Old Brunswick shaft

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was the purpose of the second splice of wood at the end of older Brunswick shafts.
Thanks.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it was just for looks. And it must look cool since we are still talking about it after many decades.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Brunswick also commonly repaired broken and warped shafts with a wood splice at the end. Obviously, they had tons of skinny drops left over from cutting full-splice blanks, so it makes sense to use it for dressing up a shaft.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris, I know you are a Spain fan. Spain says that a simple 4-prong full-spliced cue has 'more spine' that a non-spliced cue - you get better feel and it is stronger. Wouldn't that be true about a shaft as well? (even a 2-prong spliced shaft).

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick also commonly repaired broken and warped shafts with a wood splice at the end. Obviously, they had tons of skinny drops left over from cutting full-splice blanks, so it makes sense to use it for dressing up a shaft.

Yup.

It was a common repair.

But the catalog cues that had them from the start...well...hard to think it was anything other than cosmetic. And they got to use up otherwise scrap ebony as you point out.

Of course, it made the shaft stiffer and heavier on the end...which is the opposite of LD...so it does not fit well with modern shaft technology.

Definitely cool looking though.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris, I know you are a Spain fan. Spain says that a simple 4-prong full-spliced cue has 'more spine' that a non-spliced cue - you get better feel and it is stronger. Wouldn't that be true about a shaft as well? (even a 2-prong spliced shaft).

Since they were putting Ebony as the tip end piece normally I think it was a looks thing. Ebony does not play as good as maple for a shaft. I am guessing more spine means stiffer and stiffer is not better at some degree when it comes to playing shafts. I am fairly sure Burton built a spliced shaft sometime as an experiment and I am fairly sure there were reasons you can't find any cues with them. If it would have been best he would have done it as he was a purist who tried to do things the way he thought best even when the market wanted something else.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Acording to the Encyclopedia , they referenced a large Chicago Billiard house 2-3 floors many tables , hundreds or thousands of cues , the humidity was very high , and the repaired cues slipped threw there fingers better that the maple . they had the cues repaired with both Ebony and Rosewood , Not sure but beleive mostly ebony . I have a 1 pc. cue now ready to convert with ebony spice .

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a lot of these spliced-shaft cues (1 and 2-piece) - about equal ebony vs rosewood.