shaft taper vs weight

accdealer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let’s just say for example you had 30” shaft that was 13.5mm with a weight of 4.5oz. if you turned that shaft to 12.8, what would roughly be the new weight of the shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will definitely depend on how long (what kind of) the taper you want to get. I quess you'd hear the answer from some experienced cue makers in here. When it comes to my experience I'm just finishing my shaft to play with. On the previous turning the dowel 16,5mm at the tip and 21.6mm joint end conical shape weighted 6,7oz. After turning to 14,1mm at the tip and 21.5 mm joint end I've got the weight 5,3oz but my future shaft is 31,1" long. I'l have one more turning to get the final shape with 12,7mm at the tip and 14mm 12 inches after the tip. I want to get the shaft with more or less stiff hit and suspect to get the weight close to 4,9oz. So I suspect my shaft lose 0,4oz after the last turning. I'll know for sure after the job is done.

PoppaSaun

Banned
let’s just say for example you had 30” shaft that was 13.5mm with a weight of 4.5oz. if you turned that shaft to 12.8, what would roughly be the new weight of the shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Impossible to know without a lot more specs. You'd need to know:

-Original taper (exact shape)
-New taper (exact shape)
-Ferrule material
-density of the shaft wood

In real-world terms, if you took off 0.7mm for 13" of the cue, you are removing ~0.4 cubic inches of maple, which would be about 0.16oz.