Strange foul, is this ball in hand?

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm watching an action match and player A has ball in hand after the break. He is moving the cue ball where he wants it with his cue stick, get's sloppy, and let's the cue ball slightly bump into another ball. In this case, this is ball in hand for player B now right? Player B just let player A move the ball back a half inch and take his ball in hand shot. I know this doesn't happen that often and is kind of a strange foul, so maybe they played it right?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I let him keep going. The cue ball wasn't formally adressed as a shooting foul

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
So I'm watching an action match and player A has ball in hand after the break. He is moving the cue ball where he wants it with his cue stick, get's sloppy, and let's the cue ball slightly bump into another ball. In this case, this is ball in hand for player B now right? Player B just let player A move the ball back a half inch and take his ball in hand shot. I know this doesn't happen that often and is kind of a strange foul, so maybe they played it right?

Under any rules package I've played under, that is a ball-in-hand foul. The cue ball is always "live" even when it is in your hand!

Lyn

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Under any rules package I've played under, that is a ball-in-hand foul. The cue ball is always "live" even when it is in your hand!

Lyn

That's kind of what I thought too. I understand if a ball is bumped in most situations it's put back, but with the cue ball I always thought it was "live" as well.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's kind of what I thought too. I understand if a ball is bumped in most situations it's put back, but with the cue ball I always thought it was "live" as well.

Not a foul - IMHO. Tho this is yet another example of why 'placing' the CB with your
cue is not the best of ideas.

As some well informed members have stated:

One can not commit a foul when acting as a referee. So you can't be called for a foul
when spotting a ball. I think this is the same idea.

YMMV

Dale

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

That's a foul!

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses! It would be helpful if a section was added to the rule book entitled "strange fouls and situations" where things like this that pop up from time to time are addressed.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Its a foul, and depending on the situation I'd call it one. Really comes down to how big of a pain the ass the opponent is, or if it happened in the tournament I run.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses! It would be helpful if a section was added to the rule book entitled "strange fouls and situations" where things like this that pop up from time to time are addressed.
The CSI/BCAPL rules cover a lot of unusual situations and rules interpretations. Here is what they have to say about this when playing "cue ball fouls only":

4. When placing or moving the cue ball, it is a foul if you touch or disturb any object ball with the cue ball or your hand that holds the cue ball. Your "hand" is defined as including the wrist up to a point where a wristwatch would normally be worn. Your opponent has no restoration option.

The CSI rules are available on their website.

JC

Coos Cues
I can't believe that in 2017 we're still talking about simple rules like this and there are still gaggles of players that don't understand them.

JC

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question that somewhat relates to this type of foul.
What if you have ball in hand are shooting on the eight ball. You pick up the cue ball to place it on the table and it falls out of your hand and drops into a pocket. What's the rule here? Would it be scratch and loss of game?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What if you have ball in hand are shooting on the eight ball. You pick up the cue ball to place it on the table and it falls out of your hand and drops into a pocket. What's the rule here? Would it be scratch and loss of game?

No foul. The cue ball remains in hand.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
funny fouls

This is funny. You challenged me to try to think of a goofy scenario I hadn't seen before so here you go.

Imagine in a rotation game both players are on two fouls. And the last player took an intentional foul to try to tie up the 1 ball so you couldn't hit it with ball in hand. But there was just a tiny cue ball sized gap where ball in hand could be placed to allow a direct hit on the 1, but it was so small that you couldn't place it there with your hand.

So the incoming player carefully lifts the cue ball over the gap like the claw in the crane game, then prepares to dead DROP it in the hole, knowing that if it bounces and touches another ball it is automatic loss of game.

Of course they could do the ol' 'jump on top of the ball' move. But I'd rather see the crane drop.

Best I could come up with. I love these stoner ideas. Keep 'em coming!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's a foul, and it happened in a big match on TAR. I'm surprised someone did not mention that already. Look up the Shane vs Alex match, one of the first TAR videos. The cueball is live in regards to contact with other balls all the time, even when you have ball in hand with it, if it touches another ball, it's a foul.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's not shot yet, and it did not touch anything in play, so no foul. You can adjust the cueball with ball in hand as many times as you like before you shoot, and it's not a foul. For your scenario to be a foul, you would have to also make it a foul to pick up the cueball again after you placed it on the table. Meaning as soon as you let go of the cueball, it's in play as a live ball and you can't touch it after that. That is not the case. It's still "free" till you shoot.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
We had a situation once where a player with BIH was moving the cue ball around with his cue and accidentally rolled it into the pocket. They called me over to the table and I called a foul on that. On hindsight maybe I made the wrong call, but I determined that he was moving the cue ball when the scratch happened. Let's see what Bob has to say.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a total brain fart once, playing an expensive game of one hole. It was years ago, so my memory is sketchy, but I simply picked up the CB abd started bobbing it in my hand thinking where to put it. I think this was right after spotting some balls. (there was no foul prior to this). My opponent looks at me and says what am I doing. I look down and see the CB is in my hand. I probably blushed, gave him the CB (it was my shot), spotted a ball, and he shot from befind the line.

Strange things happen in this game!