Poll to protect cuemaker/repair sources

Should the sharing of cuemaker supply sources be done ONLY thru PM in all forums?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I do not agree with your open ended comments about "certain types of people." Perhaps you can clarify it, you asked for opinions and didn't like them?

BEST SOLUTION to all this crud?

Look at it from the point of view of the people who own the site.

Imagine being in their shoes, they need to sell Gold memberships AND sell Advertisements.

It's not easy selling ads if people like me keep posting my favorite suppliers name over and over, it would turn off any new advertiser.

Think about the site from the owners point of view and their rules make cents, oops, sense.

Correct a fool and he will hate on you.

Correct a wise man and he will Thank you.

First off, the poll is to see how CUEMAKERS and REPAIR guys feel about whether the rules in the ask the cuemaker section should apply everywhere on the site, Are you Either? If not, thanks for your comments, but....
This poll isn't about the site making money, it's about protecting certain aspects of a small, one man ownership type of company which is a big part of our forum community, and a large part of our industry of cuemaking. If the forum doesn't help to protect it, it will effectively stifle and chase away most cuemakers/repair guys that actually know what they are doing from sharing, carefully...., and only leave the hacks that don't give a crap about the ramifications of giving out bad advice or using sup-par supplies.
My comment of 'one dimensional' was aimed at the people that seem to be only looking from their own point of benefiting from the revealing of sources, not from the side of those that have actually spent hours, days, even month/years to find certain sources of products that they use for their cues to produce a very quality product, nor are they looking at it from the point of the customers receiving such products from those makers. Hence...1 dimensional, imo. When you have invested time/effort to find and nurture these suppliers, you share it carefully and expect it to be respected when you do share it.
The theory that a business will grow big with the exposure sounds great, but, as explained very well by Chris Hightower earlier, that can cause a supplier to, either, no longer be able to supply the demand and goes under, or in order to try to supply, the cost goes high, and quality goes lower which kills it for both the cuemaker, and eventually the supplier. The cuebuilding industry is not a big player in the overall wood supply world, so what is allocated can dwindle very fast.

HOW MANY MEMBERS ARE AUTO MECHANICS ????? I know several Makers/Repair guys here that are, and so I ask them...do you reveal to your customers that you get your parts from XXX auto parts store locally, and at 20% lower than they can get, and you do the job in about 1/8 the amount of that time the 'book' says ....BUT you charge full retail for parts, plus markup, and go by the book charge for labor for the job??, OF COURSE NOT, Would you be happy if that info was splayed all over the auto forums that you guys AND the GENERAL PUBLIC belong to? Detailing the name and website of the suppliers? How about posting it on facebook?? Usually, that leads to customers calling them and demanding the same deals, which usually pisses the suppliers off...no joke. So why should it be ok for Cuemakers to have their sources outed by a bunch of people in a forum, not realizing the full impact it will have over everything?
I have had a couple people literally demand I build a cue and only charge exactly what they read here on AZ what the prices for such woods and supplies where, and only charge for the 'by the hour labor' to build.

Dave

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, the poll is to see how CUEMAKERS and REPAIR guys feel about whether the rules in the ask the cuemaker section should apply everywhere on the site, Are you Either? If not, thanks for your comments, but....
This poll isn't about the site making money, it's about protecting certain aspects of a small, one man ownership type of company which is a big part of our forum community, and a large part of our industry of cuemaking. If the forum doesn't help to protect it, it will effectively stifle and chase away most cuemakers/repair guys that actually know what they are doing from sharing, carefully...., and only leave the hacks that don't give a crap about the ramifications of giving out bad advice or using sup-par supplies.
My comment of 'one dimensional' was aimed at the people that seem to be only looking from their own point of benefiting from the revealing of sources, not from the side of those that have actually spent hours, days, even month/years to find certain sources of products that they use for their cues to produce a very quality product, nor are they looking at it from the point of the customers receiving such products from those makers. Hence...1 dimensional, imo. When you have invested time/effort to find and nurture these suppliers, you share it carefully and expect it to be respected when you do share it.
The theory that a business will grow big with the exposure sounds great, but, as explained very well by Chris Hightower earlier, that can cause a supplier to, either, no longer be able to supply the demand and goes under, or in order to try to supply, the cost goes high, and quality goes lower which kills it for both the cuemaker, and eventually the supplier. The cuebuilding industry is not a big player in the overall wood supply world, so what is allocated can dwindle very fast.

HOW MANY MEMBERS ARE AUTO MECHANICS ????? I know several Makers/Repair guys here that are, and so I ask them...do you reveal to your customers that you get your parts from XXX auto parts store locally, and at 20% lower than they can get, and you do the job in about 1/8 the amount of that time the 'book' says ....BUT you charge full retail for parts, plus markup, and go by the book charge for labor for the job??, OF COURSE NOT, Would you be happy if that info was splayed all over the auto forums that you guys AND the GENERAL PUBLIC belong to? Detailing the name and website of the suppliers? How about posting it on facebook?? Usually, that leads to customers calling them and demanding the same deals, which usually pisses the suppliers off...no joke. So why should it be ok for Cuemakers to have their sources outed by a bunch of people in a forum, not realizing the full impact it will have over everything?
I have had a couple people literally demand I build a cue and only charge exactly what they read here on AZ what the prices for such woods and supplies where, and only charge for the 'by the hour labor' to build.

Dave

ANY questions on who I am or what I do can be found at my website;

CUESDIRECTLY.COM

I build cues 6 days per week, sorry I don't post in online forums very often. AZBilliards gets 90% of all comments I make online.

When I build cues, I make the parts myself, I don't buy other peoples parts and piece them together.

I currently have a nice stock of woods, enough for 300 cues hanging right now. I never accept deposits and 95% of the builds are from woods I have had hanging at least one year. (Many builders take deposits and then order their woods, I don't ***** about their practices.) I offer full refunds to anyone not happy.

I buy from (A,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,) and can't wait for my doodles this year, they send them to me because I buy lots of things from them, they know me and they would tell you that yes, David Brainard builds cues.

Thanks Dave for allowing me to clarify myself, carry on.

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, there was no rule by me or the forum saying I cannot, nor it's advised I should not, partake in the discussion, I simply was abstaining to see how things go. So, are you a cuemaker or repair person? If so, then thanks for your input, As that is a requirement that I made in order to partake in this.....BUT judging by your posts on the general forum, you don't qualify, so thanks for your input, but please feel free to troll elsewhere.
Dave

I don't care what you think I do or don't do.

For the record, I thought your "Poll" had a chance of some interesting discussion, but you shot yourself in the foot with your criticism. How is your poll doing since you shot your mouth off? Not so good I would say.

your ego and ignorance must be blissful.

Carry on.

JC

Coos Cues
My business was hurt along with the few others of us who already were buying all the company could produce. You think you know who i am talking about, but I doubt it, as they have been out of business for some time.

I have no idea who you were talking about Chris and didn't think I did. I wasn't denigrating you for wanting to keep your source private as long as you could as you were obviously getting a good deal. Most of us would do the same. Most already know the lesson you learned from that it seems. I have yet to see anyone share a good wood source publicly here.

JC

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I don't care what you think I do or don't do.

For the record, I thought your "Poll" had a chance of some interesting discussion, but you shot yourself in the foot with your criticism. How is your poll doing since you shot your mouth off? Not so good I would say.

your ego and ignorance must be blissful.

Carry on.

Ok, as the OP, I will ask you politely to either drop the tone down or please don't post. There is no need to rude. Your tone will only take this thread in the wrong direction. To answer your question, the reason the poll hasn't changed is because it closed as of 12:01 this morning, not due to my comments.
Thank you.
Dave

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The poll has closed, and I want to thank everyone that took the time to vote in it. has been forwarded to Mike and we will see what happens.
Thanks,
Dave

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Well, I pm'ed Mike with the poll results, which he was aware of, back on 11/28, and again on 12/6... and so far, NO response. Guess that in it's self is an answer. Well, I for one will not be sharing anything here even thru pm, from here on out. Let the 'everything should be freely shared' people handle it from here.
Out
dave

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have yet to see anyone share a good wood source publicly here.

JC

JC, I have some fantastic supply sources, do you ever get up to Poorland?

I have suppliers who bring the materials into the country in the first place, they wholesale it to suppliers around the country. We both live near large shipping ports, many wood suppliers in Portland are within blocks of the docks.

One supplier loves Pool and he has treated me very well for 6 years now. They have a large warehouse with two forklifts and at times they have moved lots of material to get me the one large piece with straight grain.

Another supplier has more to choose from and they have it cut into smaller pieces and turning squares.

They're easy to find, let me know if I can help. Maybe you know some great importers in the Coos Bay area, my Dad was born there, his grandparents family started a Myrtlewood business there in the late 1920's and its still in business, different owners of course. PM me if you need to and I will give you the best sources I can offer, take care, Dave.