Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings
Page 5 of 78 « First 345 671555 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 4.96 average.
Old
  (#61)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

05-28-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadub View Post
Boy did I have a lot of fun with this. Not because I did well, quite the contrary...I was quite sure going into it that I would do poorly. I simply love the content and the structure.

I didn't even try to keep score, as I knew it would be bad. I spent about 90 minutes working on the drills from the first course.

F1 (cut shot): I did OK, for me. Still poor results, but I wasn't surprised.

F2 (stop shot): Again, OK for me, still not good.

F3 (Follow): 8 -- I felt that I did fairly well on this one, again for my ability. Which leads to....

F4 (Draw): 6 -- I did quite poorly on this one. Draw at distance has always been a challenge for me, and tonight was no exception.

F5 (Stun): 7 -- I was pleasantly surprised with how I did with this. Still wouldn't be a good score, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

F6: 6 (Pocketing) -- Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

F7: 8 (Wagon wheel) -- This was my biggest surprise of the night. Going into it, I felt this would be my biggest challenge, and I did better than expected.

F8: 10 (Grid target) -- I didn't get to this one.

Realize that I am what I consider to be a mediocre APA 5. This was on a 9-footer with moderately tight pockets. After a couple more sessions of work, I will actually keep score for real, and post it accordingly.

I am really thrilled to have this material to work with, in this format. I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get back to it some more. Thanks again, folks.

yes the structure and format are very good, and it creates a bench mark kinda thing so a person could do it on a regular basis and see how they are improving. kinda fun too

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#62)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-28-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Here's my exam 1, score 76. It's an 8' Olhausen with 5" pockets and 1.5" shelf on the corners.

http://youtu.be/DlV7jwr1kj4
Get Exam II posted and report your total BU score, and you can earn the second of the three free diplomas. A pool diploma would look really good on that pretty yellow wall.

Quote:
That damn wagon wheel was hard.
Check out the following video: NV D.10 - Draw Shot Trisect Aiming System - from Vol-II of the Billiard University instructional DVD series. It might help.

Quote:
And seeing myself on video I see how bad my stroke is. It's kinda like when you hear a recording of yourself and you think "do I sound like THAT?"
I know what you mean. I noticed a bunch of little "flaws" in my stroke when I watched my videos.

Thanks for participating. I look forward to seeing your second video. I'll add your results to list on the first page of the thread when you finish Exam II.

Catch you later,
Dave

Old
  (#63)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

05-28-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naji View Post
Thanks Dr. Dave. great instructions, and good spin on pool. I do apologize if i miss read it somewhere, but i would like the pro status degree to be reserved to actual field experience, in lieu of in home table achievement, such as winning a major local tournament couple of times, or competing with pros and winning some matches.
The Doctorate does not require "field experience." But you bring up a good point. Somebody that does well in "school" might not always do well in the "real world."

Thanks for your input,
Dave

Old
  (#64)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-28-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Here's my exam 1, score 76. It's an 8' Olhausen with 5" pockets and 1.5" shelf on the corners.

http://youtu.be/DlV7jwr1kj4
Cut out the center of your "rectangle target" according to the rectangle target template. That will increase your margin for error a little.

FYI, here's the specific point in the instructions video that shows how to cut out the target.

Don't make the exams any harder than they already are.

Catch you later,
Dave

Old
  (#65)
Gerry Williams
AzB Silver Member
Gerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond reputeGerry Williams has a reputation beyond repute

05-28-2013, 06:49 AM

All videos are now uploaded.

Cheers,
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Your Exam II videos are not viewable in YouTube yet ("still processing"). Do you know why this is the case? Regardless, I trust you.

Congratulations!!! You just earned the first of the three free diplomas. You are know have a "Master of Pool with Honors." PM or e-mail me your mailing address and I'll send the diploma to you.

FYI, I've added your info to the original post on the 1st page and on the official BU list of graduates.

Keep working and maybe you can reach the Doctorate level.

Thank you for participating,
Dave

Old
  (#66)
JC
Needs Moderation
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-28-2013, 09:47 AM

The reason I like Fargo for self assessment is that it seems to go quickly

http://youtu.be/aNV5gNIZ2GE

JC

John Chaplin
Coos Cues
jchaplin@charter.net
It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble.
It's what you know that just ain't so.

Old
  (#67)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

05-28-2013, 11:58 AM

Fundamentals test is filmed, uploading now. Will be a while... (about 5-6 hours) couldn't get the other sites figured out properly. Score was 81.
http://youtu.be/slVzB8b3UjI is part 1
http://youtu.be/rSGZp439EqQ is part 2

Going to go take the Masters test now.

Old
  (#68)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
yes the structure and format are very good
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
and it creates a bench mark kinda thing so a person could do it on a regular basis and see how they are improving. kinda fun too
I couldn't agree more.

Best regards,
Dave

Old
  (#69)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-28-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
The reason I like Fargo for self assessment is that it seems to go quickly
... but Fargo doesn't test the full range of required pool skills. But I agree ... Fargo is a fun and challenging game/drill. I actually considered including Fargo as one of the BU Exam drills, but it is not specific enough and varies too much from one rack to the next.

The BU exams take about 40-50 minutes each. If you think that this is too much time to practice pool, then the BU assessment tools are probably not a good choice for you.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#70)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-28-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Fundamentals test is filmed, uploading now. Will be a while... (about 5-6 hours) couldn't get the other sites figured out properly. Score was 81.

Going to go take the Masters test now.
Neil,

I look forward to seeing your videos for both exams and your total BU score. If it doesn't take too long, hopefully, you can receive one of the three free diplomas.

Best regards,
Dave

Old
  (#71)
JC
Needs Moderation
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

05-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
... but Fargo doesn't test the full range of required pool skills. But I agree ... Fargo is a fun and challenging game/drill. I actually considered including Fargo as one of the BU Exam drills, but it is not specific enough and varies too much from one rack to the next.

The BU exams take about 40-50 minutes each. If you think that this is too much time to practice pool, then the BU assessment tools are probably not a good choice for you.

Regards,
Dave
I was just kidding with you in reference to the speed I set that video at. You must not have clicked on it. Joke, joke. Relax!

After Scott Lee showed me his "mother drills" and we went through them he asked me how long I thought it would take to perform them all daily. I said maybe 45 minutes and he just laughed. He told me more like 3-4 hours and that I needed to now make a choice between them and my family.

JC

John Chaplin
Coos Cues
jchaplin@charter.net
It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble.
It's what you know that just ain't so.

Old
  (#72)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

05-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Masters test part 1 http://youtu.be/MF9TFjMCkOE
Masters test part 2 http://youtu.be/gpfv-rmmPII

Have to recharge camera battery before I can do part 3.

Have sections S1-5 done, scores so far of 7,11,11,12,4. Blew it on the safes.

Old
  (#73)
Neil
AzB Silver Member

05-28-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Neil,

I look forward to seeing your videos for both exams and your total BU score. If it doesn't take too long, hopefully, you can receive one of the three free diplomas.

Best regards,
Dave
I'll have it done tonight, and will post my scores, but it looks like it won't be viewable until tomorrow. (early , early morning)

Old
  (#74)
robsnotes4u
AzB Silver Member
robsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Skype™ to robsnotes4u 
05-28-2013, 05:55 PM

I visited eith Mike Page last night while he eas testing himself again. I will look into it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Robert Martin
Mandan, ND and Fargo, ND

Cue...2011 Keith Josey Custom
Ob Break Cue

Old
  (#75)
Neil
AzB Silver Member

05-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Fundamentals- score 81

Masters- score 60

Masters test part 1 http://youtu.be/MF9TFjMCkOE
Masters test part 2 http://youtu.be/gpfv-rmmPII
Masters test part 3 http://youtu.be/dlyH0FSK_-8

Total score- 141

This was a good test. Worked a lot of different areas. I recommend everyone try it and work with it, it can only improve your game. I tested about where I thought I would end up. Felt like I could definitely have done better on a few areas, but that's what happens when you hardly ever play anymore.

edit: Just so you know, on S8, you will see that I make the ball, but fouled the blocker ball. I did not count that shot as a make, but as a miss.

Last edited by Neil; 05-28-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Page 5 of 78 « First 345 671555 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: