Shaft diameter variance

Barry13

Registered
So your tip is 12.75, ferrule is 12.70, the wood adjacent to the ferrule is 12.50, about half an inch to an inch below that is 12.39, then it starts to climb back up to 12.50.
First of all: 12.75 -12.70 =.05mm or .002" across the diameter or .001" per side. Hardly noticeable. In fact very very good. A non issue.
Second: 12.70 - 12.50 = .20mm or .008" across the diameter or .004" per side. (Note: the thickness of a human hair = .004") Can you really notice that? While shooting, your bridge hand never will touch that area. Another non issue.
Third: 12.50 - 12.39 = .11mm or .004" across the diameter or .002" per side. Not bad at all. Again, do you bridge the shaft a half to one inch near the ferrule?
All of these variances occur in areas of the shaft where your bridge hand will never or rarely touch. So what's the problem?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
How hard are you squeezing? I've seen guys really crank the calipers down, and wood is softer than a ferrule. The same applies to cleanings, laying into the shaft wears away more material in the wood than it does at the ferrule.

This is a good point, and it's a good reason I would recommend a good micrometer, such as a Browne & Sharpe. It has a slipping internal shaft, so equal pressure is put on each measurement, no matter how many turns you make. It's sort of like a slipping mainspring on an automatic watch.

All the best,
WW

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a good point, and it's a good reason I would recommend a good micrometer, such as a Browne & Sharpe. It has a slipping internal shaft, so equal pressure is put on each measurement, no matter how many turns you make. It's sort of like a slipping mainspring on an automatic watch.

All the best,
WW

I personally would recommend anyone who does not work on pool cue shafts professionally to never ever buy a micrometer, or a set of calipers, and then issues like this thread never become issues.

And actually, I never cut the ferrule when retipping, and doubt most cuemakers do. I actually cut the tip oversize and then burnish it to the ferrule size.