At what point is somebody a bonafide "player"?

Banks

Banned
The term "player" gets thrown around a bit, as opposed to "wannabe player" or such. At what point do you consider somebody a "real player"?

If I had to take my pick, I'd say that it's at the point where they beat me more often than not! :embarrassed2:

Last edited:

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a real player is someone that fully dedicates themselves to getting better and to understanding the game.

I see a lot of league players who, just upon watching them play or speaking to them, you can tell only play pool as a hobby or as something to just "do."

However, I've met a few people who I would consider real players (some are SL 5s, others are SL 7s) because you can tell they are immersed in the game. I don't think you have to be a master of the table to be a real player - but if you aspire to be one someday and are willing to put in the time to be one then I consider them a real player.

If we are talking real players based on technical skill then I'd say it's in the way they shoot: steady rhythm, fearless shooter, strategic thinker, and can handle problems and clusters, or move through a rack pretty seamlessly. Most league players don't exhibit those qualities, but I think real players do noticeably exhibit these qualities.

-Richard

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
I think a real player is someone that fully dedicates themselves to getting better and to understanding the game.

I see a lot of league players who, just upon watching them play or speaking to them, you can tell only play pool as a hobby or as something to just "do."

However, I've met a few people who I would consider real players (some are SL 5s, others are SL 7s) because you can tell they are immersed in the game. I don't think you have to be a master of the table to be a real player - but if you aspire to be one someday and are willing to put in the time to be one then I consider them a real player.

If we are talking real players based on technical skill then I'd say it's in the way they shoot: steady rhythm, fearless shooter, strategic thinker, and can handle problems and clusters, or move through a rack pretty seamlessly. Most league players don't exhibit those qualities, but I think real players do noticeably exhibit these qualities.

-Richard
I like what you said. I was going to say when they can beat the 9 ball ghost regularly, but I like your definition much better.

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
The term "player" gets thrown around a bit, as opposed to "wannabe player" or such. At what point do you consider somebody a "real player"?

If I had to take my pick, I'd say that it's at the point where they beat me more often than not! :embarrassed2:

No...when they beat you more often than not they're called a barbanger.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

-Richard

Ill second this. To be a "player" you have to be a true student first.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its kind of cryptic subject, as in if you have to ask........... :eek:

BTW, Im fiending again..... :grin:
Chuck

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
John,

Been banging balls for over 56 years. Even today, I'm not sure I'm a "player". Guess your question is really too fundamental. If winning big events or big money gambling is the only valid description of a "player", there are way too few of them. If the description includes someone who; 1) Hates to lose. 2) Loves to win. 3) Devotes too much of their life to the game, then I guess I'm a "player". What's your description?

Lyn

PS Got beat by a bunch of old, old men last week :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: .

Banks

Banned
Its kind of cryptic subject, as in if you have to ask........... :eek:

BTW, Im fiending again..... :grin:
Chuck

I agree that it's a bit intangible, sort of like Zphix was saying, with more than just playing coming into it. Sort of like asking "what's a good player?" If I'm talking to my friends, a good player may be a good APA 5 or something. If I'm talking to a stronger player, a good player may be a local master. To me, I think of the term as something more akin to good local tournament/money players. Anybody can be a pool player if they're serious or even like the game, but a "player" player is beyond that. But I don't consider people to be non-players if they aren't something special.

I suppose you want to play on those 9' "players" tables. :D

John,

Been banging balls for over 56 years. Even today, I'm not sure I'm a "player". Guess your question is really too fundamental. If winning big events or big money gambling is the only valid description of a "player", there are way too few of them. If the description includes someone who; 1) Hates to lose. 2) Loves to win. 3) Devotes too much of their life to the game, then I guess I'm a "player". What's your description?

Lyn

PS Got beat by a bunch of old, old men last week :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: .

It has been a pretty bumpy ride for me, going on almost 10 years. I still remember in the first few months how much "info" and "tips" people were giving me regarding learning and progression. Luckily, I ignored just about every single one. :eek: I only hope that I can be a "player" like you in due time. Just 46 more years to go, right?

Will you be down in Vegas during the masters tournament?

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they can even just occasionally break and run in either 8 ball or 9 ball to me they are a player.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I think the combination of Banks and Zphix's answers describe a player. In other words there's a difference between a "player" and a "good player". It's a balance of skill and dedication.

You've known guys who could play a great game on natural skill alone but had no dedication to the game. I couldn't call them a player.

We've also known people (like me) who love and study the game, but due to limitations will never rise to anything above a "B" level game. Can't be called a player.

But the combination of skill and dedication earns you the title player.

The real question is what trade-off of skill and dedication earns the title?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
player

I think "player" automatically means good player in this case. I'd say a real player gets the girl over 80% percent of the time and that doesn't mean taking home a two o'clock girl. A real player never leaves the place with worse than a ten o'clock girl even if leaving at two o'clock.

Oh, on a pool table, somebody that can bust out shots I don't expect pretty often, . . . . and make them.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I feel you're a player, regardless of your speed, when the game makes
you curious.....about choice of shots, ball reaction, how to hit for certain
effects....etc.

Some people hit the balls like they're rolling dice...they are bangers.

in my opinion, of course

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bonafide Player?

We all know a player when we see one. When you can beat this person in a race to 9 or better your a player too.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I player is someone who plays and doesn't stand around talking. They don't have to be a champion but they can play their speed when it counts. Even against top players if they get a good game the top player does not have to like it.