Can Other Tables Play Great?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I only know the the Brunswick commercial quality tables like the Gold Crown, Centennial and Anniversary, Diamond tables can be made to play world class. Do the other makers have the potential to be great playing tables? Tables like Peter Vitalle, Olhausen, Golden West, Connelly, World of Leisure, C. L. Bailey, Schmidt, Charles Porter, etc. etc. Seems all the serious pool players only want Brunswick commercial tables or Diamonds. And the serious mechanics only talk about working on those. ???
I ask this because my son's wife does not like the looks of the four tables I mentioned in the first sentence so we've go to find a "farm house style" to match the decor. Is it possible to find one that looks like that and make it play great?

Last edited:

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only know the the Brunswick commercial quality tables like the Gold Crown, Centennial and Anniversary, Diamond tables can be made to play world class. Do the other makers have the potential to be great playing tables? Tables like Peter Vitalle, Olhausen, Golden West, Connelly, World of Leisure, C. L. Bailey, Schmidt, Charles Porter, etc. etc. Seems all the serious pool players only want Brunswick commercial tables or Diamonds. And the serious mechanics only talk about working on those. ???
I ask this because my son's wife does not like the looks of the four tables I mentioned in the first sentence so we've go to find a "farm house style" to match the decor. Is it possible to find one that looks like that and make it play great?

I for one would also love to hear informed, unbiased opinions on this topic myself. It only makes sense to me that if you started with a sturdy, well designed base frame and added high quality slate then it should just be a matter of railwork to get the table playing great. If that wouldn't work I wish someone would explain to me why not. Several of the tables you mention have the basic elements I mention: Connelly, Olhausen and Golden West come to mind. And have you ever looked at the base frame on a lowly A.E. Schmidt Hamilton? Who else still dowels the frame elements together these days? Yet in spite of the fact that old GCs often don't even have real slate and in the case of the III or IV (I forget which) are often prone to frame end sag, they are still held up to be the gold standard. I'm sure they're good, but is everything else really junk? You'd sure think so by most opinions here. And not everybody loves the looks of a Diamond or can play up to the level needed to get the most from one. Nor can everybody afford one.

I've put the pencil to it and I'd guess that if you were lucky enough to find a non-frankentable GC you'd have close to 4 grand in it by the time you got it home and up and running. And that's if you can find one to start with. They're getting scarcer. Yet many of the tables you mention are going begging for 500-600 bucks. So maybe you spend 1500-2000 to get the rails and pockets right. Do the math! Why wouldn't this work?

I don't mean to sound like I'm stating facts as much as theorizing. But I'd sure like for someone to set me straight if I'm wrong.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Other than a pocket rattle, like olhausen
What does it mean a great playing to able?

Seriously I'm asking
, goldcrowns raised castings ding your nice cues,other than that and they don't spit balls from the pockets,
What makes a great playing table

Why are so many concerned with it,do the angles off the rails play drastically different? Or is it only slightly different and this is what people don't like?
because they expect something to go like this or. That?
Not that pool even relies on rail play near as much as carom

How many of us are going to be pro level players that can actually tell something is off that really need a GREAT playing table

I always thought it was up to the player
To play great

Last edited:

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than a pocket rattle, like olhausen
What does it mean a great playing to able?

Seriously I'm asking
, goldcrowns raised castings ding your nice cues,other than that and they don't spit balls from the pockets,
What makes a great playing table

Why are so many concerned with it,do the angles off the rails play drastically different? Or is it only slightly different and this is what people don't like?
because they expect something to go like this or. That?

How many of us are going to be provided players that can actually tell something is off that really need a GREAT playing table

I always thought it was up to the player
To play great

Not everyone who owns an Olhausen is even aware of the so-called "pocket rattle", and if one's game is that critical it appears to be a fairly easy fix. Think about it: if Olhausen tables were all unplayable would they continue to sell more tables than any other American manufacturer? I suspect they're a victim here of the GC/Diamond prejudice mentioned by the OP. I think a lot more people have read about it here and have subsequently jumped aboard the hate train than have actually experienced it.

It occurs to me that pool tables are a lot like major league ballparks. Sure, some of the characteristics are specified but not by any stretch are all variables spelled out and cast in stone. In both cases good players seem to adapt.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Not everyone who owns an Olhausen is even aware of the so-called "pocket rattle", and if one's game is that critical it appears to be a fairly easy fix. Think about it: if Olhausen tables were all unplayable would they continue to sell more tables than any other American manufacturer? I suspect they're a victim here of the GC/Diamond prejudice mentioned by the OP. I think a lot more people have read about it here and have subsequently jumped aboard the hate train than have actually experienced it.

It occurs to me that pool tables are a lot like major league ballparks. Sure, some of the characteristics are specified but not by any stretch are all variables spelled out and cast in stone. In both cases good players seem to adapt.

Could it be it's because these other tables come with 6" corner gouges and if you ask for something different, the manufactures/ furniture dealers just stare at you. . I think we need RKC or other mechanics to chime in and tell us why these other tables are not great, or can not be made to be great. A lot of us would love to know.

Last edited:

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could it be it's because these other tables come with 6" corner gouges and if you ask for something different, the manufactures/ furniture dealers just stare at you. . I think we need RKC or other mechanics to chime in and tell us why these other tables are not great, or can not be made to be great. A lot of us would love to know.

Denwhit I sincerely hope we get RKC or someone else in his general range (I' not sure there in fact exists his equal) to take this seriously and comment on it. But I'll tell you that I kinda doubt it's gonna happen. My experience on Internet forums is that the quickest way to hear the sound of crickets is to attempt to inject logic and reason into a topic that most have preformed opinions and prejudices regarding.

Maybe if it had been posted on "Talk to a Mechanic" it would have drawn more attention. Would it be worth reposting there? I'd cut and paste my thoughts in the thread. I really think it merits serious discussion.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Denwhit I sincerely hope we get RKC or someone else in his general range (I' not sure there in fact exists his equal) to take this seriously and comment on it. But I'll tell you that I kinda doubt it's gonna happen. My experience on Internet forums is that the quickest way to hear the sound of crickets is to attempt to inject logic and reason into a topic that most have preformed opinions and prejudices regarding.

Maybe if it had been posted on "Talk to a Mechanic" it would have drawn more attention. Would it be worth reposting there? I'd cut and paste my thoughts in the thread. I really think it merits serious discussion.

Great Idea and I'll do just that. My apologies for the dual threads and I'm sure I'll catch hell. Hope you guys will cut and paste your responses so we can get some action. It's a subject I've been wondering about for a long time.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

Your saying olhausen outsells diamond?
Had no idea
But yes I did own a olhausen and experienced he pocket rattle, what's the easy fix? Pay someone that hopefully knows what they're doing a few hundred to redo the rails?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Not everyone who owns an Olhausen is even aware of the so-called "pocket rattle".
If one's game is that critical it appears to be a fairly easy fix.
Think about it: if Olhausen tables were all unplayable why would they continue to sell more tables than any other American manufacturer?

Easy Fix? Please tell us. That's why we are reading this thread.

Olhausen continues to sell tables because most people (including most game room salespeople) do not know anything about pool tables, except how the outside looks.
Even Brunswick Gold Crowns have inconsistent pockets, ask RKC.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have posted a fund site for RKC and you can find the full write up in the main forum and in the NPR. Glen had a motorcycle accident and will not be able to continue his livelihood for a few months. He does not have medical insurance and he needs MRIs and a knee operation.
Please donate to https://myevent.com/RKC