why dont pool instructors teach a snooker stance ???

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
low 500
i dont thinl how someone plays has anything to do with how they teach
vince lombardi/bill belichek/bill harmin/peter luthri (federer's coach) etc
the sports world is full of great coaches who were not superlative players
jmho

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Truly amazing that some pool players must think our pool instructors MUST be able to win world championships right now! But some nimrods do! Lets see how Butch Harmon (voted the best instructor in golf) can beat the world's number one player; Dustin Johnson (Butch's student). That would be funny. Butch probably couldn't break 90 but that does not hurt his any of his teaching ability. Most of the greatest golf teachers do NOT even play the game in order to discourage this kind of BS. Pool teachers should do the same thing.

Very true. More often than not, the greatest teachers were never the greatest students, and the best coaches were never the best players. This applies to everything from academics to sports to life itself. The ability to teach is an entirely separate skill, independent of a person's ability to perform. Some of the greatest minds, greatest sports figures, greatest whatever, make for lousy teachers. Having an impressive portfolio of achievements that prove how well you can do something is simply irrelevant when it comes to whether or not you can teach.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I, myself, do not have much confidence in what I see from most pool instructors. But to refer to them as "idiots" is over the top, my man.
They're not idiots.
Some are, true enough, so full of themselves (especially the fat bellied ones) that they border on the absurd and I think their prices are way out of line for what they provide. However, nobody forces a buyer to buy anything. That is an individual decision.
But for beginners, intermediates, and those who are stuck at a plateau they do provide a useful purpose. There is no question, in my mind, that the video taping alone can furnish very valuable information for study.
I agree with you about the Brit snooker players being so deadly accurate. Everyone, however, especially if they're tall, just cannot physically bend over that far without spreading the legs very wide to help out. That spreading of the legs can result in unknowingly throwing the shooter off the shot line. Again, the video taping would reveal anything of that nature.
My big beef with most instructors is I never see them in action for the cash..be it matching up gambling or in contests. To me, that is the true test of the nerves and practicing what they preach. And I don't like the prices overall.
I think Bob Jewett is an exception to that. I've seen him at work when the prize money was at stake and he doesn't fool around or blow smoke. He can "drill you" and send an opponent home broke and whining.
To say SVB "has a terrible stroke" is ridiculous..no need in even going there.
Bottom line: "Idiots" is a strong word. (in my opinion)
Stay happy.

I recommend some metrics for testing a pool teacher or coach:

1. how fast do their students improve?
2. how much do they improve?
3. do they "feel good for a day" or is lasting change enacted?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I recommend some metrics for testing a pool teacher or coach:

1. how fast do their students improve?
2. how much do they improve?
3. do they "feel good for a day" or is lasting change enacted?

Excellent assessment questions. I could care less about an instructor's personal achievements or bragging rights. It all boils down to whether or not he or she is an effective teacher.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just can't buy into the idea of paying money to somebody to teach how to compete if they don't have or haven't had the guts to get up in front of strangers and compete themselves. Even if they lose...which is better than sitting in some so-called 'sacred position of honor' and preaching about what someone ought to do. For crying out loud, I can do that....right here on the computer. :smile::smile:
Stay happy.

Well that's your problem right there. I thought pool instructors were teaching their students primarily how to play pool. You are talking about competition, which is a different thing.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well that's your problem right there. I thought pool instructors were teaching their students primarily how to play pool. You are talking about competition, which is a different thing.

dan thanks for getting alittle closer to the thread

which is
why not teach the snooker stance ?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two best players i've ever seen in person are Buddy and Efren. Neither one stood like those limey snooker players. Neither did: Mosconi, Earl(squats big-time), Sigel, Hopkins and on and on. As long as you can deliver the tip accurately who gives a rat's a^* how you do it.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a huge difference between starting out with a snooker stance and modifying it for pool, and starting out with a pool stance (whatever that even is) and sprinkling in some snooker.

I'll take starting with the snooker stance every time. There's several reasons for this, but for me the biggest one is what I call, or think of as -- channel cueing versus floppy cueing. A typical pool player just has their cue out there flopping in the wind. The only thing that locks these cues into a straight line is the power of repetiton. Whereas with snooker, the player create more of a channel that their cue must stay in. So these players develop a much straighter stroke, much earlier in their development than pool players. Or at least that's my theory.

To illustrate this contrast take a look at the picture of Mark Wilson on the cover of his instructional book and then look at any snooker player.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Truly amazing that some pool players must think our pool instructors MUST be able to win world championships right now! But some nimrods do! Lets see how Butch Harmon (voted the best instructor in golf) can beat the world's number one player; Dustin Johnson (Butch's student). That would be funny. Butch probably couldn't break 90 but that does not hurt his any of his teaching ability. Most of the greatest golf teachers do NOT even play the game in order to discourage this kind of BS. Pool teachers should do the same thing.
Vivid example that emphasizes your point: Pavarotti had the same voice coach for 35 years, right up until Pavarotti's career ended -- and Pavarotti had the money to afford any coach in the world. His lifetime coach was never more than a very average operatic tenor, with few natural gifts, but knew more about tenors' production of notes (and about dramatically/sensitively performing the arias) than just about anyone, anywhere.

As with the coaching of any discipline, a superb coach or instructor consistently notices things that other people would miss . . . and has the ability to perfectly communicate recommended tweaks and to somehow illustrate the means of making even radical changes to his/her client's performing abilities.

Arnaldo

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post arnaldo...and absolutely spot on! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Vivid example that emphasizes your point: Pavarotti had the same voice coach for 35 years, right up until Pavarotti's career ended -- and Pavarotti had the money to afford any coach in the world. His lifetime coach was never more than a very average operatic tenor, with few natural gifts, but knew more about tenors' production of notes (and about dramatically/sensitively performing the arias) than just about anyone, anywhere.

As with the coaching of any discipline, a superb coach or instructor consistently notices things that other people would miss . . . and has the ability to perfectly communicate recommended tweaks and to somehow illustrate the means of making even radical changes to his/her client's performing abilities.

Arnaldo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Arnaldo

Excellent post by Arnaldo, as always.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
The two best players i've ever seen in person are Buddy and Efren. Neither one stood like those limey snooker players. Neither did: Mosconi, Earl(squats big-time), Sigel, Hopkins and on and on. As long as you can deliver the tip accurately who gives a rat's a^* how you do it.

Agreed--with the caveat that for a struggling amateur or a developing player, a good coach can give them more basic fundamentals, closer to the norm--to improve their game fast!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I absolutely agree with you on those points.....for struggling amateurs or developing players.
Otherwise, except for Bob Jewett or Stan Shuffett, other 'instructors' with their overpriced stuff can just stay at home in my opinion. (with my limited knowledge of the pool world, they're the only ones I'd pay). Robin Bell used to be pretty good at transferring knowledge also..many years ago. "Bankroll" was always good to ask about stuff and she always gave sound, controlled, answers.
:thumbup:

You're right, your knowledge is limited. :smile:

Take a free lesson from me, why don'cha?!

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Arnaldo

Exactly. Great post.