RIP Jack White

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Legendary showman Jack White passed away yesterday, July 25th. He was responsible for tens of thousands of young people getting hooked on pool...myself included. He was the only American poolplayer to do a command performance for the Queen of England. He was one of only two poolplayers to be invited to the White House, to perform for the President (Red Jones was the other). Jack's greatest honor, he said, was being chosen to entertain the returning POW's from Vietnam. They could have had anyone, and they chose him. He was a fixture at so many universities...many of which he performed at for 25 straight years, and there were several of those. Overall, Jack performed at many hundreds of colleges, universities, and military bases everywhere, during a career that spanned 50+ years. Jack will indeed be missed by many of us.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, my sincere condolences for the passing of your friend, mentor and clearly, a true pool legend.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I never had the privilege of meeting Mr White, but I know many who did..
...and they all spoke well of him.

Rest in peace

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
My all-time favorite exhibition player. Saw him at Bowling Green State U. 1971..1975
and also at Toledo U.

Best stroke I have ever seen.

Sorry to hear he passed.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear this bad news Scott. Jack was a very cool guy and a damn good player.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hey Scott. Rejoice in the fact that you were among his many Friends and you will have lasting memories. And also that Jack's pain is over and you will meet again someday.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Terry! I spoke with his wife, and he had been ill since January, and was in constant pain, so it is a blessing in a way. For my own selfish part, I regret that I was unable to see him before the end. I know he would have lit up when I walked into his room...and I was really looking forward to that. Like you said, I'll see him again in the end!

Scott Lee

Hey Scott. Rejoice in the fact that you were among his many Friends and you will have lasting memories. And also that Jack's pain is over and you will meet again someday.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Trust me Scott, we all have regrets when it comes to our loved ones passing.

You had intentions of stopping for a visit on your way to San Fran and had commitments in Vegas.

Not selfish, the timing was off a bit was all.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I'm sorry for your loss Scott. From your earlier thread I was able to learn about the man. Thanks to all who shared your experiences.

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
I saw Jack about 7 years ago do a show at VCU. He was a great guy and had an awesome show. Some kid asked him if we were related. Jack said "Yeah. He's my nephew. You ought to play him some; cheap!" The kid looked confused. I just smiled.

Scott,

I know you had some differences in the past but I sure am glad you were able to get them resolved and enjoy your friendship.

RIP Jack White!

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
Sorry for your lost mr Scott. i never met him an i hear he was a great guy to be around an a great pool player.. wish i could have met him.. my Condolences to you an his friends an family

R.I.P Jack White

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Legendary showman Jack White passed away yesterday, July 25th. He was responsible for tens of thousands of young people getting hooked on pool...myself included. He was the only American poolplayer to do a command performance for the Queen of England. He was one of only two poolplayers to be invited to the White House, to perform for the President (Red Jones was the other). Jack's greatest honor, he said, was being chosen to entertain the returning POW's from Vietnam. They could have had anyone, and they chose him. He was a fixture at so many universities...many of which he performed at for 25 straight years, and there were several of those. Overall, Jack performed at many hundreds of colleges, universities, and military bases everywhere, during a career that spanned 50+ years. Jack will indeed be missed by many of us.

Scott Lee

Very sorry for the loss of your mentor, Scott.

Years ago, Jack White's Come to Billiards Away was part of that next wave of billiard instruction books that quickly became part of my library. Although some people considered the story of throwing stones (Azul) misplaced, I have always understood this message from a basic athletics viewpoint. I also will always remember the "Magic Silver Spot" as this was one of those early esoteric aiming methods that told me that top players do and see things differently than recreational players.

Freddie <~~~ it's all in the wrist

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Sorry for the loss of your old friend, Scott. It sounds like he was a big part of your life.

Eric

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
RIP in Jack. It was a pleasure to know you :angel::wave2::thumbup2::angel2::bow-down: