Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page In Maryland, D.C., and Virginia area, where do folks go during the week to play pool?
Page 3 of 8 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-12-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Here's a collage that hung in Champion Billiards in Silver Spring from the '80s era.
Saw quote a few I know. Cookie, Jason hill, yen, Danny green, looks like olney, of course you and geese , is that Cager? Oh yeah, Cutty lol. And I'm pretty sure I see Strawberry too.

Last edited by BmoreMoney; 09-12-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Old
  (#32)
Black-Balled
Look Everythings Spinning
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-12-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn_Slinger View Post
Hey Jam. I know a lost of those people in the pic.
Can you name them all? And is it possible that one
of them is 'Moskie' ? Lenard Moskiwitzs ( spell check ) ?
Great pic!
Thanks
I will second that request...some gold, right there...wow.

Two thirds from the top,
Another third for roads and cops.
Don't kid yourself that it's ever gonna stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#33)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

09-12-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn_Slinger View Post
Hey Jam. I know a lost of those people in the pic.
Can you name them all? And is it possible that one
of them is 'Moskie' ? Lenard Moskiwitzs ( spell check ) ?
Great pic!
Thanks
I'll tell you who could name 'em is Kid Dynomite. But here's the ones I do know, starting at the top upper left: Geese, me, Dennis Wilson, Mike, ??, Hadji, ??

Second row from top. ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

Third row from top: Grady, Alison, Bo Newport, Bo Newport's son (can't remember his name), Efren, Cutty

Bottom row, Shorty, Bobby Hawk, Bo Newport's son again, Spanish Mike, and Jim Rempe.

Somebody fill in the holes!

Old
  (#34)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreMoney View Post
Saw quote a few I know. Cookie, Jason hill, yen, Danny green, looks like olney, of course you and geese , is that Cager? Oh yeah, Cutty lol. And I'm pretty sure I see Strawberry too.
I don't think Danny Green is in there. No Strawberry. A lot of these are more D.C. folks than Baltimore, I think.

Old
  (#35)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I don't think Danny Green is in there. No Strawberry. A lot of these are more D.C. folks than Baltimore, I think.
Who is the younger white boy connected to Jason hill? Bo's son Mike

Last edited by BmoreMoney; 09-12-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Old
  (#36)
Black-Balled
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Who is the younger white boy connected to Jason hill?
Thats me, ya dick!

Two thirds from the top,

Quote:
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#37)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member

09-12-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Thats me, ya dick!
Lol, didn't know u back then!!! Lol

Old
  (#38)
barrymuch90
AzB Silver Member
barrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond reputebarrymuch90 has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2017, 07:26 AM

For whatever reason I didn't bother to open this thread but out of boredom I finally did and wow!!! What a read especially the old clip from I guess a newspaper or something? Truly some good insight to the realm of what we know and love. I will admit I'm only 26 but have lived and loved the poolroom since I first walked in about 12 years ago. The first room I entered,worked in, and honed my skills in faced a similar fate as the one from the clip. There was plenty of customers and a whole generation of young people but after that smoking ban the kids hanging out slowly disappeared and eventually it seems so did everyone else. It's amazing how most people didn't like the smoke but I think would trade all the negatives to go back to the way the rooms used to be. Once again Very good read I'm glad I found this

Old
  (#39)
Black-Balled

09-12-2017, 07:43 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.b077bc1bde8c

Pool Lines Their Pockets

By Ned Corrigan November 3, 1983

They came from all over and it seemed they all had nicknames: "Seattle Sam" Trivette and Fletcher (Tucker) Shephard, former Virginia champions; Mike (Geese) Gerace, the current Maryland champion; Steve (T-Shirt) Moroffko, Frank (West Virginia) Kroll and Gregory (Radar) Cattaneo.

"You can't be a pool player without one," said Doug Kelly of the monikers. Kelly didn't need one because he was one of the directors of the tournament that determined the area's best nine-ball player.

The scene was the "Let's Play Games" pool hall in Rockville, where players from as far away as West Virginia came brandishing their sticks and their reputations. For two nights last week, a field of 32 players competed for $550 in prize money, a first-place trophy and satisfaction in knowing they were the best.

The field included five women, all of whom lost in the first round. "The women all played well, but the competition was stiff," said Richard Allen, tournament director.

The spectators were wall-to-wall to watch the players bank and spin the balls around the green felt table. The object of the game is to sink the nine ball before your opponent does. The nine ball can be driven into one of the six pockets either by first taking off the balls numbered one through eight in order, or by using one of those lower numbered balls, in proper order, to bank in the nine. The first player to win six games advances.

