poke at all. Weight wise. You'll be very close to what you already have. Just answering what some people may not know

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the United joint that is 5/16-14 compatable. The Wavy 'fits' 3/8-10 but not perfect like the United fits the 5/16-14.

The wavy pin installs into the butt. The part you don't see. Is a 5/16x14. Uni loc quick release is threaded into the butt. .276x14 with a 5/16 shank.
What I don't know is, Does Mezz install thier screws what I consider correctly. Meaning threaded in or use a pilot hole and press them in the way some people here do it.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willy it`s much easier to change the threads in the Revo shaft to Wavy.
Sure it`s a expensive shaft, but the I think the devaluation of your Exceed butt will be more significant than the price of a Revo shaft.
Remember that your Wavy butt is flat faced. You will have to do more than just swap out the pin, you will have to make a recess so the Uni-Loc pilot will fit in the butt of your cue.
As for the wrap, Those stacked wraps are usually thicker than a regular leather wrap, meaning the wrap channel is smaller in diameter than normal, and thus your standard leather wrap want flush with the rest of the cue. You might have tou build up the wrap groove with veneer or epoxy, then get it to the correct depth again for the wrap.
Not impossible at all, just time consuming to get it right.