Dr Dave’s Reaction Video(racking/breaking controversy)

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First and foremost this has nothing to do with the actual controversy.

I finally watched the short video after YouTube kept recommending it and I want to say how much useful knowledge and information is in that video!!!

I have to thank Dr. Dave even if he had separate intentions on creating the video because after watching it I learned a few extremely important aspects about racking and more so how to increase your odds at successfully breaking especially making the wingball and obtaining reasonable shape. In the video he has links to other videos he’s creating on similar subjects with more intricacies and details.

Basically I strongly suggest every 9 ball watch the video!!!! Thanks again DrDave

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I cant ever get the wing ball to go on my table no matter what angle I break from. It always lands above the pocket. I do not consistently pocket balls on the break. Very frustrating.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Have you tried adjusting the speed of your break shot?

I assume you have checked the balls for gaps.

I cant ever get the wing ball to go on my table no matter what angle I break from. It always lands above the pocket. I do not consistently pocket balls on the break. Very frustrating.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Have you tried to draw and/or follow a little? Or cut the 1 slightly in different positions?

It took me a while to figure it out on my table, too. Now I consistently make the wing ball and in about 30% of my tries I can also make the 1 in the side. However, if I try to make both my scratch rate also goes up slightly.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I cant ever get the wing ball to go on my table no matter what angle I break from. It always lands above the pocket.
Are you racking with the 9 on the spot instead of the 1? Are you sure the rack is aligned properly (not rotated of the long string of the table)? The wing ball should not go above the pocket unless there are poorly placed gaps in the rack.

Regards,
Dave

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Brush your cloth, check your rack, 10 to 1 the balls are settling in holes and are leaving gaps.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brush your cloth, check your rack, 10 to 1 the balls are settling in holes and are leaving gaps.
CGM,

Try a racking template. That will provide many answers. If you don't have a commercially available template, you can print a free one from the bottom of the page here:

How to Get a Tight Rack

Let us know what happens with a tight rack.

Good luck,
Dave