Who thinks earl called the 2

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
even if he called the 2 when he first stepped on table, he was going for an obviously different shot. In this tourny and many others, players dont call obvious shots. It was obvious he was backcutting the 10. Jayson is winning on technicality if he wins

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense to JS, I really like him, and IMO this game has disappointed me in his sportsmanship. I wouldn't have called that technical call on Earl. Everyone in the room knew what he was shooting at. Great player, but I think it was a pretty small technical error.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
even if he called the 2 when he first stepped on table, he was going for an obviously different shot. In this tourny and many others, players dont call obvious shots. It was obvious he was backcutting the 10. Jayson is winning on technicality if he wins

I personally wouldn't want to take a cheap win like that ... the shot was an obvious 10 IMO

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
If Earl actually did call the 10 this is the biggest shark move I've ever seen.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
not to mention ... players often call one ball ... walk around the table for some time and then decide on another shot. If its obvious .. they don't recall another ball ... so even if he did call the 2 at some point, IMO it doesn't matter.

I didn't even see an available shot on the 2

this is a cheap shot at earl and a shallow empty win if they give it to shaw

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sad to see jayson explode like this...I've met him several times and always held him in high regard. He's an amazing talent and a great guy. I missed the earlier part of the match, but from the commentary it seems like something happened between them earlier to let Jayson react like this. Wish the best for jayson, and I'm super excited to see him in the Mosconi cup=) Keep ur head up eagle eye, you did great and who knows the limit of your game. I'm kicking myself in the ass for being too lazy to attend the game, I'm only 10 mins away =(=(=(

dafatman

Registered
If players are not having to "declare" an obvious shot, then even if he did say the 2 ball, it's no different than if a player bends over to shoot an obvious shot but then turns and shoots at a "different", but better obvious ball. The first "look" was negated........Shaw needs to get over it.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The situation was exacerbated because earlier in the match Earl shot an obvious frozen combination and made it. However, Jayson called a foul due to the fact that Earl mistakenly called the first ball in the combination, not the ball that ultimately was pocketed.

Earl hung his head when he realized his folly, and conceded the foul to Jayson.

His behavior and reaction after the shot in question here was not in tandem with the foul noted above.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The situation was exacerbated because earlier in the match Earl shot an obvious frozen combination and made it. However, Jayson called a foul due to the fact that Earl mistakenly called the first ball in the combination, not the ball that ultimately was pocketed.

His behavior and reaction after the shot in question here was not in tandem with the foul noted above.

That's true, Earl vehemently claimed that he called the 10 ball.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I just got home from Steinway.

No foul was called here, as making a ball other than the one you call without making the ball you call is not a foul, just a miss, so the ball was spotted and Shaw took over.

Also, for me, all the evidence points in the direction of Earl having called the two by accident.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I just got home from Steinway.

No foul was called here, as making a ball other than the one you call without making the ball you call is not a foul, just a miss, so the ball was spotted and Shaw took over.

Also, for me, all the evidence points in the direction of Earl having called the two by accident.

How did the ref not hear that, he was closer than most of the fans ? Just curious ?

And who was the ref by the way? Was it the older guy in the white shirt. Early and Jayson start jawing at one another, and he does nothing, but then the TD shouts from across the room, and then the ref jumps to his feet as to take control ? If he wants to be a spectator, that's fine, but pay your $10 and sit in the stands ;)

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
How did the ref not hear that, he was closer than most of the fans ? Just curious ?

As far as I can tell, rather than presiding over the match like he should have been, the referee was in fact sitting down over next to Jayson Shaw while Earl was at the table.

I wasn't there, though, so maybe someone who was there can confirm where the referee was when Earl was at the table.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
As far as I can tell, rather than presiding over the match like he should have been, the referee was in fact sitting down over next to Jayson Shaw while Earl was at the table.

I wasn't there, though, so maybe someone who was there can confirm where the referee was when Earl was at the table.

And when the shit hit the fan, he was bullshitting with some folks completing ignoring the events unfolding right in front of him. This was not good for him, not at all.