The competition was stiff. Seattle Sam and Tucker Shephard were eliminated in the second round.

In the end, it came down to a shootout between Geese Gerace and Danny Wohlford, who both make their living playing pool. "In the finals, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop," said Kelly.

"I was a little nervous," said Geese. "It was a tough field and anybody could have won. Whoever gets the shots is going to win." When the smoke had cleared, Geese had defeated Wohlford six games to three and collected the huge champion's trophy and the $300 first prize. Wohlford got $100 for second place.

Geese, 32, has spent many hours honing his craft. "I do this most of the time," he said. Geese praises the movie "The Hustler" for accuracy and says that there have been times when his own life paralleled that of the Paul Newman character who hustled the legendary Minnesota Fats.

"I had a chance to get my thumbs broken in a lot of spots," Geese recalled. "But I want you to understand that it's a gentleman's game. But there are some places you don't want to go. Tournaments are the best way to play."

Geese calls pool a "growing sport. There are more state tournaments now than there's ever been."

"Let's Play Games" owner Richard Allen also sees an increase in the popularity of pool. "We're trying to do with pool what was done with bowling," Allen said. "When I was growing up I wasn't allowed to go into a bowling alley; they were dark, underground places. Now they're called bowling lanes and they're clean. I wasn't allowed to go into pool halls, either. We trying to change that old-fashioned image. We want a family-style atmosphere here, where a man could feel comfortable bringing his date or his wife."

For many players and spectators the real "action" begins when the tournament is over and the players challenge each other in private games.

"That's where the big money is," Kelly said. CAPTION: Picture 1, Gregory (Radar) Cattaneo concentrates during competition in Rockville. Picture 2, For two nights last week, 32 players competed to determine the best nine-ball player in the area. The winner received $300 and a large trophy.

Two thirds from the top,

Quote:

Old
  (#40)
Black-Balled

09-12-2017, 07:46 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.eb12f3f421b3

'COLOR OF MONEY' CUE FOR YUPPIES TO GET IN TO POOL
By Ben Gieser April 9, 1989

I was a babe in the woods. It was about 20 years ago and I thought I played pool pretty well, being a veteran student of Bethesda Billiard Academy. So I stepped up that day at Jack and Jill's pool hall when a big left-handed guy who called himself Seattle Sam offered to spot me some balls in straight pool, and I made my contribution.

Wendel, who looked like a mortician, quietly took me under in nine ball. I vowed to improve and did, and have been more careful picking my pool opponents since, steering clear of the likes of some good shooters and real characters such as the The Arab, Teddy Bear, Three-Fingered Ronnie, The Mailman, Strawberry, Louie, Taxi, Maalox, and Captain Slick. But pool (technically known as pocket billiards) is not all characters with wild monikers playing for money in a darkened bar.

For many, it is a recreational pastime, and one that requires good eye-hand coordination, composure, skill, common sense and lots of practice. Even the yuppies have jumped on the bandwagon, caught up in publicity created by the Tom Cruise-Paul Newman movie, "The Color of Money." A proprietor of a new, posh billiard parlor in New York says he cannot keep enough pool cue chalk in stock. "What you're seeing now is a lot of upscale pool rooms," said Larry Nicholson, part owner of the new Champion Billiards, a carpeted, 22-table room that recently opened in Frederick, Md. "Up in New York, they have rooms that charge as much as $15 to $20 an hour, catering to the yuppie crowd. From what I understand, they are very well lit and well-furnished. It's not the old, dingy, smoky pool room that people are used to going into."

The rates at the Champions in Frederick, Silver Spring and Arlington are $3.40 an hour for a single player, and $2.85 for two. Another 24-table Champions room and showroom is scheduled to open next winter in the Shirlington section of Arlington. "What we've tried to do is provide an atmosphere that will cater to the family as well as ladies on dates, or by themselves," said Nicholson. "I think it's been very well received here. There are more women in the pool room than any pool room I've ever seen in my life. "A lot of people don't see the real challenge of the game right away. If you see good players play, you realize there's more to the game. It's not a game of strength, or anything like that, it's a game of skills. It's mostly hand-eye coordination. It's a game for young, old, man, woman and child."

Indeed, the image of the typical pool player may be due for an update. "Pool has come out of the basement, into the rec rooms and family rooms," said Richard Allen, president of Champion Billiard Supply. "It's a much cleaner game. The old connotations of a backroom pool hall, with the guy with the visor taking numbers, that's gone. It's totally different from the connotation from {the movie} 'Music Man.' " The antipool lyric in that musical went: "There's trouble right here in River City. With a capital T, and that rhymes with P, and that stands for pool." According to Allen, "More and more television commercials, perfume, candy, whatever they're advertising, you see more pool tables incorporated into the ads. It brings more respectability into the game."

The Silver Spring and Frederick pool rooms start to get busy around lunchtime, when working people and some students take breaks. On weekends, more high school and college students of both sexes blend in to make the rooms busier. On Friday and Saturday nights in Frederick, one often must wait for a table. "Billiards rooms today are being used as social watering holes where people get together and just socialize," said Bob Matulis, assistant manager and instructor at Champions. "They may have no interest in getting proficient, but they just relax and meet their friends. It gives them another form of recreation to devote themselves to." Matulis quit his 15-year job in computers to return to the sport, which was his first love. "When I found out that pool was becoming so popular again, I decided to get back into the game," he said. Instruction costs $10 an hour. There also are books and instructional tapes available. "Right now, it's as popular worldwide as it's ever been," Matulis said. "The British are great fans, Japanese, Latin Americans, Canadians, the whole world is playing some form of pool or billiards." In fact, one recent television news item discussed government fears in China that too many people there were becoming hooked on pool.

The legendary names in pool are many. Of course there is Minnesota Fats, whose real name is Rudolph Wanderone, and after whom Jackie Gleason's Character was modeled in "The Hustler." Irving (The Deacon) Crane, looking regal in a tuxedo that tournament players often wear, is acknowledged as the first to pocket all 150 balls in one turn (inning) in a regulation straight pool tournament match. And Willie Mosconi once ran 526 balls in an exhibition.

So enjoy the game and know your opponent. And beware if some apparent innocent approaches and asks, "You wanna play some cheap?" Just say no.

WHERE TO PLAY Large area billiard parlors: GOLDEN CUE: 4822 Bladensburg Road, Bladensburg, Md. Phone 927-1214. 14 tables, rates $3 for one player, $5 for two, $6.50 for three, $7.50 for four. CORNER CUE: 1200 B Sandy Spring Road, Laurel. Phone 725-4373. 18 tables, $2.50/hour per person. CUE AND CHALK: 940 N. Jackson St., Arlington. Phone 522-9393. 10 tables, $3.60 for one, $2.80 for two, $2.20 each for three or more. BILL AND BILLIE Q CLUB: 512 Crain Hwy., Glen Burnie, Md. Phone 766-1212. 20 tables, $2.50 for 1, $5 for two, $7.50 for three (women half price). CHAMPION BILLIARDS: Silver Spring: 8216 Georgia Ave. Phone 587-5900. 16 tables, 1 player $3.40 per hour, 2 for $2.85, 3 for $2.25, 4 for $1.90 (same rates apply below). Arlington: 3249 Columbia Pike. Phone 521-4670. 9 tables. Frederick: 1051 W. Patrick St. Phone 662-1200. 22 tables.

Two thirds from the top,

Quote:

Old
  (#41)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

09-12-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Jam, 999's is OK place. I do have to say..... the tables . .. not great imo. I actually don't even know what kind they are other than full size lol. They have been there since at least when I was a kid. In the afternoons it's usually a packed house with all table full, but I'm sure someone would give you and Keith their table. They also have edible food if you get hungry. You will run into some old friends too that hang there - Bo Newport, Reggie just to na,email a few. Not sure exactly what yall looking for; but if I didn't need a bar and the choice was between Tip hat or 9's it would be Top Hat every time. Btw, Cigar Tom has started working back at Top Hat again.
It's a good place for a fun and sometimes frustrating Saturday tournament. They generally have over 30 players in the field and its running on only 8 tables concurrent with a smaller tournament for APA SL 5 and lower on the same tables. So expect to cool down due to a nice wait between matches...

...but the company there is good. Met a lot of good players and nice people since hanging out there. Made some cool friends.

As for the tables, They have 1 Black Gold Crown 4, 1 Gold Crown 3, and the rest are Brunswick Century 9 foot tables. They have a few Valley boxes up in the front in the bar area. The gold crowns play right. The Centurys, not so much. Pockets are cut funny. From the middle of the table you have all the room in the world in the hole, from the rail, the pockets are cut open with the deep shelf, the ball hangs very easy. Plus the Centruys site about 2 inches lower then most tables I have played on. Doesn't sound like much, and it isn't, but it definitely takes some adjusting, especially when down on the long straights.

Another small issue I have is the lack of consistent equipment. Like I said, they use 8 tables for the tournmanet and 2 are gold crowns they play well at regular height. The other 6 are the Centurys that sit lower. All have different grades of cloth. Some play fast, others play like my front lawn. The ball sets are mix matches and it's tough to get a good rack sometimes ad they also use different cueballs per table. One table you might get a red circle, next table you might get one with the green aramith logo, next table to get the heavy ass red dot that is hard as shit to draw accurately adn wont stop rolling on a follow shot.

The guys that run the tournament do the best they can with what they have to work with in regards to the few tables. I know some people have had a problem with them, but I havent. Left my jump cue there one week and wone of them picked it up afor me and held it until the following week. Good people as far as I'm concerned.

With all the being said, and knowing what to expect when you go there, it is a fun tournament. Race to 3 Loser break. 8ball in winners side, 9ball on losers side. Rack your own if you want too. BCA rules, 8 on snap doesnt count. 9ball side tex express with no 3 foul rule. It's the only regular 9 foot tournament around since Big Daddy's went south and it gives you something fun to do on a Saturday night if you dont have much else going on. Can get a tough field, but race to 3 and loser breaks still makes it interesting. Hacks like myself can get lucky here and there.

I used to go to the tournament weekly, but im gonna make it monthly instead and just go shoot at Top Hat instead for the other Saturdays of the month. They just added a nice bar with a good kitchen menu. All gold crown 3s that play great with some really tight ones up front (Tables, 2, 3, 10, and 11).

Top Hat is probably one of the best poolhall in the state. Upscale and clean. Good people, always find some action, especially in 1 hole and I'm sure you and Keith know a few people that are the regulars there. other then myself of course

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Last edited by Icon of Sin; 09-12-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Old
  (#42)
JAM
On the Hill

09-12-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post
It's a good place for a fun and sometimes frustrating Saturday tournament. They generally have over 30 players in the field and its running on only 8 tables concurrent with a smaller tournament for APA SL 5 and lower on the same tables. So expect to cool down due to a nice wait between matches...

...but the company there is good. Met a lot of good players and nice people since hanging out there. Made some cool friends.

As for the tables, They have 1 Black Gold Crown 4, 1 Gold Crown 3, and the rest are Brunswick Century 9 foot tables. They have a few Valley boxes up in the front in the bar area. The gold crowns play right. The Centurys, not so much. Pockets are cut funny. From the middle of the table you have all the room in the world in the hole, from the rail, the pockets are cut open with the deep shelf, the ball hangs very easy. Plus the Centruys site about 2 inches lower then most tables I have played on. Doesn't sound like much, and it isn't, but it definitely takes some adjusting, especially when down on the long straights.

Another small issue I have is the lack of consistent equipment. Like I said, they use 8 tables for the tournmanet and 2 are gold crowns they play well at regular height. The other 6 are the Centurys that sit lower. All have different grades of cloth. Some play fast, others play like my front lawn. The ball sets are mix matches and it's tough to get a good rack sometimes ad they also use different cueballs per table. One table you might get a red circle, next table you might get one with the green aramith logo, next table to get the heavy ass red dot that is hard as shit to draw accurately adn wont stop rolling on a follow shot.

The guys that run the tournament do the best they can with what they have to work with in regards to the few tables. I know some people have had a problem with them, but I havent. Left my jump cue there one week and wone of them picked it up afor me and held it until the following week. Good people as far as I'm concerned.

With all the being said, and knowing what to expect when you go there, it is a fun tournament. Race to 3 Loser break. 8ball in winners side, 9ball on losers side. Rack your own if you want too. BCA rules, 8 on snap doesnt count. 9ball side tex express with no 3 foul rule. It's the only regular 9 foot tournament around since Big Daddy's went south and it gives you something fun to do on a Saturday night if you dont have much else going on. Can get a tough field, but race to 3 and loser breaks still makes it interesting. Hacks like myself can get lucky here and there.

I used to go to the tournament weekly, but im gonna make it monthly instead and just go shoot at Top Hat instead for the other Saturdays of the month. They just added a nice bar with a good kitchen menu. All gold crown 3s that play great with some really tight ones up front (Tables, 2, 3, 10, and 11).

Top Hat is probably one of the best poolhall in the state. Upscale and clean. Good people, always find some action, especially in 1 hole and I'm sure you and Keith know a few people that are the regulars there. other then myself of course
Top Hat is definitely a place we're going to check out. You're right, though, in that I'm sure we'll know a few of the regulars. I haven't seen many of them in a long time. It will be a fun trip.

I'll take some photos if they allow me to. Some, believe it or not, in this day of Internet still like to try to fly under the radar.

