Oscar Dominguez in UK tabloids, not good.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he used some locker/pool room talk. Has Oscar apologized? I think he needs to being mic'd on a live event ( I have not read all 18 pages.)
Look, hes a pool player not President of the United States!

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you get AIDS.

There's a song about that.

Like to hear it here it goes:

https://youtu.be/lt1I7MtsOvY
I'm just a person, and I've got the new plague
I'm wondering how I got this way
I drank some whiskey, I went and got laid
Now I'm a person, just a person with aids
He's just a person with aids - I got what?
If you treat me, like any old dude, I'll try real hard not to go bleed on you
Cause I'm a person, and I know what to do
So stick around cause I'm gonna get screwed
I'm just a person, and you're a person like me
Am I the victim of a conspiracy?
I drank some whiskey, I did some cocaine
Now I'm a person in Pain-Pain-Pain

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry you were raped as a young whatever you are or identify as but it's over now.

Being an anonymous internet troll won't fix it. Let it go.

JC

I think you're out of line here JC. To trivialize something as serious as rape is to be totally out of touch with reality. Women who are traumatized in this way are often scarred for life by the experience. It's not something that "they get over" as you so aptly put it. Someone very close to me had two such experiences as a young woman. She was upwardly mobile in a male dominated career. She was afraid to speak out against her ATTACKERS for fear of losing her position that took a long time to reach. There were only men that she could complain to, and all were aligned with the two men who damaged her.

Are you beginning to get the picture now? She went on to have a long and lucrative career, but never fully recovered from these early traumatic experiences. Many other women coming forth now walked a similar path and finally feel free to talk publicly about what happened to them. My friend cannot, even all these years later! To sit there and say "get over it" is callous and cold! I think you owe Blue Jam a heartfelt apology.

Last edited:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oscar seems like a good dude. Oscars family seem like good people.

In my opinion the comment was out of line for public consumption. It’s not a first degree felony, but it was inappropriate and offensive. I have a feeling Oscar would agree.

This wasn’t in some random pool hall shooting some pool with a pitcher and some beers.

Hard to understand why anyone would dismiss *any* objection to it as reactive and over sensitive.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
*sigh* I know you're trying really hard to somehow justify something that has already been acknowledged as inappropriate by the broadcasters, as well as the person who made the "joke" in the first place, but this straw man line of argument is totally pointless.

To be clear, I haven't seen anyone claim what was said was endorsing or legitimising abhorrent behaviour, so trying to claim that is my position is redundant. I mean, it helps the great unwashed that like to pretend people are "blowing this out of proportion" or "organising marches" when that's not what's actually happening. It's fake news.

Haha,I'm a part of "the unwashed" now? LOL, at least I'm also "great". That helps soften the blow.

I claim you and all the stupid tabloids are blowing this WAY out of proportion. The only reason you are not organizing marches is that every normal, well adjusted person would laugh themselves to death, plus you'd actually have to do something other than type and smell your own farts. So you do the second best thing, you go after the person on social media and try to ruin him. For making a joke. Mind you, not endorsing rape, not apologizing for rape and not for taking part in any such action himself. No, he made a joke about a fellow players cueball control. That was it. But you do get to feel powerful, you are accomplishing something. By doing nothing, or as close to nothing as one can possibly come, you are making an impact. A negative impact in the life of someone who has very limited ability to retaliate, unlike for instance a criminal or a major corporation doing criminal things. It's not even worthy of the term "slacktivism".

There are countless heinous crimes being committed every day, people dying of horrible diseases, starving. But instead you focus you energy on the single most unimportant thing that ever happened in the universe. A person that is a marginal pro in a sport which nobody pays attention to, executed a joke at an inappropriate time. The horror!

Last edited:

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha,I'm a part of "the unwashed" now? LOL, at least I'm also "great". That helps soften the blow.

I claim you and all the stupid tabloids are blowing this WAY out of proportion. The only reason you are not organizing marches is that every normal, well adjusted person would laugh themselves to death, plus you'd actually have to do something other than type and smell your own farts. So you do the second best thing, you go after the person on social media and try to ruin him. For making a joke. Mind you, not endorsing rape, not apologizing for rape and not for taking part in any such action himself. No, he made a joke about a fellow players cueball control. That was it. But you do get to feel powerful, you are accomplishing something. By doing nothing, or as close to nothing as one can possibly come, you are making an impact. A negative impact in the life of someone who has very limited ability to retaliate, unlike for instance a criminal or a major corporation doing criminal things. It's not even worthy of the term "slacktivism".

There are countless heinous crimes being committed every day, people dying of horrible diseases, starving. But instead you focus you energy on the single most unimportant thing that ever happened in the universe. A person that is a marginal pro in a sport which nobody pays attention to, executed a joke at an inappropriate time. The horror!

So your retort to my point of people placing an argument at my feet which I never made, is to associate me with tabloid media that i have no influence over and have not given an opinion on? More fake news then. Bravo.

At least we are agreed that the actions were inappropriate. It shouldn't be difficult to extrapolate that if making jokes about rape in those circumstances is inappropriate, that actually holding the view that in some situations rape is actually justified should draw greater condemnation.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew what Oscar meant as soon as I heard it. I took it as a NON-PC joke.

For those of you actually think that pro pool could ever thrive by the players just being "themselves" and acting on TV like hustlers and all rough and routy, this should be the perfect example for you. It will NEVER fly.

Pro pool needs to move towards the snooker environment or like the old time 14.1 playing in tuxes if you want money in pool.

You think any advertisers want to be anywhere near this "rape" worded joke?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Prob bears repeating, so you can all get a grip.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Someone here is claiming that the apologies from the announcers and from Oscar are why we "know" what Oscar meant when he made this comment. No, it doesn't, but once that connection has been made, Oscar's "guilty" as charged no matter what he said or why. He has basically self-incriminated, even if by accident.

That's why NEITHER OF THEM should have apologized for his doing no harm. Extorting an apology, that need not be made because those words did no harm to anyone, is a trick used quite often lately in society, politics especially, to then be able to pwn that Person anytime the powers that be need to pwn him.

The only way Oscar gets this flypaper off of him is to rescind his erroneous apology asap and be done with it.

Jeff Livingston

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he had said "pimp", would this discussion be taking place?

Society, as a whole, seems to oddly be OK with that term.

MTV had no problem filling advertisement slots for their show "Pimp My Ride".

Personally, I never really cared for 'lowbrow' humor or understood it's rules.

JC

Coos Cues
I think you're out of line here JC. To trivialize something as serious as rape is to be totally out of touch with reality. Women who are traumatized in this way are often scarred for life by the experience. It's not something that "they get over" as you so aptly put it. Someone very close to me had two such experiences as a young women. She was upwardly mobile in a male dominated career. She was afraid to speak out against her ATTACKERS for fear of losing her position that took a long time to reach. There were only men that she could complain to, and all were aligned with the two men who damaged her.

Are you beginning to get the picture now? She went on to have a long and lucrative career, but never fully recovered from these early traumatic experiences. Many other women coming forth now walked a similar path and finally feel free to talk publicly about what happened to them. My friend cannot, even all these years later! To sit there and say "get over it" is callous and cold! I think you owe Blue Jam a heartfelt apology.

Take my words out of context like Blue Jam did and say I said something vile that I clearly didn't and push it further and further with follow up nonsense and I dont care to be "in line".

I do not nor have I ever thought that rape is anything other than the violent crime it is. I do have genuine compassion for it's victims of which I have no Idea whether Blue Jam is. Don't even know the gender of this troll. I suspect by it's vocabulary it's from over the pond where insane PC cultures exist.

I do not apologize to anonymous internet trolls who go out of their way to provoke me. Sorry Jay

JC

Last edited:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
In context or not, the comment was out of line. Let's rein it in a little bit.

Mike

Reactions: JC

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Take my words out of context like Blue Jam did and say I said something vile that I clearly didn't and push it further and further with follow up nonsense and I dont care to be "in line".

I do not nor have I ever thought that rape is anything other than the violent crime it is. I do have genuine compassion for it's victims of which I have no Idea whether Blue Jam is. Don't even know the gender of this troll. I suspect by it's vocabulary it's from over the pond where insane PC cultures exist.

I do not apologize to anonymous internet trolls who go out of their way to provoke me. Sorry Jay

JC

JC, how could I take your words out of context when I quoted your exact post in my post #263? I will agree with one thing. You do need moderation. Thanks for letting us know.

JC

Coos Cues
JC, how could I take your words out of context when I quoted your exact post in my post #263? I will agree with one thing. You do need moderation. Thanks for letting us know.

Sorry if you can't or don't care to keep up with how it got to there. But now that you mention it, yes you were taking the statement out of the context of how I was provoked to that point by dishonest trolling.

Have a happy Sunday

JC

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're out of line here JC. To trivialize something as serious as rape is to be totally out of touch with reality. Women who are traumatized in this way are often scarred for life by the experience. It's not something that "they get over" as you so aptly put it. Someone very close to me had two such experiences as a young woman. She was upwardly mobile in a male dominated career. She was afraid to speak out against her ATTACKERS for fear of losing her position that took a long time to reach. There were only men that she could complain to, and all were aligned with the two men who damaged her.

Herein lies the crux of this matter. Though I didn't find Oscar's comment offensive to my own sensibilities, the subject is so scarring to those who have been damaged by it that even the sheer mention of it in passing, in a joke none the less, can be more offensive than some people can even imagine. I know everyone wants to stick up for Oscar, and I am certain he is a great guy, it is not Oscar or yourself that matter here. This was on live tv and a widely diverse audience of people were watching. There were most certainly people who were deeply and genuinely offended by this remark. The fact that you cannot understand this and cannot empathize, is your problem and not their's. You have been taught that any measure of offense is not real and in the real world grown ups are not offended. This is simply not true. There are things that can truly be offensive. The fact that they don't offend you,tough guy, doesn't matter because everyone is not you.

One of these posters said something about if you hear these words and get offended and go hang yourself then let him know and he would film it and put it on youtube and charge money to watch it and yadda yadda yadda. My wife's cousin was violently raped in Italy while she was working towards her phd overseas. She never recovered and hung herself within a year after the attack. What if it were something she heard in passing, a simple seemingly harmless remark about a more than harmless subject that pushed her to that edge? You and I will never know her pain, I am thankful for that. There are many living with the same pain she did. I will give them the benefit of believing that their offense is real and warranted.

Imagine your wife were sitting next to you watching this. Now let's imagine at some point in her life she was raped. If you turned to her after Oscar made his remark and saw that she was visibly and completely upset and offended by his remarks, would you tell her to get over it? It was just a joke? Would you call her a hag bag or a snowflake or whatever derogatory remark you have been taught to call people who actually feel things?

To be certain, Jay, the you in this post was not you. Just relating to what you posted.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry if you can't or don't care to keep up with how it got to there. But now that you mention it, yes you were taking the statement out of the context of how I was provoked to that point by dishonest trolling.

Have a happy Sunday

JC

This is a cop out! I'd suggest you read the post above very carefully.
I realize you meant no harm JC, but like Oscar, harm may be done without realizing the consequences of your words. We've all spoken out of turn before and regretted it later. Sometimes we realize right away what we've done and sometimes it can take days for it to set in that we said something that was hurtful to someone else. The important thing for me when I've done that is to apologize if possible. Good luck to you and I wish you a Merry Christmas.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I realize you meant no harm JC, but like Oscar, harm may be done without realizing the consequences of your words. We've all spoken out of turn before and regretted it later. Sometimes we realize right away what we've done and sometimes it can take days for it to set in that we said something that was hurtful to someone else. The important thing for me when I've done that is to apologize if possible. Good luck to you and I wish you a Merry Christmas.

And this is the world of New Speak...where everything you say may be held against you.
....a touch of a rapist...which is the key word in this phrase?

Everything you say is a Rorschach test for the 7 billion plus people in this world.
..it is impossible to be responsible for anybody to avoid triggering someone's
memory of a negative experience...April 22th...."Oh no, that's the day
a car ran over my cat!"...:sad:

...oh, and keep ignoring the f-bombs....and dwell on the word in red

JC

Coos Cues
In context or not, the comment was out of line. Let's rein it in a little bit.

Mike

I'm taking the advice above Jay.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

JC

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would give you more rep , but I it won't let me..

:clapping::angel::angel::clapping::smash:
And this is the world of New Speak...where everything you say may be held against you.
....a touch of a rapist...which is the key word in this phrase?

Everything you say is a Rorschach test for the 7 billion plus people in this world.
..it is impossible to be responsible for anybody to avoid triggering someone's
memory of a negative experience...April 22th...."Oh no, that's the day
a car ran over my cat!"...:sad:

...oh, and keep ignoring the f-bombs....and dwell on the word in red

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Herein lies the crux of this matter. Though I didn't find Oscar's comment offensive to my own sensibilities, the subject is so scarring to those who have been damaged by it that even the sheer mention of it in passing, in a joke none the less, can be more offensive than some people can even imagine. I know everyone wants to stick up for Oscar, and I am certain he is a great guy, it is not Oscar or yourself that matter here. This was on live tv and a widely diverse audience of people were watching. There were most certainly people who were deeply and genuinely offended by this remark. The fact that you cannot understand this and cannot empathize, is your problem and not their's. You have been taught that any measure of offense is not real and in the real world grown ups are not offended. This is simply not true. There are things that can truly be offensive. The fact that they don't offend you,tough guy, doesn't matter because everyone is not you.

One of these posters said something about if you hear these words and get offended and go hang yourself then let him know and he would film it and put it on youtube and charge money to watch it and yadda yadda yadda. My wife's cousin was violently raped in Italy while she was working towards her phd overseas. She never recovered and hung herself within a year after the attack. What if it were something she heard in passing, a simple seemingly harmless remark about a more than harmless subject that pushed her to that edge? You and I will never know her pain, I am thankful for that. There are many living with the same pain she did. I will give them the benefit of believing that their offense is real and warranted.

Imagine your wife were sitting next to you watching this. Now let's imagine at some point in her life she was raped. If you turned to her after Oscar made his remark and saw that she was visibly and completely upset and offended by his remarks, would you tell her to get over it? It was just a joke? Would you call her a hag bag or a snowflake or whatever derogatory remark you have been taught to call people who actually feel things?

To be certain, Jay, the you in this post was not you. Just relating to what you posted.

Exactly what happens when a person is offended?

Reactions: JC

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Having known Ernesto, since the seventies. OD screwed up. I am surprised, but the demographic makeup of a pool player, skews ones character in time. Some are effected more, others not so much. Miked up and barking..............screams, immaturity. One things for sure, I'm not throwing :slap: the first stone.:thumbup2: Merry xmas, and too all a good night.

Last edited: