TAD KOHARA group shot

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some extremely rare one in this shot. Congratulations Ken. You always have the nuts.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful

What a beautiful collection of cues. Aside from his designs and inlays I would have to say he is second to know one in his Irish linen wraps. I have always been a leather wrap lover but Tads Linen wraps are right up there with leather.

asiasdad

Banned
What a beautiful collection of cues. Aside from his designs and inlays I would have to say he is second to know one in his Irish linen wraps. I have always been a leather wrap lover but Tads Linen wraps are right up there with leather.

Tads linen wraps are special indeed.

I really like the one on the far right the most.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

I agree with you. I think there are two cuemakers who can compete with the Koharas' when it comes to finishing linen wraps. One was Tim Scruggs, rest his soul. The other is Pete Tascarella.

All the best,
WW

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could someone elaborate more about what made the linen wraps by Tad or Scruggs different or what
they did to finish it other than pressing the wrap. Did either Tim or Tad have any linen preference, such
as Blue Mountain or Cortland versus just any linen wrap.

Perhaps Bob Frey or Nick Serdula will catch this post. Maybe they'll shed some light on my questions.
I previously wondered about trying a Japanese silk wrap for one of my cues but stayed with old reliable.
I've been saving the CL in the photo for a cue design that needed a brown with white speck wrap.

Unfortunately, the CA ivory ban (AB-96) curtailed my cue collecting so I never got to use this wrap.
Too bad because there's a NItti cue with a Southwestern theme using American Indian mosaic inlays .
I always craved that specific Nitti cue & this brown/white Cortland Linen wrap woulda been perfect.

Attachments

• Cortland Linen (10 lb).jpg
    Cortland Linen (10 lb).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,336

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken -

First off great group. The third from the left being my favorite of the group.

I have owned a few Tads, and the birdseye one was my player for a couple years. The shaft wood was just excellent.

You might not be the right guy but maybe some of the California folks might know.

1.) How did the 70's - 80's and 90's + cues compare.....did Tad make those elaborate ones in later years or he has for a lot of years?

2.) When I picked up my birds eye cue it was $1700-1800 range, and the fancier ones going up pretty quickly in price.....How was Tad pricing in the 60's -70's.

3.) The only thing on the bad side of Tads were that awful lacquer finish, it flaked off pretty soon after getting it, and eventually I sent it out to another cuemaker for a different finish other than lacquer. Has he always used that and now does his son use something more durable?

Ken