Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Oscar Dominguez in UK tabloids, not good.
Page 2 of 19 12 3412 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-07-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I was in the booth when he said it and was shocked. I've never heard that phrase anywhere before and just didn't get it. Jimmy quickly apologized for Oscar but that wasn't enough to make anyone forget about it. Our producer and director were not happy to say the least.
I've heard this one many times before, the first was back in bootcamp 20 years ago....

"Sweating like a rapist"
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...e%20a%20rapist

Looks like "touch of a rapist" has been used before, it does have an entrance into the urban dictionary from 2006.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ch+of+a+rapist

Here is a YouTube video (2007) with the phrase in the title, showing a soccer player with a lead foot who overhits a pass to his team mate.

https://youtu.be/u2dl1X0JnVE

Live international TV wired for sound and in today's post-Weinstein, Polanski, Spacey climate...yes, Oscar could've chosen a different saying to be more couth. But he didn't, and I wouldn't treat it like an international incident. But that's being rational, and the UK tabloids are anything but rational.

Old
  (#17)
Chuck Fields
Trouble in RiverCity
Chuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
Playful joke not a put down

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker
While I agree with you as far as his intent more than likely being to say something 'playful' or 'funny', he was in a situation where pool hall type banter, and crude language were not appropriate.

Not the first time someone has opened their mouth and inserted their foot. Wont be the last.

It's just a game, man. Some balls and a stick....

Playing cue: Joss w/ 314-3
Break cue: Players
Case: JB Ultimate Rugged
Titles: Champion of Shembugenwauk County 1989-1990

Old
  (#18)
Mikkes
AzB Silver Member
Mikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond reputeMikkes has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
was watching the stream yesterday and the German commentators said something about his comments about "kraut"...
when did this happen?
if it did....OD might have stepped in it this time with his commentary ("the touch of...." and "kraut") and I would not be surprised if he has managed to uninvite himself from any future matchroom Event...

does anyone have the Video of the other alleged incident?
When he played against Ralf he made a shot/safe and said "That´s enough for the Kraut", but did he really said "Kraut" and not "Crowd"...I don´t know.

The thing with the rapist is a bad joke you can make when you are playing with your freinds in the poolhall but not when you are on tv screen and a microphone on your shirt. That was not smart from Oscar.

Old
  (#19)
Kimmo
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
 Send a message via ICQ to Kimmo Send a message via MSN to Kimmo Send a message via Skype™ to Kimmo 
12-07-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkes View Post
When he played against Ralf he made a shot/safe and said "That´s enough for the Kraut", but did he really said "Kraut" and not "Crowd"...I don´t know.

The thing with the rapist is a bad joke you can make when you are playing with your freinds in the poolhall but not when you are on tv screen and a microphone on your shirt. That was not smart from Oscar.
If he said Kraut...that's not good...and to Ralf of all People. You'd be hard to find more of a Gentleman Player in the pool-world than Ralf....what if someone called Oscar a spic...I doubt that would go down well with him, his Team or the audience...

Don't try to add days to your life, add life to your days! - This message is environmentally friendly...it has been written in it's entirety with recycled bits and bytes.

Name: Kimmo
Playing cue: Predator P3/314˛, ~20oz + KamuiBlack SS
Break cue: Predator BK2
Jump: Custom
Nationality: Finnish
Hours of pool per week: Hours?? As in PLURAL? You've got to be kidding me...I've got 3 kids!

Last edited by Kimmo; 12-07-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Old
  (#20)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
If he said Kraut...that's not good...and to Ralf of all People. You'd be hard to find more of a Gentleman Player in the pool-world than Ralf....what if someone called Oscar a spic...I doubt that would go down well with him, his Team or the audience...
Oh the horror of it all

The fact that this even needs to be explained makes me extremely sad.

Do any of you know how hard it is to remember that you are mic'd up? If you do it every day, then yeah, it becomes much easier. Trust me, there have been many times in my work, where somebody says something inappropriate for being mic'd up and those people wear mic's WAY more often than once per year.

If this was said in the action room at derby, everybody would be laying of the floor laughing, not butt hurt and seeking counseling.
Jason

Old
  (#21)
miha
AzB Silver Member
miha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond reputemiha has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 04:26 AM

Were you guys even watching the game? Dennis played a terrible pushout (overshot the ball by a foot or two), and Oscar told him that he had a touch of a rapist. It was sarcastic and funny, kept both him and Dennis in good spirits even though they've left a shot for the opponents. The whole tabloid thing is taken terribly out of context.

Old
  (#22)
Kimmo
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Kimmo Send a message via MSN to Kimmo Send a message via Skype™ to Kimmo 
12-07-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
Oh the horror of it all

The fact that this even needs to be explained makes me extremely sad.

Do any of you know how hard it is to remember that you are mic'd up? If you do it every day, then yeah, it becomes much easier. Trust me, there have been many times in my work, where somebody says something inappropriate for being mic'd up and those people wear mic's WAY more often than once per year.

If this was said in the action room at derby, everybody would be laying of the floor laughing, not butt hurt and seeking counseling.
Jason
well he is biting the Hand that is feeding him....I am sure he has signed some contract with Matchroom for the tournament and they do not wish to be associated with personal insults on air.....
in the end his behavior tells more about him and what he stands for ...I know whom I respect more...

Don't try to add days to your life, add life to your days! - This message is environmentally friendly...it has been written in it's entirety with recycled bits and bytes.

Name: Kimmo
Playing cue: Predator P3/314˛, ~20oz + KamuiBlack SS
Break cue: Predator BK2
Jump: Custom
Nationality: Finnish
Hours of pool per week: Hours?? As in PLURAL? You've got to be kidding me...I've got 3 kids!

Old
  (#23)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BallWonderland View Post
I googled Mosconi Cup and this is one of the first links I see.
From the UK tabloid The Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/50839...t-mosconi-cup/
If this is true he's as done as John Conyers. No excuse for this, joking or not.

Old
  (#24)
Poolplaya9
Tellin' it like it is...
Poolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800
  Send a message via AIM to Poolplaya9  
12-07-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
If this is true he's as done as John Conyers. No excuse for this, joking or not.
You don't have to wonder if it is true since the video of it is right there in the link you quoted.

The comment was said as a joke, and it was clear by what Oscar said and how he said it that his comment had a negative connotation towards rapists so I'm not quite sure why the huge uproar. I could understand more if the comment was somehow positive towards rapists or in support of that but it clearly wasn't and was actually the opposite. Yes he shouldn't have made a comparison between a teammate and a rapist on television (and perhaps even if not on television), even in jest, but it just isn't near as big a deal as some are painting it out to be. I kind of put this one in the so what category.

Old
  (#25)
AlienObserver
AzB Silver Member
AlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 05:20 AM

Let me just say that I do not know him personally, I just give my opinion on the subject.

1) I know he knows he's miced up, but come on. He is a pool player. As I said I do not know him or what else he does with his life, but I'm guessing that he is not often in a televised international event. I'm guessing that he is not used to this kind of pressure. Making a joke to relax with your teammate is not unreasonable.

2) If anyone is to blame is matchsport. How many times had the commentators "apologized for the inappropriate language a player used"?? Why do they still mic up the players? Don't they get that pool players use "inappropriate language" when on massive pressure? We are not talking about college professors, we are talking about pool players dealing with the biggest pressure on their life...

3) Jokes should be taken as jokes. A joke doesn't define a person's true beliefs. People need to relax.

4) The article is pure sh*t. "A tweeter user said this". As if as creating a tweeter account and writing tweets gives you some kind of credit. Who the f**k are those "tweeter users" and why should we listen to them or take them seriously and act like their opinion matter? Why are they important?

5) "Dennis Hatch looked decidedly uncomfortable as he took his seat after his shot". Yeah right... Did they watched the video before writing the article or did they watched it frame by frame to find one that Dennis looks funny? All I saw was that he laughed...

Old
  (#26)
Scottyboy716
AzB Silver Member
Scottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 900

12-07-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BallWonderland View Post
Yes I think that's what he meant but I still don't understand why he would think it's a good idea to basically tell your teammate he hit a terrible shot.
It's not very nice to put your teammate down after he screws up.
Dennis said "Perfect" sarcastically laughing at himself. Oscar replied all in fun!

"Touch of a R$#W#T" Implies no touch at all.

Just 'cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!

Old
  (#27)
jimmyco
AzB Silver Member
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 05:47 AM

The Sun

Really?

bad luck to be superstitious

Old
  (#28)
CCCue
AzB Bronze Member
CCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond reputeCCCue has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 05:54 AM

People look for any reason to be offended. Sure not best choice of words but so what? He didn’t say anything illegal or use profanity - there’d be no issue if he said, you killed it, you murdered it, you stole it....

Yes, rape is a particularly heinous crime, but it was just a word used as an adjective - poor choice -yes, ban-worthy - not a chance.

Old
  (#29)
Ched
"Hey ... I'm back"!
Ched has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 05:56 AM

Rather ironic to get upset over that when the entire environment is encouraging the kind of yelling and screaming that's going on. Either you have a raucous WWE type of environment, or you keep the noise down and encourage a PGA style of event. You can't have it both ways.

Best always,
Ched

cues: too many, most are pretty decent.

Old
  (#30)
Chuck Fields
Trouble in RiverCity
Chuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Fields has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I would like to formally apologize to all those who have been tuning in to watch the marvelous Mosconi Cup. I made a poor choice in my comment and I meant absolutely no disrespect to anybody. As a family man myself, I didn’t mean to offend anybody.

I, along with everyone on Team USA, appreciate everyone’s support and interest in the greatest event in the pool world. You have my word that I will not use this language in the future.

Thanks for your interest in this sport we all love.

Best regards and happy holidays from my family to yours.

Oscar Dominguez
http://www.matchroompool.com/news/os...uez-statement/

It's just a game, man. Some balls and a stick....

Playing cue: Joss w/ 314-3
Break cue: Players
Case: JB Ultimate Rugged
Titles: Champion of Shembugenwauk County 1989-1990

Page 2 of 19 12 3412 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: