Fast Eddie's Stick From The Hustler

camusmuse

Registered
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what stick did Fast Eddie play with in the Hustler? I have searched....and searched. Guess I havent found the right key words.

Any help?

Thanks....

camusmuse

Registered
Pretty sure it was a Rambow...I think both his stick and Jackie Gleason's stick were BOTH Rambows.

Damn....maybe after I win the lottery I can play like movie stars. Though I do have several titlest cues that I may convert some day. After I get my shop together and master building sticks.......lol.

Thanks for the info.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated.....especially pictures and what happened to the sticks in the movie.

platypus

SirBanksALotJr
Silver Member
I belive they were Rambow cues. I will try to scan in a picture i have of Gleason and Newman down on the lag. I will still be hard to tell cuz its in b/w. The Paul Newman signature in gold always distracts me from looking at much else in the pic

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Photo2.jpg

camusmuse

Registered
Wow.....thats a picture to hang on my pool room wall....seriously.

Thanks for the history lesson...

I also love the still shot of Gleason and Newman on the lag.....interesting to see their different approach. Eddie appears to play high on the ball and Fats plays low. Of course its just a still picture....I personally find a little bit of high gives a bit more consistency and control.....

Thanks again....

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
I also love the still shot of Gleason and Newman on the lag.....interesting to see their different approach. Eddie appears to play high on the ball and Fats plays low.

Jackie Gleason was an excellent pool player and did his own shooting in the movie.

Paul Newman was coached by Willie Mosconi for the Hustler and Mike Sigel for the Color of Money.

Mosconi did most of shooting for Newman.

camusmuse

Registered
Interesting. I knew Gleason was a player, and Newman wasnt. I had always heard that Gleason was the one giving lessons to Newman, but your explanation makes more sense. I had also heard that Newman got pretty good, but I guess not that good if he had to be retaught for the CoM.

Another question....if Gleason got a Rambow from Mosconi, did Newman get one as well?

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what stick did Fast Eddie play with in the Hustler? I have searched....and searched. Guess I havent found the right key words.

Any help?

Thanks....

The cues that Fats and East Eddie used were both Rambow Cue's. Wille Mosconi was the technical adviser for the movie and he played and was friends with Herman Rambow. He took both of the stars of the film to see Rambow where they had cues presented to them that Wille had made for the movie.

Throughout the movie when ever you see just a pair hands making a shot that was Wille shooting it.

Hope this helps.

camusmuse

Registered
Would be fantastic to get a pic of both of those sticks together.....

I know its just a movie.....and guessing that some of the tougher shots(like when Gleason said "you left me enough" after Newman broke safe and Gleason nailed the 6(I think) in the corner) were "wired"....but that movie inspired me, and obviously countless others.

Didnt the "real" Fats(New York) actually take on "Minnesota" after the movie?

...and yes any info helps and again is very much appreciated. This is a great sport...we all gotta keep it alive. Dont get me wrong, I love my XBox(even have Virtual pool.....lol), but I'm happiest dancing around a nice table with a challenging opponent.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jackie Gleason was an excellent pool player and did his own shooting in the movie.

Paul Newman was coached by Willie Mosconi for the Hustler and Mike Sigel for the Color of Money.

Mosconi did most of shooting for Newman.

Actually, by the time The Color Money was made Newman played pretty well and Sigel was brought in to teach Cruise who couldn't hold a stick. Sigel was chosen because he was left-handed and it was thought he could better teach the left-handed Cruise to play.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you tell us who the calligrapher was? +Newman...

Who can name the gentleman who did all of Rambow's caligraphy on his cues?

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

P.S. GREAT pics of the cue!

So who did the calligraphy? I was recently sold a Rambow with Al Taylor on it, and I know the seller personally to be completely honest so I did a buy it now. I would like to know the history. I will have to look it up, but from memory Al Taylor wrote a billiard column and possibly a book. I also have two hub cues that came together in one lot, and two other Rambows that came as a pair from a cuemaker (I think this pair were someone's pool and 3C cues- his name was Roper.) And to top this off, I was sold Bennie Allen's Rambow, which is a conversion from a Brunswick #36, the one piece version of a 360. Allen was pictured in Billiards Magazine playing with it when it was still a one piece cue. Allen himself worked on cues and tips for Willie Hoppe, and made his granson a short child's cue out of an old "Kling's" house cue, and I own that cue as well. His grandson wanted all the stuff to stay together. The Al Taylor cue is the only one with the calligraphy on it, and looks to be an early version of it. Luckily for me the cue has aged and worn in such a way that it pretty much authenticates itself. So please let me know the calligrapher. And sorry about my error about the Hustler Gleason cue... I had seen it on Billiardcue.com but just remembered wrong and or typed wrong. Nice cue there, Mr. Abbott. Does anyone know Paul Newman's story about what he would say to punks who wanted to gamble against him after he played Felson? He would keep turning a guy down for more and more money, playing nice, and once the guy started barking some serious gambling money, Newman would say "ok, let's play for your house!" You should have seen him tell the story, with his tone turning Felson-serious when he told the last part! Classic. Nobody took him up on it in the end.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Hunger; Don't be alarmed you have an original! The man who did 99% of the caligraphy for his cues, was a long time score board caligrapher for the PGA in the 30's,40's and 50's. His name was Charlie Kimmel, a litttle "banty rooster" type, that stood about 5'2".

He was from Chicago, and played fair straight pool and billiards about the same. He mostly hung around in pool room on the Northside called, "Howard n' Paulina", owned by Bob Segal. Charlie used to prey on the young, naive, wealthy Jewish kids that hung around. I don't think I ever witnessed a game with Charlie playing that an argument didn't insue shortly after it's start. I guess it might have been that 5'2'' thing, I don't know! Needless to say he was just another guy in the pool world with GREAT penmanship!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The man who did 99% of the caligraphy for his cues, was a long time score board caligrapher for the PGA in the 30's,40's and 50's. His name was Charlie Kimmel, a litttle "banty rooster" type, that stood about 5'2".

In reference to Earl Crew's scoreboard writing abilities:
earl crew.JPG