Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page In Maryland, D.C., and Virginia area, where do folks go during the week to play pool?
Page 7 of 8 « First 567 8

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#91)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post
Glad you like them, Jen, and yes, Jenny Gale is now Jennifer Duncan, and I've seen Zarou out at Triple Nines once in a while.

Mickey McGuire (AKA Peaches, "Dr. Hemingway", and a bunch of other names) was a real mensch and a real character. I once bought a lot of sports books from an old sportswriter at the Post, and since he went back a long ways, I asked him if he'd ever heard of a Mickey McGuire. Did he ever---he spent 15 minutes telling me stories about how Mickey once got caught with a fistfull of betting slips, but kept his mouth shut and spent a year in jail for his silence. A standup guy and maybe the most universally beloved member of the Washington pool community I've ever known.

And that REALLY old guy, Johnnie Priest, was a sociable billiards player at the old Brunswick Billiards at 14th & Irving before the 1968 riots, who then migrated up to Randolph Hills after that. When he first told me he'd played for the Yankees, which were called the Highlanders before World War I, I didn't believe him, but then I found an old baseball guide and there he was in two team pictures. Sweetest man you'd ever meet. I made copies of those pictures for him and he showed them around to anyone else who hadn't believed him.

Randolph Hills was a great little room back then, with Gumphrey and Geese the best of the lot, but of course back then there were good little action rooms all over the Washington area. It wasn't just Beenie's, Guys & Dolls, Bladensburg and 7th & T.
Dam all these great players back in the day yet you still think when I beat you it was something I feel privileged

Mark

Onestroke

Old
  (#92)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

09-14-2017, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreMoney View Post
BTW Jam, probably not this time but real soon. This is monthly right? Gonna get a shaft made for my Scruggs that i broke and Bmore just might have to come outta retirement ! From the list posted, I already know I can hang ( already beat ) some of those guys and I ain't scared lol. BTW Jam, the offer still stands you and Keith going out with me on my boat. Doing a few more trips to the islands to party and Rock in the fall. Lmk, yall welcome anytime ! !
That would be GREAT! Thank you.

Keith's in a tournament on Saturday at QuBall1 on Central Avenue. One mile from Exit 15 on the Beltway. Love this pool room!

Old
  (#93)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

09-14-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post
Glad you like them, Jen, and yes, Jenny Gale is now Jennifer Duncan, and I've seen Zarou out at Triple Nines once in a while.

Mickey McGuire (AKA Peaches, "Dr. Hemingway", and a bunch of other names) was a real mensch and a real character. I once bought a lot of sports books from an old sportswriter at the Post, and since he went back a long ways, I asked him if he'd ever heard of a Mickey McGuire. Did he ever---he spent 15 minutes telling me stories about how Mickey once got caught with a fistfull of betting slips, but kept his mouth shut and spent a year in jail for his silence. A standup guy and maybe the most universally beloved member of the Washington pool community I've ever known.

And that REALLY old guy, Johnnie Priest, was a sociable billiards player at the old Brunswick Billiards at 14th & Irving before the 1968 riots, who then migrated up to Randolph Hills after that. When he first told me he'd played for the Yankees, which were called the Highlanders before World War I, I didn't believe him, but then I found an old baseball guide and there he was in two team pictures. Sweetest man you'd ever meet. I made copies of those pictures for him and he showed them around to anyone else who hadn't believed him.

Randolph Hills was a great little room back then, with Gumphrey and Geese the best of the lot, but of course back then there were good little action rooms all over the Washington area. It wasn't just Beenie's, Guys & Dolls, Bladensburg and 7th & T.
I remember the owner of Randolph Hills had a swimming pool for race horses, and Geese would find out the name of the horse swimming that week and then go bet them at the track.

I ran the Miller Lite pool league out of Dietle's, a one-table bar. I drummed up a lot of business for this event. One morning, the TV show "PM Magazine" came, at my request, to advertise the event. They came in the morning when the place was dead. The producer asked the guys at the bar if they could come stand around the pool table to make it look crowded, and most of them were skipping work and didn't want to be seen on TV.

I was hung over, big time, when I arrived, from the night before. I didn't have time to put makeup on. I remember going in the bathroom and rubbing the blue pool chalk on my eyelids for eye shadow.

Chester Morris came, at my request from Randolph Hills, and put on a trick shot show for "PM Magazine." That was pretty cool.

The night of the event, Dietle's got so crowded. There must have been 300 people in that one-table bar. The owner, Hank, used to let me run a tab, and it was well over $100. The next morning, after the event, Hank came up to me and ripped up my tab. Apparently, in the history of Hank Dietle's, it was the most money he ever made in one night from that pool event.

Those were the days!

Old
  (#94)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

09-14-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
That would be GREAT! Thank you.

Keith's in a tournament on Saturday at QuBall1 on Central Avenue. One mile from Exit 15 on the Beltway. Love this pool room!
Is that the poolhall with the absurdly small pockets on the 1 pocket table. Small to the point where you dont even think about shooting a ball from behind the headstring?

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#95)
JAM
On the Hill

09-14-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post
Is that the poolhall with the absurdly small pockets on the 1 pocket table. Small to the point where you dont even think about shooting a ball from behind the headstring?
Yikes! I'm not sure. I will find out, though.

You should come. https://www.quball1.com/

Really nice pool room. People are cool, real pool peeps. This is a player's pool room, not a bar or social club. It's where people can reall concentrate on pool. Aren't too many rooms like this around anymore.

Old
  (#96)
gesan
AzB Silver Member
gesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 875

09-14-2017, 09:01 AM

Do any of the posters of this glimpse into the local poolroom past know if either of the "Gumps" or Chester Morris perhaps, also made and sold cue sticks?

Thanks in advance for any info and for sharing your recollections and pics of so many of the charectors that made the game so fascinating back in the day in the dc area

Great thread!

Old
  (#97)
JAM
On the Hill

09-14-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesan View Post
Do any of the posters of this glimpse into the local poolroom past know if either of the "Gumps" or Chester Morris perhaps, also made and sold cue sticks?

Thanks in advance for any info and for sharing your recollections and pics of so many of the charectors that made the game so fascinating back in the day in the dc area

Great thread!
Chet Morris definitely sold cue sticks out of the trunk of his car. I bought a couple from him. The Sneaky Pete that I bought was the best-hitting cue I ever had. I sold it when I went broke one time. Wish I never had.

Old
  (#98)
Taxi
AzB Bronze Member
Taxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond repute

09-14-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesan View Post

Great thread!
I don't think that either Steve or Bobby ever made cues, but Chester did, out of his basement near White Oak. The name of his business was the rather sublime "Chet's Custom Cue Co." You'd never mistake his cues for a Balabushka or a Black Boar, but I bought a wrapless 19 oz. cue from him once that lasted me for several years.

Old
  (#99)
Black-Balled
Look Everythings Spinning
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreMoney View Post
Are you talking about Cliff Maclin and his wife Sandy - owners of guy and dolls in Bladensburg as well as J& J in Glen Burnie ? As far as your story - sounds about right lolol!
No, different cliff. There were 2, father and son...and they are very big.

They used to love to tell the story of them going to all you can eat buffet and after 1e3442 plates, management bringing them their entry fee back an saying, 'it's all you can eat, non can you eat it all.

Not sure what the difference is, but they were huge men.

Two thirds from the top,
Another third for roads and cops.
Don't kid yourself that it's ever gonna stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#100)
Black-Balled
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
I have been meaning to check out Hi - Cue in Virginia. Paul Oh and some others have mentioned it . Looks nice and may have a little action. Not sure about the bar scene there?

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I heard it closed.

It was always a dump.

Two thirds from the top,

Quote:
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#101)
Kid Dynomite
Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Kid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
I heard it closed.

It was always a dump.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00001891402969

Moved to a new location and upgraded!

Kd
Attached Images

Like a Samurai you are only as good as your weapon!
A.K.A. = Dennis (Michael) Wilson Jr.

Old
  (#102)
tonyboy59
tonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Check your PMs...

Old
  (#103)
Black-Balled

09-15-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyboy59 View Post
Check your PMs...
I did.
Anybody else?

Two thirds from the top,

Quote:

Old
  (#104)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00001891402969

Moved to a new location and upgraded!

Kd
The snooker tables look like they have directional nap.
The brush should only travel straight to the end rail...from the balk rail to the seven spot end.
There will still be nap roll....but the read on it will be consistent.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

Old
  (#105)
tonyboy59
tonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond reputetonyboy59 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-15-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
I did.
Anybody else?
Let me re-state that for the owner of the thread (JAM)...check your PMs

Page 7 of 8 « First 567 8

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: