Poll to protect cuemaker/repair sources

Should the sharing of cuemaker supply sources be done ONLY thru PM in all forums?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
So, how many cuemakers / Repair people feel that the posting of our sources of supplies should be protected in every area of AZ Billiards like it is in the ATCM subforum or thrown out to the public everywhere else other than the ATCM, which forbids it? With all due respect to all members, this is Strictly a poll for Cue Makers and repair men/repair women, NOT for the other members to weigh in on, as this question has a direct affect on the above mentioned groups whose livelihood is likely to be impacted verses just regular members without a stake in anything.
As a headsup, It will be a poll where your username will be visible to others. If we get a good amount of people that want the sources protected, then I will petition the owners to make a sticky to the appropriate forums, or amend the general rules.
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I didn't vote because I didn't see an option that closely fit my feelings. If I share something with you & ask that you not further share it, then I expect you to not share it publicly or via PM, TXT, FB, smoke signal, etc.

However, being restricted on sharing common supply outfits is dumb. If the supplier targets the cue making industry market, then obviously they would like to grow & expand their business by selling as much product as they can to as many makers as they can. By us keeping them a secret we are starving them of any sales besides from those of us in the know, and soon enough they'll be belly up & nobody gets to buy from them.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I understand the democratic idea of a poll but....is it really necessary?
It should be common sense to PM peers an answer to a supply question. Shouldn't it?
Anyone that deals with me knows that if I tell them anything about anything it is for their ears only. I mean for the love of the craft, if someone isn't smart enough to use google these days should they really be trying to build a cue?
I agree with Eric to a point. But, some of the places I get my stuff I really wish no one else knew about them. Is that being selfish? Maybe, but I don't care because when I call them up I want the best they have in the smallest time frame available. I don't want to wait till they have time to get to me or send me a bunch of crappy woods because someone else knows the rabbit hole. There are very few places left like this in our industry anyway so I'm probably wasting my time typing this. Also, I don't believe they'll go broke because like most places they are providing us a only a small slice of their pie anyway.
Do your home work, you'll appreciate it that much more if you find it yourself.
Dave, just go now and ask Mike to copy and paste the sticky here also. Gheezz.....

JC

Coos Cues
I also don't see an answer that fits my feelings on this subject.

Ask publicly and if someone knows the answer they can choose to post it publicly for all to view or answer by PM with whatever conditions they trust you to uphold on an individual basis. No one is saying you must post publicly anything.

The only reason I see for PM only is to keep the person who told you not to tell anyone else from finding out that you can't be trusted.:frown:

Most won't share their top wood sources or anything else with finite supply with anyone anyway and the rest is just tools and commodities.

Just don't understand what the big deal is.

JC

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to the OP for posting this, I will change my ways.

In the past, when anyone asked where to get something, I always chimed in with the fantastic supplier I go to most often.

They were a great advertiser for many years.

They stopped advertising on here, it's not right for me to give them free advertising on here any longer.

And to take things one step further, my Gold membership lapsed and I will never put anything for sale on AZBilliards without it. All the time I had Gold, I never listed one single cue.

That is my opinion, no one should be selling on here without first paying for the Gold, the only exceptions would be private sales from members who are not in the business.

Thanks, Dave.

JC

Coos Cues
Thanks to the OP for posting this, I will change my ways.

In the past, when anyone asked where to get something, I always chimed in with the fantastic supplier I go to most often.

They were a great advertiser for many years.

They stopped advertising on here, it's not right for me to give them free advertising on here any longer.

And to take things one step further, my Gold membership lapsed and I will never put anything for sale on AZBilliards without it. All the time I had Gold, I never listed one single cue.

That is my opinion, no one should be selling on here without first paying for the Gold, the only exceptions would be private sales from members who are not in the business.

Thanks, Dave.

Isn't that sort of a different issue than the poll question? They probably stopped advertising on here for the same reason I'm not in the yellow pages for the last 20 years for my auto repair business. When you have what folks want to buy, word of mouth takes care of it. So you save your money.

I wonder if the yellow page salesmen are boycotting my shop?:confused:

JC (Gold Member who sees the value of supporting this site)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I voted for the top one, but it is a little over what I really feel is best. It is just the closest one to how I feel. I drafted some rules that I feel would apply to this forum. Here is the only reason I could see AZ would not want to put them in place, but have not been told so by anyone so this is just opinion.

My thoughts as the administrator on the ICA forum is that as a forum overseer it might become a big hassle to start getting dozens of reports of violations all the time and create more work for them.

A while back AZ asked for volunteers to help oversee various forums. If some would volunteer and AZ could make the reporting of wholesale sources posted only go to the volunteer overseers and give them permission to delete posts it might work without being a big hassle for them.

Something all should consider is that this is the Cue Machinery and Supplies forum and that for rules to be fair it should also apply to wholesale sources on cue machinery parts as well as supplies like wood and such.

JC

Coos Cues
I voted for the top one, but it is a little over what I really feel is best. It is just the closest one to how I feel. I drafted some rules that I feel would apply to this forum. Here is the only reason I could see AZ would not want to put them in place, but have not been told so by anyone so this is just opinion.

My thoughts as the administrator on the ICA forum is that as a forum overseer it might become a big hassle to start getting dozens of reports of violations all the time and create more work for them.

A while back AZ asked for volunteers to help oversee various forums. If some would volunteer and AZ could make the reporting of wholesale sources posted only go to the volunteer overseers and give them permission to delete posts it might work without being a big hassle for them.

Something all should consider is that this is the Cue Machinery and Supplies forum and that for rules to be fair it should also apply to wholesale sources on cue machinery parts as well as supplies like wood and such.

Censorship by arbitrary decisions behind the scenes will not help this community.

JMO

JC

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't that sort of a different issue than the poll question?

"Should the sharing of cuemaker supply sources be done ONLY thru PM in all forums"

That is the question I responded too.

I spend lots of money from a company that sends me Doodles every Christmas, can't wait for this years shipment but I don't believe its right to mention their name in public posts.

John, lets just say I know many people who have done multi millions in business without the yellowed pages. A good business like yours needs no advertising, great job to you.

Keep up the great work John, the cue you posted looks great.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
If cue makers had kept everything secret like they did before the days of cue making books and dvd's ... how many of you would be cue makers today?
Should the makers of cue equipment stop telling their customers how to use them?
If you have secret sources and want them kept that way its simple ... dont tell anyone.
If someone else discovers your secret source and blabs about it ... then that is life.
Stop whining ... you found it didnt you?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If cue makers had kept everything secret like they did before the days of cue making books and dvd's ... how many of you would be cue makers today?
Should the makers of cue equipment stop telling their customers how to use them?
If you have secret sources and want them kept that way its simple ... dont tell anyone.
If someone else discovers your secret source and blabs about it ... then that is life.
Stop whining ... you found it didnt you?

Life does have a lot of hard bumps. I do not mind sharing sources unless I feel the negatives of sharing the source will out weigh the positives. Publically sharing wholesale sources almost always has the potential to hurt peoples businesses.
Long before there was a public forum for cuemakers I had a sweet deal with the best shaft supplier in Michigan. Very few knew about them and with me being one of their earliest customers they would send me a hundred shafts a month at a good price. Then a cuemaker visited my shop and I told him where my great shaft source was coming from. He left my place and went to Baltimore. He told all the carmakers in that area about the source. Then my standing order did not arrive. I knew the small cuenaker would not buy enough to hurt my supply. But after he told everyone my source, I was told me they just took on several new cuenakers which they named. Shortly after they raised the price over 40% and could no longer honor our old supply deal.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Censorship by arbitrary decisions behind the scenes will not help this community.

JMO

JC

On this point we disagree when it comes to enforcing a rule that is easy to decide if it is a violation. Let the moderator just blank out the source with a note saying Source Deleted and move on. We will all learn and only pm sources.

JC

Coos Cues
Publically sharing wholesale sources almost always has the potential to hurt peoples businesses.

Shortly after they raised the price over 40% and could no longer honor our old supply deal.

Someone's business wasn't hurt in this story. Care to guess who? For all you know the word of mouth advertising saved them from the brink of going out of business. There's always two sides.

What WilleeCue said just above. It's that simple, it really is.

JC

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Someone's business wasn't hurt in this story. Care to guess who? For all you know the word of mouth advertising saved them from the brink of going out of business. There's always two sides.

What WilleeCue said just above. It's that simple, it really is.

JC

My business was hurt along with the few others of us who already were buying all the company could produce. You think you know who i am talking about, but I doubt it, as they have been out of business for some time.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
As the poll starter, I have tried to stay out of the discussion...but I have to say, It's kinda sad to see how certain types of people think....one dimensional.
Dave

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes, it is sad

As the poll starter, I have tried to stay out of the discussion...but I have to say, It's kinda sad to see how certain types of people think....one dimensional.
Dave

You sir should follow your own advice and stay out of the discussion.

You started a poll, with the hope of gathering information from others regarding their opinion on your issue.

Several people have graciously responded to your poll and posted their opinion and you criticize them for the way they think?

Maybe what you really want is to inflate your own ego and sway people to your "one dimensional' way of thinking? Thats what is sad.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave

I do not agree with your open ended comments about "certain types of people." Perhaps you can clarify it, you asked for opinions and didn't like them?

BEST SOLUTION to all this crud?

Look at it from the point of view of the people who own the site.

Imagine being in their shoes, they need to sell Gold memberships AND sell Advertisements.

It's not easy selling ads if people like me keep posting my favorite suppliers name over and over, it would turn off any new advertiser.

Think about the site from the owners point of view and their rules make cents, oops, sense.

Correct a fool and he will hate on you.

Correct a wise man and he will Thank you.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
You sir should follow your own advice and stay out of the discussion.

You started a poll, with the hope of gathering information from others regarding their opinion on your issue.

Several people have graciously responded to your poll and posted their opinion and you criticize them for the way they think?

Maybe what you really want is to inflate your own ego and sway people to your "one dimensional' way of thinking? Thats what is sad.

Actually, there was no rule by me or the forum saying I cannot, nor it's advised I should not, partake in the discussion, I simply was abstaining to see how things go. So, are you a cuemaker or repair person? If so, then thanks for your input, As that is a requirement that I made in order to partake in this.....BUT judging by your posts on the general forum, you don't qualify, so thanks for your input, but please feel free to troll elsewhere.
Dave