Switching Gears and Games for a While

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
After spending most of my billiards life in pool, I've decided I want a change of pace and game. I'm picking up snooker for the first time as of this year.

I've watched several training videos, read books, studied match play of several players on the tour for the last 30 years, but none of that is the same thing as actually playing.

I wanted to ask the regulars and veterans if they have any wisdom, tips, advice, or comments they'd like to offer up to someone who is new to playing the game. Cheers and thanks in advance :).

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Safety will win you more games than potting. Veteran players are very good at not leaving easy starts, so even if you are a better break builder than your competition, it won't matter if you can't get in. I remember when I started playing, I would leave my opponent 5 or 6 chances every game through sloppy safety or missed pots. I would get maybe 2 or 3 good chances, so it was tough to compete. To quote one of my mentors, "it's not what you make, it's what you leave!".

For break building, although you stun the ball a lot more than you might in pool, learn to use the rails too. You'll see a lot of professionals using one and two rail position play when they have to go up and down the table. One practice routine I like to do, line 5 reds across the width of the table around the pink spot and play for the baulk colours. At the amateur level the table can get pretty messy quite often, so being able to navigate up and down the table is a big advantage.

Good luck! It's a great game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After spending most of my billiards life in pool, I've decided I want a change of pace and game. I'm picking up snooker for the first time as of this year.

I've watched several training videos, read books, studied match play of several players on the tour for the last 30 years, but none of that is the same thing as actually playing.

I wanted to ask the regulars and veterans if they have any wisdom, tips, advice, or comments they'd like to offer up to someone who is new to playing the game. Cheers and thanks in advance :).
I think the most important thing is to find a place to play with good players. Is there such a place near you? I think osmosis is underrated as a learning tool at cue sports.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I think the most important thing is to find a place to play with good players. Is there such a place near you? I think osmosis is underrated as a learning tool at cue sports.

Good point about osmosis. There is a reason why good teachers in schools put a lot of thought into the classroom culture and learning environment.

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member

Unfortunately I know of only one place in in my immediate area (within a two hour radius) that has a snooker table in it, much less of players who are in the game. I'm in the deep south of the United States, so everything is 8 ball, 9 ball, and 1 pocket. However, I expect to be moving soon to a larger urban area, so I want to get started on some drills and good habits now to take over there when its time.

I have some experience with straight pool, but what I'm mostly known for is safety play until the run out is clear and then taking the opportunity. I'm hoping this mindset will serve me well in snooker. However, I have to admit in recent years my strength is in strategy, not necessarily break building. So I would likely be working on ways to build breaks of 30-40. I know I'm going to have to change some shot and thought patterns, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks for all the advice so far folks! I really appreciate it.