OB Classic + shaft

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally got the plus shaft in hand after some delays. All I can say is WOW.
Hits like a solid shaft, and moves the ball well. Im using the piloted 5/16 14 on a Schon butt, and it hits every bit as solid as a Schon shaft. Not quite as hard do to the softer ferrule, but there is no hollowness to this shaft like there is with Predator.
Squirt wise, its far less than a 314 IMO. I didnt do any type of measurments, just going off of observations of shooting a lot of balls with a 314 shaft. I bought a used older style OB classic a while back to be used as a backup, and it squirts a bit more than 314, so whatever OB did to reengineer the front end worked and worked well on the Plus shafts. I can force the old OB classic and the 314 to squirt, I couldnt make the Classic + squirt more than about 1/4-1/2" on table length shots with spin. It has a really pulled back taper, without measuring it I would guess 15-16 inches, yet its not whippy.
If you like the LD shafts, and want something that offers Z shaft similar squirt in a 12.75mm tip size I highly reccomend this shaft.
So thanks to Royce and team for a great made in the US LD shaft!
Chuck

d.sommers

VNEA member
Silver Member
I can second Chuck's review. I've got the same setup and came to the same conclusion. Nice work OB!

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally got the plus shaft in hand after some delays. All I can say is WOW.
Hits like a solid shaft, and moves the ball well. Im using the piloted 5/16 14 on a Schon butt, and it hits every bit as solid as a Schon shaft. Not quite as hard do to the softer ferrule, but there is no hollowness to this shaft like there is with Predator.
Squirt wise, its far less than a 314 IMO. I didnt do any type of measurments, just going off of observations of shooting a lot of balls with a 314 shaft. I bought a used older style OB classic a while back to be used as a backup, and it squirts a bit more than 314, so whatever OB did to reengineer the front end worked and worked well on the Plus shafts. I can force the old OB classic and the 314 to squirt, I couldnt make the Classic + squirt more than about 1/4-1/2" on table length shots with spin. It has a really pulled back taper, without measuring it I would guess 15-16 inches, yet its not whippy.
If you like the LD shafts, and want something that offers Z shaft similar squirt in a 12.75mm tip size I highly reccomend this shaft.
So thanks to Royce and team for a great made in the US LD shaft!
Chuck

Two years later and countless dollars short, but I absolutely second Chuck's motion! I've been playing with Schon butt and OB Classic + for about two months now, and I'm blown away by how well this combination plays. Wonderful accuracy, a crisp and responsive hit, and effortless power and spin!

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two years later and countless dollars short, but I absolutely second Chuck's motion! I've been playing with Schon butt and OB Classic + for about two months now, and I'm blown away by how well this combination plays. Wonderful accuracy, a crisp and responsive hit, and effortless power and spin!

I have a OB Classic Plus and a OB Pro. I love them both. I just recently got the Pro though. But I do really love the feel.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using an OB 2 plus, with a maple ferrule, on a Joss butt. Mine is one of a kind though. I just couldn't get used to it no matter how much I worked with it. I finally realized that it was the taper that I didn't like as it has a conical taper. I had the taper lengthened and take down to a pro taper and had a Morakami soft put on it and it is working for me like a dream now. I probably have the only $400 Ob shaft around. LOL.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just received one and hit a few balls with my Schon. It felt great. I recently hurt my wrist and have to rest but I can't wait until I give it a full workout.

Ahgao86

Registered
I have a OB Classic Plus and a OB Pro. I love them both. I just recently got the Pro though. But I do really love the feel.

Hi there, can you share in your opinion the difference in the 2 shafts? Which one do you prefer and why? I'm contemplating to get either the Classic or the pro but I can't decide. Thanks in advance!

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there, can you share in your opinion the difference in the 2 shafts? Which one do you prefer and why? I'm contemplating to get either the Classic or the pro but I can't decide. Thanks in advance!

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but there is a difference between these two shafts most notably being that the classic is at a 12.75 tip and the pro is at an 11. 75 tip.

Would anyone be able to compare the OB+Classic to the OB+1 shafts? I'm about to purchase an OB cue and am going back and forth as to which one of these shafts should get. I want a 12.75 tip shaft regardless. Thank you!

Ahgao86

Registered
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but there is a difference between these two shafts most notably being that the classic is at a 12.75 tip and the pro is at an 11. 75 tip.

Would anyone be able to compare the OB+Classic to the OB+1 shafts? I'm about to purchase an OB cue and am going back and forth as to which one of these shafts should get. I want a 12.75 tip shaft regardless. Thank you!

Yes actually I know the tip size and taper is different. Was just wondering what's the difference when playing. I'm torn between these 2. From what I understand, the OB+1 has a softer and more muted hit.

Sporto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have both an OB+ 1 shaft and an OB+ Classic shaft for my OB1 cue. They are both tipped with the OEM Tiger Everest tips. The OB+ Classic is my favorite of the two due to the crispness of the hit and I like the traditional white Ferule. The OB+ Classic plays almost identical to my 314-2.

Jerry Rathman

Registered
I just picked up a OB-122 with a Classic + shaft. I love it. I'd like to try a harder tip on it because I like the sound and feedback (at least perceived) of a harder tip, but I am very impressed with the hit and the extremely low deflection of this shaft.
I have tried MANY LD shafts and always went back to a solid maple because I couldn't stand the vague feel of most LD shafts, but this one is different. For the last couple years I've been playing with a 12.5mm Meucci Pro and this shaft is giving me almost the same feel with less deflection.