Dead money?

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading the new update for the upcoming US Open, I came across a term I've not heard before -dead money. Can someone explain this?

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
It is the entry fee paid by people who realistically have no chance of finishing in the money.

gr. Dave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the context given:
People who want to watch the matches and see that it is cheaper to play and get access than to buy spectator tickets.

Well, there was a time when that was true.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I should change my screen name to deadmoney :D if I were foolish enough to enter a tournament.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dead money

It's a more colorful term than 2nout.

Some consider it a way to support tournaments up close and personal. Often you get a hand stamp that saves you the door entry on day 2.

It allows you inside the ropes for a good seat for a short time. And you may get to shake the hand of a premier player (maybe twice each).

Opinions vary as to the term useage/definition ranging from idiot to supporter of the game...depends on your perspective.

I know I will never tee it up with Tiger Woods..but I might get thrashed by Efren...that would be OK by me.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Bustah,

If it weren't for people like me (Dead Money) there would be no major tournaments. We are a group of dedicated players who enter for the enjoyment of the game. To sometimes win a few matches is our goal. Cashing is a major accomplishment. Winning is a dream seldom, if ever, reaching fruition. I take the term as a positive description rather than a slight. My entry may be dead money but I'm not!

Lyn

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard the term more often in poker. When you shove your stack in and you're drawing against the nutz, it is dead money.

There are more reasons to pay in a tournament than simply having the goal to win. Seems like in most tournaments, 90% of the money is dead as only a hand full of the competitors will win enough to break even.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bustah,

If it weren't for people like me (Dead Money) there would be no major tournaments. We are a group of dedicated players who enter for the enjoyment of the game. To sometimes win a few matches is our goal. Cashing is a major accomplishment. Winning is a dream seldom, if ever, reaching fruition. I take the term as a positive description rather than a slight. My entry may be dead money but I'm not!

Lyn

I agree. I have the same attitude toward the new year resolution people at the gym. Their money helps keep the gym in business.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I've heard the term more often in poker. When you shove your stack in and you're drawing against the nutz, it is dead money.

This is not correct. Poker uses the term dead money for two things:

1) Players who play in a tournament or cash game who realistically have no chance of winning or getting in the money (same meaning as in
pool), fish would be another term used to describe these players.

2) Money (chips) in a pot that was put in by players who are no longer involved in the hand, easiest example would be when ante's are involved
but the player who pays the ante folds pre-flop. His chips are still in the pot but he has 0 chance of winning the hand, this is dead money.

The situation you describe is called drawing dead, not dead money.

gr. Dave

BugHunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea how they could apply that term to pool tournament entry fees. The first place I ever heard that term was in reference to contracts of NFL players. Dead money is money which has been deferred against the salary cap, but which must count againts the cap in the current (or subsequent) years. This basically comes from paying a "signing bonus" which is paid in full immediately, but is prorated for the term of the contract. So if you get a 20M bonus on a 5 year contract, 4M counts against the cap each year of the 5. 4 is counted year one, 16 of which is "Dead money" till it is counted.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not correct. Poker uses the term dead money for two things:

1) Players who play in a tournament or cash game who realistically have no chance of winning or getting in the money (same meaning as in
pool), fish would be another term used to describe these players.

2) Money (chips) in a pot that was put in by players who are no longer involved in the hand, easiest example would be when ante's are involved
but the player who pays the ante folds pre-flop. His chips are still in the pot but he has 0 chance of winning the hand, this is dead money.

The situation you describe is called drawing dead, not dead money.

gr. Dave

I disagree on 1. There is no such thing as not a realistic chance in poker. Unlikely, yes. We've seen enough mediocre players finish in the money at wsop to see someone on the extreme positive side of variance can beat anyone over a short period of time.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading the new update for the upcoming US Open, I came across a term I've not heard before -dead money. Can someone explain this?

Thanks i was wondering too! the only advantage for those dead money people is they find out the speed of their game quicker than Dr. Dave's U!!

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I disagree on 1. There is no such thing as not a realistic chance in poker. Unlikely, yes. We've seen enough mediocre players finish in the money at wsop to see someone on the extreme positive side of variance can beat anyone over a short period of time.

You may certainly disagree on whether or not any player has no realistic chance in finishing in the money in poker,
since there is so much luck involved in a single tournament. However, that does not change the fact that the term
"dead money" is used to describe these lesser skilled players in both poker and pool. Obviously some players
will be dead-er money then others but the term is used to describe players who are significantly -ev, not merely
reserved for players who actually have an ev of losing 100% of their entire buyin/bet.

gr. Dave

Last edited:

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it best described as being a better way of saying, 2 and out. I can also see it as a better way to describe someone who is a fish or that they're there to make donations. Never heard the term but I love it lol. Thanks to all for clearing that up!

Now go RACK'EM!