Here's an interesting question regarding the ABCD handicap system

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine accompanied me to a Tri State Tour event which are ran under the ABCD handicap system. So my buddy and I always start warming up by playing 14.1

One of the other patrons asked what would a amateur 4.1 event using the ABCD system look like? We sat around and we figured that if it was races to 100 points, each handicap would be separated by 25 points or so.

So if an A faces a D, the A would have to race to 100 while the D would only need 25 points.

Is this too much of a crazy/uneven handicap though? Anyone wanna chime in on how it should look like?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being familiar with the Tri State ratings, your system would only work if all + rated players in the BCD brackets were moved up a notch. A strong C+ who knows the game of 14.1 will beat an A player in 14.1 in the Tri State at least 75% of the time if given a 50 ball spot. Another example would be that the bottom half of the B bracket in Tri state would lose to the top half of the C+ bracket most of the time if giving a 25 ball spot to 100, given that both players have similar knowledge of 14.1. There just is not enough difference in ball pocketing ability between in the bottom half of ABCD bracket players and the top half of the D+ thru A+ brackets; within each bracket, to warrant that much of a spot- again, assuming both players have a reasonable knowledge of 14.1,

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's too big a step between handicaps. In the handicapped leagues I play in around here, the spots are in 5-ball increments.

The largest spot I've ever had to give was 120-15 in the semi-finals of the playoffs. Once I realized that I needed to play more safes, I managed to win.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
That's too big a step between handicaps. In the handicapped leagues I play in around here, the spots are in 5-ball increments.

The largest spot I've ever had to give was 120-15 in the semi-finals of the playoffs. Once I realized that I needed to play more safes, I managed to win.

I believe that 25 is a bit too much.

I run a league with 2 catagories broken into 4 sub catagories.

the upper tier i use 20 points between. but this 20 on the lower division is a bit too much. so in my lower division i use 15 points between. then in the end A does not play B until the League finals.

So in your case you may have to use a different scoreing system if these catagories will play more often than that.

Hope this helps, and i would like to here more about your plans.

-Steve