Best 2 1/4" Cue Ball

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I've been out of the game for 3 years and just started playing again on my own 7-foot Valley table. My shot making is coming back pretty good but my position could use some help. Most of the time I come back too short on a 5 or 6 foot draw shot and short also on my long follow shots. My tip is good. Are any of these new types of QB's easier to draw? I know a lot of it is probably that my stroke sucks. I control my side spin most of the time so I don't think it's a speed problem. Johnnyt

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the super aramith pro "triangle" cue ball or the measles ball.

If you are using a mud ball on a bar table that obviously isn't going to help your stroke...well at least putting jive on the ball.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
No mud ball, just 2 1/4" QB's. I have two sets of balls with QB's. One set is Sterling and the other isLevel Best (Magnum) Probably cheap stuff. I don't think I've ever heard of them. Johnnyt

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Standard Super Aramith cue ball and measles cue ball weigh the same as the Super Aramith object balls and they are comparable with the Centennial blue circle cue ball. The red circle cue ball is 6 grams lighter and will draw easier and not follow quite as good.

I suggest buying a good quality set of balls and keeeping them clean.

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
interesting

Marop said:
Standard Super Aramith cue ball and measles cue ball weigh the same as the Super Aramith object balls and they are comparable with the Centennial blue circle cue ball. The red circle cue ball is 6 grams lighter and will draw easier and not follow quite as good.

I suggest buying a good quality set of balls and keeeping them clean.

I have never had any issues using follow with the red circle.

I have found that I have issues with the measle ball - it seems "sluggish" compared to the red circle and I sometimes have trouble getting the draw that I want. I thought it was just me but then a couple of local very good players said the same thing. Seems like most people just jumped on the measle ball so they could "see the english" - I know what I put on the ball, I don't need to "watch it" !!!!

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Red Circle...hands down!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott,
Why the red circle over the pro cup "measles" ball?
I play with both and don't notice much difference.
I've heard all the stories about different resins,
weights, sizes, elasticity. I'm pretty sure that most cb's get
smaller and lighter over time.
The pro cup ball is great for training purposes.
cOOp

GordonRamsay

Snooker > Pool
Silver Member
for some reason I can never put any draw on the blue circle Brunswick. I have never used one of the red circle ones....

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
I like the measles ball the best (Aramith Pro Cup Cue Ball). It seems like a good number of people don't like it at first and even call it a gimmick, but I think it grows on some of them.

I've always enjoyed watching the dots move on the ball, whether I'm the one shooting not. To me a pro cup cue ball on the pool table is like icing on the cake, or maybe blue cheese on the bacon burger. :eek:k:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Red circle is much easier to spin and draw than regular centennial, pro cup or measle cueball imo. Those 3 seem heavier.
Red Circle plays easier specially if the set of balls is the premier or crown imo.
The measle, pro cup and centennial ( blue circle ) seem so much heavier than premier or crown ( specially old ones ).

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
exactly

Ballistic Billiards said:
Scott,
Why the red circle over the pro cup "measles" ball?
I play with both and don't notice much difference.
I've heard all the stories about different resins,
weights, sizes, elasticity. I'm pretty sure that most cb's get
smaller and lighter over time.
The pro cup ball is great for training purposes.cOOp

Yes - the measle is good for when you are first learning to use spin as you can see the reults of hitting from various points on the cue ball.

But I still find that I just very much prefer the red circle. I can't really put my finger on it but "sluggish" was about the best description I could come up with - also maybe "plays heavier" than the red circle.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Johnnyt said:
I've been out of the game for 3 years and just started playing again on my own 7-foot Valley table. My shot making is coming back pretty good but my position could use some help. Most of the time I come back too short on a 5 or 6 foot draw shot and short also on my long follow shots. My tip is good. Are any of these new types of QB's easier to draw? I know a lot of it is probably that my stroke sucks. I control my side spin most of the time so I don't think it's a speed problem. Johnnyt

IMO the best cue ball to use, is the one that comes with the set.

You may not be following through deliberatly. It only takes a very light stroke to draw the ball. I see people trying to hit it too hard, and their cue ends up not even hitting the cue ball where they want to, or the cue ball can have way to much forward momentum to even come back.

Lastly, "make sure the balls are clean!"
John Schmidt - 2008

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Red Circle...hands down!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I totally agree, with you Scott, I have noticed that other members have stated that the Red Circle is 6 grams ligther then other balls but this is not what I have found. I have weighted all the balls that are used on my tables, and in addition I have weighted the Measles ball, andthe Blue Circle Centennial ball and I have never found more than a single gram difference in weight.

On a consistant basis the Tournament Red Circle ball is the best I have found, and I would also recommend it hands down.!!!!!!!!!:yeah:

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Don't the Pro Cup (aka measle balls) come with the centinials now?
The Blue circle ball use to be the cue ball that came with the centinials.
The red circle ball was made available as a replacement ball for the Blue circle.

The blue circle ball was my favorite ball. The red circle seemed to be made diffently and bounced off object balls. The pro cup and blue circle cue balls seem to collide with the object balls and act more predictable.

Now I like the Pro Cup. When you can stroke the pro cup, you know you have a stroke.

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maxeypad2007 said:
If you are using a mud ball on a bar table that obviously isn't going to help your stroke...well at least putting jive on the ball.
What is a "mud ball"... how would you describe it?

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
manwon said:
I totally agree, with you Scott, I have noticed that other members have stated that the Red Circle is 6 grams ligther then other balls but this is not what I have found. I have weighted all the balls that are used on my tables, and in addition I have weighted the Measles ball, andthe Blue Circle Centennial ball and I have never found more than a single gram difference in weight.

On a consistant basis the Tournament Red Circle ball is the best I have found, and I would also recommend it hands down.!!!!!!!!!:yeah:

I have weighed the measles ball, the blue circle that comes with centennial sets, the red dot, the red circle and they come within 2 grams. I can't find my notes or I'd give the weights. I'll look some more and edit later if I find the exact weights.

I like the measles ball for practice so I notice when I'm inadvertantly hitting off center.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
triangle

maxeypad2007 said:
I like the super aramith pro "triangle" cue ball or the measles ball.

How does the triangle CB play?
the same as red circle??

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another vote for the red circle cb. Ive never weighed them compared to other cue balls or object balls, but I have always felt that I can get a lot more action out of the red circles.

I would like to say something for the record....
Someone asked what a mudball is. "Mudballs" were slang for the composite balls used between the era of ivory and phenolic. Somehow or another people started calling the 2 3/8 "grapefruit" cue ball on a barbox.... a mudball. Plain and simple, its not. Ive even heard people calling a regular 2 1/4 barbox cueball, a mudball. They are incorrect also.
Chuck

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Cue ball return?

Johnnyt said:
You said you have a barbox but you did not state if you want the cue ball to go to the cue ball return or if it is okay that it goes to the side return with the object balls.
If you want it to go to the cue ball return the green logo valley ball would be the best choice. If the side is okay then get a red circle.