Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings
Page 3 of 78 123 451353 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 4.96 average.
Old
  (#31)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-26-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznj View Post
You are providing a great service to the pool community. I would like to thank you for your contributions.
I played with some of the shots today. I didn't do as well as I would have liked,but I enjoy practicing with drills like this.
After you practice some more, please post your score and let us know how well you think the rating matches your perceived level of play. And if you have a camera, please consider posting videos.

With all of the recent threads dealing with player-rating games (Fargo, Playing the Ghost, Q-Skills, etc.) and video cameras, I though a lot more AZB'ers would be willing and excited to take the BU exams, post results, and maybe post videos. Hopefully, more people will participate over time.

Quote:
You are providing a great service to the pool community. I You have quite the cast of characters on your faculty. I have worked with Randy G, Jerry B, and Mark F. All are great teachers.
The BU is blessed to have such a "dream team" of professors. They were very helpful and provided excellent insight and advice while Randy Russell and I were developing the exams and rating system. Here they are again, to give them the credit they deserve:

Quote:
I hope you get to the New Jersey area in the near future.
I don't travel much to teach, but if you ever want to visit beautiful Colorado, I'd be happy to work with you. Bob Jewett, Randy Russell, and I are offering the first annual BU Summer School Boot Camp this July. If you can swing it, try to come.

Best regards,
Dave

Old
  (#32)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Great drills Dave! I notice you suggest having music playing in the background to validate the no edit but beware, you tube will automatically mute your video if certain songs are playing owned by a couple of the studios. This has happened to me on many occasions and I was just shooting pool with a playlist going from my computer to keep me company. And to make matters worse you will get an e mail from them about copyright infringement which means nothing but could make some folks nervous.
I'm glad you mentioned this. I will look into this.

The exam videos I posted (Exam I and Exam II) have the music running continuously. I got an e-mail about it from YouTube indicating the videos might not be playable in certain countries, but I don't think the audio has been muted (I can still hear it when I play the videos, but they are my videos). Could you or somebody else check the videos for me and let me know if the audio is muted? Thanks.

Quote:
I prefer the Avery clear vinyl reinforcement circles #05722 over the white ones. They are thinner I think and almost invisible. Less than 4 bucks for 1000 of them. You can leave them all over the place and barely notice them when you move from drills to games. Sometimes you have to move your head around to catch a glare in order to even find them.
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually prefer the white (I have both), because I want them very visible, especially in videos people post.

Quote:
I made a permanent 10 ball rack using my magic rack as a template with these and it works great just like the slug doctor. They are tough as hell and if one gets worn or damaged you can replace just that one to keep the whole rack in good order. I started with a normal spot that I punched a hole in the center and used the circles to make the rest (ok I got the idea from Stan Shuffet). Racks are immediate and tight and these clear circles are no factor to shoot over unlike the magic rack or the white circles which can skid a ball if hit just right.
That's a great idea. Thanks JC (and Stan).

Thanks again for you input,
Dave

Old
  (#33)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Dave, do all the drills have to be on one video, or can you do each "set" of drills on a separate video? Camera I now have only records for 25 min.
Neil,

You can break up the video in as many pieces as you need to, but try to limit it to as few as possible, maybe 2-3 videos for each exam. If you feel like it, you can combine the videos in video editing software (e.g., the free versions of Windows MovieMaker or Mac iMovie); otherwise, multiple videos are fine.

I look forward to seeing your score and videos. Maybe you can be the first to earn one of the free diplomas.

Best regards,
Dave

Old
  (#34)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

05-26-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Neil,

You can break up the video in as many pieces as you need to, but try to limit it to as few as possible, maybe 2-3 videos for each exam. If you feel like it, you can combine the videos in video editing software (e.g., the free versions of Windows MovieMaker or Mac iMovie); otherwise, multiple videos are fine.

I look forward to seeing your score and videos. Maybe you can be the first to earn one of the free diplomas.