Old
  (#43)
JAM
On the Hill

09-12-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.b077bc1bde8c

Pool Lines Their Pockets

By Ned Corrigan November 3, 1983

They came from all over and it seemed they all had nicknames: "Seattle Sam" Trivette and Fletcher (Tucker) Shephard, former Virginia champions; Mike (Geese) Gerace, the current Maryland champion; Steve (T-Shirt) Moroffko, Frank (West Virginia) Kroll and Gregory (Radar) Cattaneo.

"You can't be a pool player without one," said Doug Kelly of the monikers. Kelly didn't need one because he was one of the directors of the tournament that determined the area's best nine-ball player.

The scene was the "Let's Play Games" pool hall in Rockville, where players from as far away as West Virginia came brandishing their sticks and their reputations. For two nights last week, a field of 32 players competed for $550 in prize money, a first-place trophy and satisfaction in knowing they were the best.

The field included five women, all of whom lost in the first round. "The women all played well, but the competition was stiff," said Richard Allen, tournament director.

The spectators were wall-to-wall to watch the players bank and spin the balls around the green felt table. The object of the game is to sink the nine ball before your opponent does. The nine ball can be driven into one of the six pockets either by first taking off the balls numbered one through eight in order, or by using one of those lower numbered balls, in proper order, to bank in the nine. The first player to win six games advances.

The competition was stiff. Seattle Sam and Tucker Shephard were eliminated in the second round.

In the end, it came down to a shootout between Geese Gerace and Danny Wohlford, who both make their living playing pool. "In the finals, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop," said Kelly.

"I was a little nervous," said Geese. "It was a tough field and anybody could have won. Whoever gets the shots is going to win." When the smoke had cleared, Geese had defeated Wohlford six games to three and collected the huge champion's trophy and the $300 first prize. Wohlford got $100 for second place.

Geese, 32, has spent many hours honing his craft. "I do this most of the time," he said. Geese praises the movie "The Hustler" for accuracy and says that there have been times when his own life paralleled that of the Paul Newman character who hustled the legendary Minnesota Fats.

"I had a chance to get my thumbs broken in a lot of spots," Geese recalled. "But I want you to understand that it's a gentleman's game. But there are some places you don't want to go. Tournaments are the best way to play."

Geese calls pool a "growing sport. There are more state tournaments now than there's ever been."

"Let's Play Games" owner Richard Allen also sees an increase in the popularity of pool. "We're trying to do with pool what was done with bowling," Allen said. "When I was growing up I wasn't allowed to go into a bowling alley; they were dark, underground places. Now they're called bowling lanes and they're clean. I wasn't allowed to go into pool halls, either. We trying to change that old-fashioned image. We want a family-style atmosphere here, where a man could feel comfortable bringing his date or his wife."

For many players and spectators the real "action" begins when the tournament is over and the players challenge each other in private games.

"That's where the big money is," Kelly said. CAPTION: Picture 1, Gregory (Radar) Cattaneo concentrates during competition in Rockville. Picture 2, For two nights last week, 32 players competed to determine the best nine-ball player in the area. The winner received $300 and a large trophy.

Aw, Radar. He used to shoot at Hank Dietle's on the Pike, my alma mater of pool.

I thikn I have this article. I put inside the leg of my pool table, like a time capsule, so that somebody would find it after I die. I hope whoever does find it is a pool fan and will appreciate what I put in that leg of my pool table.

Danny Wolford used to be one of the best barbox players in Maryland. He went on a road a lot.

Great pool read!

Old
  (#44)
JAM
On the Hill

09-12-2017, 08:34 AM

Here's Radar, Tom-Tom, Jimmy Mac, and Richard Allen.

I saw Richard Allen not so long ago in the mall. He had long hair. I mean really long. I wouldn't have recognized him at first glance. He always treated me right. I like Richard.
Attached Images

Old
  (#45)
Black-Balled

09-12-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Aw, inside a leg...

Danny Wolford used to be one of the best barbox players in Maryland. He went on a road a lot.

Great pool read!
I put gravel and dirt inside my leg. Hope it isnt there for anyone else to own later!

Danny came through arlington one evening an i played him until the next day. We battled and i could tell he played well, but i kept winning, a few games ahead every hour.

He never asked to raise the bet and i didnt have to pay pool time or be anywhere, ever...and i ended up like 20-30 games winner.

We chatted a bit and he told me it was the first pool he played in over a year. I was playing good pool then, so i definitely would not have liked any part of an in-gear rockville danny.

Two thirds from the top,

Quote:

Page 3 of 8 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: