CM360 Referencing System

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a very old rough draft video that I put together long ago to illustrate some of CM360 reference system concepts that I show and taugh some of my friends and players. The system was created with the objective to provide a simple set of reliable aiming reference lines to help cut your learning curve on how to effectively improve your aiming. It's a very simple process but once you apply it along with other process such visualization....you'll be amazed how consistent you can get. This system is very effective in helping players (Generally D to C+) to move up the rank quickly to B+ level especially if they already have a decent stroke. The concept of reliable dynamic reference lines seem to be more effective than ghost ball system as the brain has less information to process especially if you trying to aim at an empty point in space. Similar to playing position using the rail instead of picking a specific spot on the table. Having said that I found that generally A+ players didn't find the system to be helpful to them as they're already develop a consistent process that allow them to pocket well. The system was more helpful to a lot of lower handicap players because they now can rely on these simple reference lines to correct their mistake and understand why they're missing. They're also better now at seeing the aim lines required to pocket the ball but the key here is that the reference lines help them further develop their stroke. When you're guessing at the same shot over and over, it hard to be consistent...but now if you have a reliable reference for your aim line....you subsconcious will be developed faster and soon you won't have to aim...you just go down and shoot as your mind should have already known where to aim. Usually I would ask player to spent some time shooting straight shots, stroke drills with just cue ball before applying my referening aiming concept. The second module focuses on visualization, utilizing tanget and the clock system for a complete reference guide to improving your game.

Check it out and let me know what you guys think...I came up with this system after the late Ron V taught me his pivoting system which I would highly recommend everyone to have a serious look at his system. Most of the system presented on AZ works (I still use some of ron system as well as others on selective shots that works for me)...you just have to work hard at your stroke. If you don't have a decent stroke...a perfect system can't help you if you can't hit the target.

SEE System, Ron V 90/90, TOI, CTE etc...are all good systems....you need to try them all and take what useful to you in your game. You'll find also that as your game improve, other systems may starts to make more sense to help you advance your game further. As you get better, it good to engage with a mentor (generally someone much better than you) to help you evaluate your game along with assessing area of improvements. If you're in New York area...I would highly recommend taking lesson from Earl Strickland, Zion Zvi and Tony Robles.

Last edited:

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny, the first time I saw the SEE system demo I thought the exact same thing so I decided to reach out to Ekkes. After showing Ekkes my system and going through his, I realize that Ekkes has a very comprehensive system that focus not just on aiming but the complete process before you even get down on the table. I would highly recommend anyone to check out his system, it a very unique approach that have been used successfully by a lot of players to improve their game. You'll see some of the differences when you go through his system.

Duc.

isnt your shadows similar to the see system??

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's funny, the first time I saw the SEE system demo I thought the exact same thing so I decided to reach out to Ekkes. After showing Ekkes my system and going through his, I realize that Ekkes has a very comprehensive system that focus not just on aiming but the complete process before you even get down on the table. I would highly recommend anyone to check out his system, it a very unique approach that have been used successfully by a lot of players to improve their game. You'll see some of the differences when you go through his system.

Duc.

duc
since you are the creator of cm360
and are familiar with see system
could you explain the differences??
pm is ok
thanks

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the way dynamic reference lines are determine start with the shadow on the cue ball on the see system. If you want to know more please reach out to Ekkes, I have not look system in years. Am going to buy Ron 90/90 from a friend and will start reviewing it again as I told Ron but never had the chance to review it for him.

The video I posted on my system wasn't for general public but I thought originally it would help people understand the underlying reason why system are created and how they can improve your game. What I can say is that my system make a lot of assumptions that may and may not be right. Eg. That you have good basic fundamentals eg. Bridge, stance, stroke. Normal lighting condition, etc.

Anyway, I saw a thread that talked about a similar concept so decided to post my system to see if what I had years ago is what they were trying to get at. Haven't posted here in years and with the nasty response I got from the op make my wonder why I even try to help. Seriously, we have some mental cases on Az. Lol Oh well, take what you can from this video but am done sharing on Az.

duc
since you are the creator of cm360
and are familiar with see system
could you explain the differences??
pm is ok
thanks

Last edited:

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Intersects the OB??

Using other words, could you clarify the term "...where the shadow INTERSECTS the object ball". I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the idea you are trying to communicate in your video.

Cheers

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using other words, could you clarify the term "...where the shadow INTERSECTS the object ball". I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the idea you are trying to communicate in your video.

Cheers

If you follow the outer edge of the ball from the side down, there`s a point where the shadow and the edge of the ball meet.

It forms a sort of sideways V. I guess you want to be aiming at the point of that V.

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's correct... But important to note the preception changes as you get down on the shot and the alignment requires you to be behind the center of cue ball. The aim line is center of tip to center of cue ball to this dynamic reference point from any natural lines. Important to note that everyone perception and stroke is different so you need to make adjust if you tend to shoot more to the left or right of your target. There are tons of drill that can help you straighten your stroke... If you want to improve you need to improve your stroke first. Understanding your stroke habit is key here and the only way you'll be able to know is to shoot straight in shot for week or two. Straight in shot drill will tell you everything u need to know about your stroke habit. If you can video yourself...even better. The key is to keep track of movement of your cueball after each shot... You'll need to test this will varying distant as well. Have fun and good luck.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's correct... But important to note the preception changes as you get down on the shot and the alignment requires you to be behind the center of cue ball. The aim line is center of tip to center of cue ball to this dynamic reference point from any natural lines. Important to note that everyone perception and stroke is different so you need to make adjust if you tend to shoot more to the left or right of your target. There are tons of drill that can help you straighten your stroke... If you want to improve you need to improve your stroke first. Understanding your stroke habit is key here and the only way you'll be able to know is to shoot straight in shot for week or two. Straight in shot drill will tell you everything u need to know about your stroke habit. If you can video yourself...even better. The key is to keep track of movement of your cueball after each shot... You'll need to test this will varying distant as well. Have fun and good luck.

duc
thanks for sharing your system
you shooty pretty sporty firing those shots in like lasers...:thumbup:
since the perception changes when down on the shot
are you aiming at the point you aligned to standing up or the newly perceived spot when down on the shot??

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
duc
are you aiming at the point you aligned to standing up or the newly perceived spot when down on the shot??

Good question.

John

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, its the same dynamic reference point when you're down on the shot.

duc

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Concept still not clear

I'm still not sure about what you mean, when you say "...where the shadow intersects the ball". My (9) foot table has (4) lights and I can see (3) shadows beneath the OB.
Are you talking about the darkest shadow, like in the SEE System?

Because the camera is behind you, your body prevents the viewer from seeing where you are pointing on the table, when you turn to explain and point out the intersecting point.

You agreed with "Tony the tiger"s" follow up posting about where the drop line from the edge of the OB and OB shadow intersection. I look upon the drop line from the edge of the OB as a constant.
You can visualize where the drop line meets the table with or without noticing the OB shadow. Even without an OB shadow, the OB edge drop line position remains the same.

Sorry to be a bother, but with your video and choice of terms, the concept is still not clear.
Could you restate the concept a bit more clearly. I'm still not understanding what part the OB shadow plays in your aiming system.

Cheers mate

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still not sure about what you mean, when you say "...where the shadow intersects the ball". My (9) foot table has (4) lights and I can see (3) shadows beneath the OB.
Are you talking about the darkest shadow, like in the SEE System?

Because the camera is behind you, your body prevents the viewer from seeing where you are pointing on the table, when you turn to explain and point out the intersecting point.

You agreed with "Tony the tiger"s" follow up posting about where the drop line from the edge of the OB and OB shadow intersection. I look upon the drop line from the edge of the OB as a constant.
You can visualize where the drop line meets the table with or without noticing the OB shadow. Even without an OB shadow, the OB edge drop line position remains the same.

Sorry to be a bother, but with your video and choice of terms, the concept is still not clear.
Could you restate the concept a bit more clearly. I'm still not understanding what part the OB shadow plays in your aiming system.

Cheers mate

If you go thru the Gray Ghost Shadow thread Keebie shows you very clearly where the ">" shadow is on the OB.

Like Duc says, you must have good fundamentals to use this method. If you can't deliver the QB where you are looking this method could prove to be a challenge.

Nice video Duc. Appreciate your willingness to share.

John

Last edited:

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol...that's true for all systems even the ghost ball.

The thing I love about pool is that even if you knew all of the secrets of this game...you still got to execute. There is an unlimited random set of patterns for you to play with and you'll always be learning more with each game.

What ever system you decide to use even the HAMB process, it very important that you're able to develop your own visualization pattern. Visualization to me is a very important skill that can elevate your game but at the same time its a personal process that you must develop on your own as you get more information about the game.

When a good players is in the zone (dead stroke)....everything is easy...they have a very strong bond with the cue ball and this enhance mode is derived from having a solid visualization process (not sure if visualization is the right word...but essentially equate to confident in the shot before you even shoot it and when you shoot it...you can literally feel and see the ball contacting). It's hard to show someone how this can be done but am sure you guy may have experience it when you nail a shot perfectly.

Paul Thornley in Toronto is one my favorite pool player and someone that I highly respect and admire. One time, Paul told me he played so good that everything was like in slow motion...he was so focus that he can actually see the chalk flying off the object ball :)..Lol...am not at his level yet but hopefully one day....I will be able to say the same.

Good Shooting,
Duc.

If you go thru the Gray Ghost Shadow thread Keebie shows you very clearly where the ">" shadow is on the OB.

Like Duc says, you must have food fundamentals to use this method. If you can't deliver the QB where you are looking this method could prove to be a challenge.

Nice video Duc. Appreciate your willingness to share.

John

Last edited:

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simply ingenious

Cuemaster98,

I just wanted to thank you so much for posting your aiming system. I'll admit that it took me a little time to totally grasp
the concept you were presenting. But once I started to really
look at the ball shadow and it's relationship to the ball, the doors to "Valhalla" opened and I was allowed to play with the gods.

Again, thank you for posting your system, it's simply ingenious.

Cheers mate,

Bigskyblue

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad this system helped you progress in your game.
Here's something that I've posted on another thread...that I think will help improve your game even further if you can grasp the concept below:

Lol...what you have here is HAMB practitioner that developed his own visualization process through some long years of playing.....if you play long enough you'll realized that visual confirmation or feel is achieved with the eyes hence more focus is on the object ball (In rare case...you want the same focus on cue ball). When you're looking at the object ball sometime the connection you feel is much stronger if you can visualize your cue tip shooting not at the cue ball but at the object ball. This is a harder concept for some lower handicap players to understand but once I have them try to shoot a few shots where they are visualizing the cue tip is hitting the object ball (eg. If they are hitting 1 oclock on cue ball, they should visualize hitting 1 oclock on object ball)...they can experience it for themselves. Once you get the confirmation or connection established...you know your not going to miss the shoot

Having said that, it important to note that one of the goal of a good aiming system is to teach a player how to aim so that eventually they don't have to aim at all as everything should be instinctive. The other goal, I believe is to help a player established their own visualization process (feel or confirmation) which I believe can be learned much faster thought if the player employ any one of these aiming systems available today rather than through a trial and error process. I believe once you get to a certain level of play....aiming becomes irrelevant as it should already have been established in your subconscious how you aim no matter how you arrive at it (HAMB or system). I know at the higher level of play, confirmation is not about whether you're aiming correctly but whether you understand the shot you're about to take.

You may know all the secrets of the game but what I love is that you still have to execute it..:).

Cuemaster98,

I just wanted to thank you so much for posting your aiming system. I'll admit that it took me a little time to totally grasp
the concept you were presenting. But once I started to really
look at the ball shadow and it's relationship to the ball, the doors to "Valhalla" opened and I was allowed to play with the gods.

Again, thank you for posting your system, it's simply ingenious.

Cheers mate,

Bigskyblue

Last edited:

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an older video that I published in 2013 comparing a SW to a Bender... In this video I mentioned how a good playing cue can help a player achieve better visualization and feel because it provide additional cues that the player can rely on such sound or resonance of the cue providing additional feedback back to the player. As you can see in the video, I believe that a good aiming system help a player better gauge their line of aim to a point where it just become assimilated to your rhythm and pre-shot routine.

This video also illustrate what I mean by playing instinctively....as you practice..you use the reference system as a guide but once you're playing...you should trust and rely on your skills. I mean you don't see me technically aiming in this video...I'm just shooting and visualize my shots because I already know where each reference should be on every shots subconsciously. This is where you have to let it go and have fun with the game. Good Luck and good shooting with your game :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3A3qbOFVSk

Last edited:

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been getting some email from people inquiring about this system directly to me so I thought I would post some of the reply to address the common questions.

" I've been using your system and i really like it. in the video i think you say it is good for shots up 35-40 degrees. are there any other type of shots it's not good for. i was also wondering if you've ever played on a table where the lighting makes your system impossible. if you have any other tips or advice i'd really appreciate it."

Glad you found the system to be helpful. These aiming references are plainly just references that help you develop better feel for the shot. Once you have these aim lines ingrain in your subconscious you don't need the light for reference. Essentially, once you learn how to aim, you don't have to aim anymore.

The comment on 35 to 40 degrees was referencing the fact that the aim line and reference aim point based on the shadow intercepting the object ball work essentially for all angles between a straight shot and half ball shot.

The key element to this reference system come down to honing your ability to visualized the shot once you establish your reference aim line. This is probably the key to consistency...so you need to develop a good pattern on your own on how this will work for you as this process is a personal development step.

Eg.

Before you get down, you should have already established the type of aim required (1- Straight, 2 - Aiming Reference, 3 - Half-Ball, 4 - Cut Shot)

Next establish your stance around the reference aim line and step into that line.

Eye Pattern and Warm Up Stroke:

Cue ball, Object ball and Eye before execution should mostly (some shot require your focus on cue ball) be fixed on the object ball last. If lighting is good, your primary focus to help with visualization should be on the shadow reference aim point. Your warm up stroke will help you follow and visualize that line from the cue ball to the object ball. (this is where you establish your focus and should be able to feel if your shot is on or not).

Execution on your last warm up stroke - this is probably the hardest part of the process as your timing has to be good. The last back stroke and follow through is something you need to develop on your own but the basic concept is similar to pulling an arrow back slowly and then releasing. The pull back should be slow and consistent before releasing action with the elbow lock pattern.

Beyond learning aiming and just making the shot, you'll need to consider Tangent and Spin to decide on how to get shape to your next shot. Mostly I think 70% of your shots do not required any spins and you should play natural with the help of Tangent to get the shape you need. There are a lot of good videos to learn about tangent and spin effect. The best one that I've seen is from Little Joe @ http://www.pooliq.net/.

Hopefully, this will get you guys started on playing better pool.

Good Luck and have fun.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I watched the video. I've been using the shadows off & on for nearly 50 years, since I was about 14 years old.

What I found to be an issue is the transition were the center of the cue ball to the vertical line at the shadow point no longer works.

You only talked about using two alignments, center CB to the shadow & edge of CB to the shadow. I use Three(3). I also use the shadow line of the Cue Ball to the shadow line of the Object ball. That is very much like the equal & opposite overlap method but with the visual aids.

If you will note in the video demonstration that when you tried the more severe cuts by using the edge of the CB to the shadow line that you over cut several shots. Try using my 3rd. alignment, shadow to shadow.

The issue then becomes WHEN to make the transition from center of CB to Shadow of CB to edge of CB. Using the wrong one for a given shot will cause one to miss. That is because one is using a manual method that sort of takes out at least some of ones subconscious input. That is why I have flipped back & forth using it over the years.

Also, I would like to point out that in my 3rd alignment method one must have a rather low head position in order to align shadow line to shadow line properly.

It is a fairly good method & one that can certainly be used by even beginners to start to give them recognition & 'Feel" for all of the different cut shots... but like any system it too has some issues...but I really like it because the shadow line adjusts naturally by the use of light Relative to the balls position on the table as they change all over the table... or rather relative to the position of ones eye behind the cue ball & the OB's position on the table relative to the the light source.

Perhaps after you try the shadow to shadow alignment you can make a video about that alignment.

Good job with introducing this. It is a rather good very simple method except for the issue of when one should transition to the other alignments... but with experience & hitting "enough" shots the subconscious mind can make that determination with a rather high level of success... but not perfection... even after all of this time when I am playing with this manual alignment method doubt creeps in for some of those shots at the transition areas. When there is any doubt, that is when I abandon the method & just let my subconscious make the determination as to the line with no manual alignment of using the shadow(s). A very good player once told me no method makes all of the shots & that is why one needs more than one method. I think that may be a rather accurate statement.

Regards,
Rick

Last edited: