Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Turning Stone XXIII finals: Shaw vs Shane thread
Page 2 of 10 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
RADAR
AzB Silver Member
RADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-04-2017, 03:06 AM

Dang could not be home watch this match. Anyone know if there is a rerun of the match any where?

Old
  (#17)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

09-04-2017, 05:31 AM

There once was a fellow named Shane
Who never got credit for his game
Then he played Jayson Shaw
And the fans were in awe
Now he's headed to the BCA Hall of Fame!

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#18)
Poolshootindon
Registered Pool Offender
Poolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 75

09-04-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9andout View Post
13-4 oh yeah!!!!!
I can hear the Shane haters now. 'Take away his monster break and fantastic shot making and he is just a normal Joe.' LOL

Great job Shane. You are da man.

D Mills
Old
  (#19)
Colormegone2002
AzB Silver Member
Colormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond reputeColormegone2002 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 571

D Mills - 09-04-2017, 05:59 AM

Donnie Mills should be getting a ton of credit for the way he played this weekend!

Congrats to Shane and Jay as well

Bill Sullivan

great competition again
Old
  (#20)
Runnintable
AzB Silver Member
Runnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond repute

great competition again - 09-04-2017, 06:59 AM

Great live stream. Very high level of play from a lot of names new and old.

Good Luck and Good Strokes,

RunninTable

Old
  (#21)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 09:13 AM

https://i.imgur.com/GPTowdC.jpg

These two played at a high level through the whole tournament.
It was really special to watch the Sunday matches up close.

The level of play was amazing. The turning point was when Shaw was left the edge of the 1 and decided to go for the bank with the score tied 3-3....Shane figured out the break and before we knew it, the score was 10-3.

There were some shots that Shane had to come with it, like the 4 sitting behind the 5 in the corner pocket...everyone whispering on how to play the shot safe and where he could go, and he cuts it up, 9 feet to the opposite corner.

I look forward to watching this match again (and the hot seat match where Jayson won 9-3 earlier) whenever they make it to YouTube or Upstate Al's ustream archive.

Huge congratulations to Upstate Al, Troy, Eddie and the Russian guy for the commentary. They make it fun, entertaining and at the same time educational. Upstate Al's operation has come a very long way and is impressive to see in person. To put on a live quality free stream is a treat of which this year I was most appreciative from being sidelined at home with a fractured foot...I had to watch through the stream until Sunday, I got up there on crutches.

Zuglan put on a great tournament once again, and the players' focus, intensity, and level of play is proof that there is a special pride in winning this tournament.

The racking issues were extremely nonexistent and when they did appear, they never distracted from any of the matches I watched. This is another credit to Zuglan, to keep old rules, winners break, 9-ball just as exciting and unpredictable as it should be.

Another Turning Stone Classic in the books and surely, one of the best pool Sundays I can remember. We are watching pool in special times, with special players. I'm extremely grateful.

https://i.imgur.com/GMNyqhz.jpg

Old
  (#22)
Joe_Jaguar
AzB Silver Member
Joe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan Kid View Post

The racking issues were extremely nonexistent
In the few matches I watched, that was the first TS in years on the stream where numerous matches weren't ruined by the ridiculous racking issues. The only one I saw doing it was Sossei, as in past events. Number of times in his match with Shuff he just stood there dumbfounded on how to rack, gave up, Shuff came over and threw a tight acceptable rack up in about 7 seconds and the match resumed.

Old
  (#23)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 09:56 AM

Watching it made me realize I’d rather see alternate break. Or better yet, like the US Open where they keep winner breaks but make it harder to successfully break.

Old
  (#24)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member
sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan Kid View Post
https://i.imgur.com/GPTowdC.jpg

These two played at a high level through the whole tournament.
It was really special to watch the Sunday matches up close.

The level of play was amazing. The turning point was when Shaw was left the edge of the 1 and decided to go for the bank with the score tied 3-3....Shane figured out the break and before we knew it, the score was 10-3.

There were some shots that Shane had to come with it, like the 4 sitting behind the 5 in the corner pocket...everyone whispering on how to play the shot safe and where he could go, and he cuts it up, 9 feet to the opposite corner.

I look forward to watching this match again (and the hot seat match where Jayson won 9-3 earlier) whenever they make it to YouTube or Upstate Al's ustream archive.

Huge congratulations to Upstate Al, Troy, Eddie and the Russian guy for the commentary. They make it fun, entertaining and at the same time educational. Upstate Al's operation has come a very long way and is impressive to see in person. To put on a live quality free stream is a treat of which this year I was most appreciative from being sidelined at home with a fractured foot...I had to watch through the stream until Sunday, I got up there on crutches.

Zuglan put on a great tournament once again, and the players' focus, intensity, and level of play is proof that there is a special pride in winning this tournament.

The racking issues were extremely nonexistent and when they did appear, they never distracted from any of the matches I watched. This is another credit to Zuglan, to keep old rules, winners break, 9-ball just as exciting and unpredictable as it should be.

Another Turning Stone Classic in the books and surely, one of the best pool Sundays I can remember. We are watching pool in special times, with special players. I'm extremely grateful.

https://i.imgur.com/GMNyqhz.jpg
Great post and commentary. I really enjoyed watching the stream. I was going to head to the pool hall but I just couldn't pass up watching Shane and Jayson and then once Jayson won I just had to see if SVB could come back and beat him in the finals.

And I'm glad I did. It was phenomenal pool by SVB, Shaw and Mills.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#25)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member
sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR View Post
Dang could not be home watch this match. Anyone know if there is a rerun of the match any where?
Wow. It's already up! Great job UpstateAL. Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW3B3Ejjt7Y

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#26)
Quesports
AzB Silver Member
Quesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Winner breaks format and Shane's outstanding play did in Jayson. He spent as much time racking as he did playing.

Old
  (#27)
JohnnyOzone
AzB Silver Member
JohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Watching it made me realize Id rather see alternate break. Or better yet, like the US Open where they keep winner breaks but make it harder to successfully break.
I greatly prefer winner breaks. It puts so much more pressure on the players because a mistake could cause you a bunch of games instead of just one.

Walk among the living

Old
  (#28)
Poolplaya9
Tellin' it like it is...
Poolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800
  Send a message via AIM to Poolplaya9  
09-04-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOzone View Post
I greatly prefer winner breaks. It puts so much more pressure on the players because a mistake could cause you a bunch of games instead of just one.
Yes in winner breaks a mistake can cost you a bunch of games but you also have the ability to put up a bunch yourself to catch up or get ahead. I think alternate breaks is more pressure simply because you can't put packages together to catch up. You have to make every game count, and since they count so much more there is more pressure on every single game. Not to mention alternate breaks tends to result in closer scores all the way and so both players are also feeling the pressure from the score as well instead of just one of the players feeling the pressure from the score.

Old
  (#29)
SmoothStroke
AzB Silver Member
SmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 06:35 PM

All great players.
Double elimination should be double elimination to the end, all the way to the end.
THE END.

I almost made that shot.
You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

Old
  (#30)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolplaya9 View Post
Yes in winner breaks a mistake can cost you a bunch of games but you also have the ability to put up a bunch yourself to catch up or get ahead. I think alternate breaks is more pressure simply because you can't put packages together to catch up. You have to make every game count, and since they count so much more there is more pressure on every single game. Not to mention alternate breaks tends to result in closer scores all the way and so both players are also feeling the pressure from the score as well instead of just one of the players feeling the pressure from the score.
Yes, both formats have lead to nail biters in the past. But last night, with Shane up 11-3 (I think) and turned the table over, there was a lot of anticipation to see if Jayson could get back in it. With winner breaks, there definitely was a chance and that lead to a gripping match even though Shane had such a massive lead.

Also winners breaks allows for sheer dominance to be displayed at the table...The kind of stuff you only read in pool history books these days.

Seeing Shaw reduce Shane to 8-0 in 38 minutes in the semi finals was intense, and seeing Shane return the favor in the finals by keeping Shaw in his seat for what seemed like an eternity, was a legendary response. Pool movies can't be written this well.

And if you treated this as a rematch of challenge of Champions....

Shaw won first set 9-3
Shane won second set 9-3
Shane wins the tiebreaker 4-1

It's just fantastic rivalry pool.

Page 2 of 10 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: