cues with ivory

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have searched but can't find a simple answer for my questions. If you have a cue with ivory in it can you legally mail it in the USA. Also, how about bringing it with you on a checked bag when flying in the USA, is this legal or not. I am thinking of ordering a cue and not sure if I want ivory in it or not for those reasons.

Thanks,
Tom Harris

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current laws may allow you to ship the cue or fly with it within the USA but it will not be long until those activities cease as well due to new legislation. Safe bet is to go Ivory and Rosewood free for a cue you want to use while traveling.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current laws may allow you to ship the cue or fly with it within the USA but it will not be long until those activities cease as well due to new legislation. Safe bet is to go Ivory and Rosewood free for a cue you want to use while traveling.

I don't see new legislation or enforcement under Trump. 3 and 1/2 years from now, all bets are off if he loses.

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.cites.org/ Search for: IVORY, ROSEWOOD and DALBERGIA For the record, something like Cocobolo is known as Dalbergia Retusa. African Blackwood is known as Dalbergia melanoxylon. You will also see the term Dalbergia spp. which sort of means "any OTHER species of dalbergia NOT known by a more specific name"

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory

Some states have adopted tougher Ivory laws: New York, California, Pennsylvania, New Jersey. Basically no shipping in or out or interstate transport. This is the quick summary :)
not to be use as the letter of the law.

Mario

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have searched but can't find a simple answer for my questions. If you have a cue with ivory in it can you legally mail it in the USA. Also, how about bringing it with you on a checked bag when flying in the USA, is this legal or not. I am thinking of ordering a cue and not sure if I want ivory in it or not for those reasons.

Thanks,
Tom Harris

I have an earlier Aubrick Cue, and I too was wondering if the cue maker uses pure ivory in his cues.