Best regards,
Dave
I know you said that scores on less than 9' don't allow for the doctorate. Have you considered taking the pocket size and shelf depth into consideration on that? Doesn't a 4 1/8" pocket with a 1 1/4" shelf relate to a 5" pocket with a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" pocket pretty well? (that is, 7' vs 9')

Also, anyone know the best way to upload videos to youtube? My camera has a memory card that I put in the computer to upload to my computer. That only takes a minute or two. However, when I go to upload that to youtube, they say it will take 8-9 hours!!?? I have it on my comp. as jpeg.

Last edited by Neil; 05-26-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Old
  (#35)
JC
Needs Moderation
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-26-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention that there is a factor in the score related to table size. If you take Exam I on a table smaller than 9', you're not allowed to take the Doctorate version of Exam II even if you score high enough on Exam I. In fact, this happened to me during my run at the exams (as summarized in the Exam I overview video). I got a 74 on Exam I, which falls in the Doctorate range (70-100), but since I took the Exam on an 8' table, I wasn't allowed to take the Doctorate version of Exam II. I had to take the Masters version instead, which has few points available. If I had taken the Doctorate version, I'm sure I could have earned more points than I did with the Masters version (even though the difficulty level is tougher with the Doctorate version), so doing the exams on a smaller table can limit your total score some.

Thanks again for the good question,
Dave
I'm actually a bit surprised by the liberal pocket size and short shelf on your table. Some folks might call it an 8 footer with "buckets". I always envision Willy Mosconi running 526 balls on a table like yours. Is there a reason you practice and play on a table with these characteristics instead of a more challenging one? It looks like your room has quite a bit of space for a nine footer.

Also a question about the stop shot drill in exam 1. It looks like you have the line directed off center slightly to allow you to roll over to the rail instead of shooting right to the back of the pocket? This makes a few of them not true stop shots. Had the rail not been there to bounce back off of the cue ball looks like it would have rolled out of the zone. Was this line off center or were you cheating the pocket to achieve this? Or did you just miss the stop shot? I thought stop shots stopped, not rebound off the rail? Did you use a laser to line it up? Inquiring minds want to know.

JC

John Chaplin
Coos Cues
jchaplin@charter.net
It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble.
It's what you know that just ain't so.

Old
  (#36)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
... Could you or somebody else check the videos for me and let me know if the audio is muted? ...
The music is still there, Dave.

Old
  (#37)
mikepage
AzB Silver Member
mikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
[...] Could you or somebody else check the videos for me and let me know if the audio is muted? Thanks.
I hear the music.

mike page
http://www.fargorate.com
player ratings for the world

Old
  (#38)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member
Cory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2013, 12:54 AM

I took Exam I on a 9' Diamond pro-cut and got a 65.

F1 (cut shot): 10
F2 (stop shot): 10
F3 (Follow): 8 -- I think I would usually get a 10 on this.
F4 (Draw): 6 -- The draw part of my stroke was pretty good, but I failed to hit the OB squarely enough a few times and went wide (instead of long or short)
F5 (Stun): 7 -- I got stuck on Shot 3 a few times.
F6: 6 (Pocketing) -- Need to practice this one! Especially shot 4.
F7: 8 (Wagon wheel) -- I missed #1 twice! This is where I lost all my points. I should be able to get 8 out of the first four shots.
F8: 10 (Grid target) -- I think I set this up as a thinner cut than the sketch, which seems to make it a lot harder (but it makes Shot 5 easier).

On Exam 1, I think would average about 75-80 after maybe 2 or 3 more tries. I would expect to get 60-70 on Exam 2 with a bit of practice. I might just barely be able to defend my dissertation, so to speak.

Thanks for posting this.
Cory

CUES:Schon, Webb
HOURS OF POOL: 10 in a good week

Old
  (#39)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-27-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I know you said that scores on less than 9' don't allow for the doctorate. Have you considered taking the pocket size and shelf depth into consideration on that? Doesn't a 4 1/8" pocket with a 1 1/4" shelf relate to a 5" pocket with a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" pocket pretty well? (that is, 7' vs 9')
Again, we thought about several ways to do this, but none of them seemed useful or simple enough. I think having the equipment info posted with the BU scores is enough to provide the necessary context (see the page listing the official graduates). How difficult pockets play depends on many factors (point-to-point size, shelf depth, pocket wall angles, condition of the rubber and cloth on the pocket walls, humidity, etc.). I've seen some fairly big pockets play fairly tight, and some fairly small pockets play fairly loose. IMO, it would be too complicated to try to quantitatively incorporate all of these factors into the scoring system. That's why we just decided to list the equipment information along with the scores, and require a 9' (or larger) table for the Doctorate. This keeps things simple and yet still encourages people to take the exams on tough conditions (for pride, and to achieve the highest level of diploma).

Quote:
Also, anyone know the best way to upload videos to youtube? My camera has a memory card that I put in the computer to upload to my computer. That only takes a minute or two. However, when I go to upload that to youtube, they say it will take 8-9 hours!!?? I have it on my comp. as jpeg.
Are you sure the videos are stored as JPEG, and not MPEG? That sounds like too long a time (unless you have a phone modem from the1970's). Hopefully, somebody out there will have some advice for you. Do you have somebody local you can ask for help?

I hope you get it working. Are you going to be the first Doctorate of Pool?

Regards and good luck,
Dave

Old
  (#40)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

05-27-2013, 04:46 PM

Doc Dave watched all the videos on youtube , one suggestion. at the beginning of the 1st video you pitch the BU and what it is, does and why. thats the 3 key points to sell your wares. good job. Problem is at the beginning of the other 4 you repeat too much of that pitch. I know you have to have a explanation at the beginning of each video because people might not watch them in order or all at once-like i did. But its too redundant and should be edit down a bit on 2,3,4,5. Still explain Bu but in a more succinct manor.

more importantly i like the "target pool" concept, i shoot practice drill likes that, i pot the ball thats automatic, i'm more interested in where the CB stops, shooting drills like that, is my favorite tpye of practice and effective when i'm working on pool and not mu stroke or other things.

over all yes very good, i hope it does well for you

best
eric

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#41)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-27-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I'm actually a bit surprised by the liberal pocket size and short shelf on your table. Some folks might call it an 8 footer with "buckets". I always envision Willy Mosconi running 526 balls on a table like yours. Is there a reason you practice and play on a table with these characteristics instead of a more challenging one? It looks like your room has quite a bit of space for a nine footer.
That is the table I bought when I was living in a much smaller place. If you have seen any of my older videos in the dark basement with stone walls, you'll recognize the table.

Also, an 8' table with big pockets is ideal for filming for pool DVD projects. It takes a lot less time to get footage on difficult shots that might require 10-times as many attempts on a larger table with tight pockets. The VEPS series I did with Tom Ross would have taken forever to film on a really tough table. The 8' foot size is also better when trying to get different camera angles for the DVDs.

I agree with you that the pockets on my table are "buckets" (although, they play a little tighter than they look, especially compared to my league's Valley bar boxes, where the corner pockets truly are buckets even though they are physically smaller and look much tighter with how they are cut).

I do have a goal of achieving a Doctorate of Pool within the next year. If I reach this goal, I'll post the 9' table videos. I think I'll be more proud of the Pool Doctorate than the Engineering Doctorate when I achieve my goal. Wish me luck.

Quote:
Also a question about the stop shot drill in exam 1. It looks like you have the line directed off center slightly to allow you to roll over to the rail instead of shooting right to the back of the pocket? This makes a few of them not true stop shots. Had the rail not been there to bounce back off of the cue ball looks like it would have rolled out of the zone. Was this line off center or were you cheating the pocket to achieve this? Or did you just miss the stop shot? I thought stop shots stopped, not rebound off the rail? Did you use a laser to line it up? Inquiring minds want to know.
In the first version on Exam I, we actually required that the CB not touch the rail for a true stop shot, but we decided to go with the current version, where rail contact is allowed. Using the rail increases the margin for error, and smart players will know how to take advantage of this. That's part of the challenge with some of the drills ... sometimes "knowledge" and creativity can be helpful. We cover a lot of "hot tips" and advice along these lines in the BU DVD series. Another good example where you can increase your margin for error is the follow shot drill in Exam I. Deflecting the CB off the long rail above the side pocket is a much better approach, and playing to come off the end rail increases the margin for error with speed significantly.

Thank you for you input and comments.

Have you taken the exams yet? Should we expect your score (and video?) soon?

Catch you later,
Dave

Old
  (#42)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-27-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
... Could you or somebody else check the videos for me and let me know if the audio is muted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
The music is still there, Dave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage View Post
I hear the music.
Thanks! I hope this doesn't present a problem for others submitting exam videos.

Catch you later,
Dave

Old
  (#43)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-27-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in DC View Post
I took Exam I on a 9' Diamond pro-cut and got a 65.

F1 (cut shot): 10
F2 (stop shot): 10
F3 (Follow): 8 -- I think I would usually get a 10 on this.
F4 (Draw): 6 -- The draw part of my stroke was pretty good, but I failed to hit the OB squarely enough a few times and went wide (instead of long or short)
F5 (Stun): 7 -- I got stuck on Shot 3 a few times.
F6: 6 (Pocketing) -- Need to practice this one! Especially shot 4.
F7: 8 (Wagon wheel) -- I missed #1 twice! This is where I lost all my points. I should be able to get 8 out of the first four shots.
F8: 10 (Grid target) -- I think I set this up as a thinner cut than the sketch, which seems to make it a lot harder (but it makes Shot 5 easier).

On Exam 1, I think would average about 75-80 after maybe 2 or 3 more tries. I would expect to get 60-70 on Exam 2 with a bit of practice. I might just barely be able to defend my dissertation, so to speak.

Thanks for posting this.
Cory
After you get the score you want on Exam I, and after you take Exam II, please post your BU score so I can add you to the list in the first post of this thread. And if you have access to a video camera, please post the videos, in which case I can grant you a diploma and send it to you for free.

If you do as well as you predict, you can be the first BU Doctorate of Pool.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#44)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-27-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
Doc Dave watched all the videos on youtube , one suggestion. at the beginning of the 1st video you pitch the BU and what it is, does and why. thats the 3 key points to sell your wares. good job.
Thanks; although, I hope the videos also make it clear that we're not just selling stuff. One point of the videos was to show that everything people need to use the exams and rate themselves is all on the website and free. Only people who want an official diploma and/or instructional DVDs need to pay anything. I didn't mean to push the diploma/DVD marketing angle too much, but maybe I did.

Quote:
Problem is at the beginning of the other 4 you repeat too much of that pitch. I know you have to have a explanation at the beginning of each video because people might not watch them in order or all at once-like i did. But its too redundant and should be edit down a bit on 2,3,4,5. Still explain Bu but in a more succinct manor.
I appreciate the input, but I'm done with video editing for a while. If people don't like the intro marketing blurb, they can easily skip it. I do that all of the time when I watch YouTube videos.

Quote:
more importantly i like the "target pool" concept, i shoot practice drill likes that, i pot the ball thats automatic, i'm more interested in where the CB stops, shooting drills like that, is my favorite tpye of practice and effective when i'm working on pool and not mu stroke or other things.
I'm glad you like the target drills. I like them too. The target makes the position-play challenges much more fun and motivating.

Quote:
over all yes very good, i hope it does well for you
Thanks!

Have you taken the full exams yet? If so, what was your score?

I was hoping more people would share their results and comment on how well they think the BU rating system works.

Thanks again,
Dave

Old
  (#45)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

05-27-2013, 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=

Are you sure the videos are stored as JPEG, and not MPEG? That sounds like too long a time (unless you have a phone modem from the1970's). Hopefully, somebody out there will have some advice for you. Do you have somebody local you can ask for help?

I hope you get it working. Are you going to be the first Doctorate of Pool?

Regards and good luck,
Dave[/QUOTE]

My daughter got something figured out to shorten the time. I won't be the first Doctorate because I don't have a 9' at home, and I'm not going to set up the table at the pool room with stickers and pay over $8 and hour to do it there. If they saw me putting stickers on their poor equipment, they would have a fit. They're funny that way. The owner and mngr of one room, and the mngr of the other room know nothing about pool. He almost barred one guy for laying his cue on the table! (they lightened up on that one now, thank goodness!)

Page 3 of 78 123 451353 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: