Mint Gold Crown 1's - photo gallery

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys,

There have been some beautiful, original Gold Crown 1s posted lately. I wanted to start a single thread to share all the unmolested GC1s out there. IMO the best playing, best looking table ever made.

Post your pics, story and if willing, how much you paid.

Ian

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Posting pics and story for member Rikdee:

A couple of the shots show the application of an industrial anti-vibration compound to eliminate rail bolt loosening. Perhaps, I can take some additional shots closer up to show more detail and send later. These were shots taken in late fall of 2013, a couple of months after acquisition. I spend the first two months cleaning it down to every nut, bolt, and screw. Other than my cleaning and some touch up on the apron paint, it is completely un-restored.

I took quite a chance by purchasing sight unseen. I bought it from the original owner’s widow with the help of a local area billiard company (Pyramid Billiards near Pittsburgh). He was the guy who did the only recover in 2011 and knew well of the table. I arranged for him to buy the table on my behalf and drive it over to S.E. Michigan near Kalamazoo. A real stand-up guy, he said it was first rate top to bottom and stated had his inventory not been so high, he would gladly have bought it himself. It still has the original cushions that play quite well. I am now considering have the rails redone with new super speeds but it might be awhile. I couldn’t be happier with the find and the good fortune that ensued; all went as planned with a good bit of ‘shit-house’ luck thrown in. I can assure you that it is a living example of the Gold Crown installation manual. Like I told RKC, it ain’t ever gonna be for sale as long as I’m the owner!

Regards,

Rick

Attachments

• 100_1776.jpg
    100_1776.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 2,058
  • 100_1777.jpg
    100_1777.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 2,196
  • 100_1778.jpg
    100_1778.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 2,053
  • 100_1782.jpg
    100_1782.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 2,011
  • 100_1759.jpg
    100_1759.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 2,201
Last edited:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 more pics for Rikdee

Attachments

• 100_1757.jpg
    100_1757.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 2,125
  • 100_1758.jpg
    100_1758.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 1,996

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have posted most of this before scattered across a few threads.

Story of my GC1

Original owner purchased new in 1969, always had covered and had a box of white gloves you were required to wear when playing on it. I purchased from his estate in 2013 in Pittsburgh. I repainted the white base as it had yellowed with age. Otherwise completely original.

-1 owner
-original cloth
-original cushions
-install manual, original color brochures and sales invoice
-ball return
-matching wall rack
-set of centenials

Price: 1100$

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Within a week of picking up this table, I came across a guy in Cleveland who had sold his dads GC but still had all the accessories left.

-2 blue chair sets (I also found some yellow fiberglass buckets separately to match my table
-Another wall rack
-another set of centennials
-full rack of Challenger cues, each with original brown KU bumpers
-Wall rack install manual

Paid 500$ for everything except the yellow fiberglass shells.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Original rails?
Look like they have floating nuts instead of figure 8 plates.

Beautiful tables. Truly collectors' dreams.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Original rails?
Look like they have floating nuts instead of figure 8 plates.

Beautiful tables. Truly collectors' dreams.

Thank you sir. As Rick stated, there isn't a number that would separate me from this stuff.

Yes original rails. Again mine was delivered in 1969, not sure when they switched over?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thank you sir. As Rick stated, there isn't a number that would separate me from this stuff.

Yes original rails. Again mine was delivered in 1969, not sure when they switched over?
My GC2 has floating nuts.
I would have kept the cushions if the pocket opening weren't so wide.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Joe rogan has a sweet GC1 in his studio along with two GC cue racks.
Hope he posts a picture here, if not I'll dig one up.

Rob.M

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah, I thought about having the cushions changed. Ultimately I didn't want to remove the original cushions that were in great shape. I had Jack Z clean up the pocket cuts and use the thicker neoprene facings. They are all at least the exact same size now. Probably 4.75.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

The floating capture nuts came out in the GC1 first, as did every other change that most people think were identifying features indicating a GC2.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW!:eek::grin:
I am truly jealous.
Thanks for getting me excited.
Please post more photos, especially of the "break-down" and put together.
Dave

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rare to see a GCI with the apron and skirt corner/edges so perfectly aligned. That isn't easy to do! One other thing I noticed was how deep cut the slate is in the corner pockets. You could almost lose a ball in there. :wink:
I had many of the same style bar stool pairs in my first poolroom. They look nice but they can't stand up to heavy use. I was constantly tightening the bolts and screwing things back together. They would eventually just begin to fall apart. The fact that those are so pristine would indicate very little usage. Probably true for the table as well.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very cool photos. Great time capsule stuff there.
Love the chairs

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys,

There have been some beautiful, original Gold Crown 1s posted lately. I wanted to start a single thread to share all the unmolested GC1s out there. IMO the best playing, best looking table ever made.

Post your pics, story and if willing, how much you paid.

Ian

Those 6 legged Klings are pretty sweet.
I do love the GCs though , they are what I grew up on.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
-original cushions

Were they the red rubber cushions? If so, that's what I had on my GC1 that I no longer have due to a move, they were the best rails on a pool table I have ever played on.

Yours looks great, and I love all the accessories.

Dave

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Posting pics and story for member Rikdee:

A couple of the shots show the application of an industrial anti-vibration compound to eliminate rail bolt loosening. Perhaps, I can take some additional shots closer up to show more detail and send later. These were shots taken in late fall of 2013, a couple of months after acquisition. I spend the first two months cleaning it down to every nut, bolt, and screw. Other than my cleaning and some touch up on the apron paint, it is completely un-restored.

I took quite a chance by purchasing sight unseen. I bought it from the original owner’s widow with the help of a local area billiard company (Pyramid Billiards near Pittsburgh). He was the guy who did the only recover in 2011 and knew well of the table. I arranged for him to buy the table on my behalf and drive it over to S.E. Michigan near Kalamazoo. A real stand-up guy, he said it was first rate top to bottom and stated had his inventory not been so high, he would gladly have bought it himself. It still has the original cushions that play quite well. I am now considering have the rails redone with new super speeds but it might be awhile. I couldn’t be happier with the find and the good fortune that ensued; all went as planned with a good bit of ‘shit-house’ luck thrown in. I can assure you that it is a living example of the Gold Crown installation manual. Like I told RKC, it ain’t ever gonna be for sale as long as I’m the owner!

Regards,

Rick

Not a big fan of using spray glue to install the bed cloth....and then a few staples for insurance, cloth can't ever be installed as tight as it should be.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have posted most of this before scattered across a few threads.

Story of my GC1

Original owner purchased new in 1969, always had covered and had a box of white gloves you were required to wear when playing on it. I purchased from his estate in 2013 in Pittsburgh. I repainted the white base as it had yellowed with age. Otherwise completely original.

-1 owner
-original cloth
-original cushions
-install manual, original color brochures and sales invoice
-ball return
-matching wall rack
-set of centenials

Price: 1100$

Now that's some beautiful pocket finish work in that corner pocket....seems like I've seen that kind of work before somewhere:grin: