Jacoby's NEW Edge Hybrid shaft

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I was looking to maybe get an OB shaft for my Jacoby, and since my cue has double silver rings I thought I'd call Jacoby to see if they had any made up. They did not, but did have blanks to make me one. I was also informed that they were about to debut a laminated shaft of their own, and that Dave (Jacoby) would have one at the DCC that I could try out. Intrigued, I decided to hold off on the OB order, and give theirs a looksee.

I do not have the shaft YET, but it should be here in 2 weeks or less (just got off the phone with Brandon). I plan on posting a FULL REVIEW once I've had a couple of sessions with it here. In the meantime, I was hoping some others might have gotten their hands on one, and could give some feedback.....really looking forward to trying it, and maybe some other comments on one would quell my itching to try it. lol

For those who don't know about this shaft yet, I do have a little info I can pass along.

consistancy -

64 precisely machined individual veneers compose the shaft. The individual characteristics of the veneers average themselves out, yielding a shaft that is more consistant than any other shaft in the way the shaft will react on each shot and the weight and playability of one shaft to another.

balanced construction -

The spliced lamination construction yields unprecedented symmetry and balance found in no other shaft. Providing maximum stability and radial consistency in play.

stability -

The shaft composition along with the veneer orientation and balanced construction creates the most warp resistant wood shaft on the market. **can't draw the diagram here but it looks like 8 pie pieces with 7 lamenations in each of the 8 pieces**

deflection -

A feather light ferrule and vibration dampening core greatly reduces unwanted weight in the front end. This drastically reduces unwanted shaft deflection. **again a diagram - weight in front end of hard maple (stock) shaft is 1.4oz (at 13mm) and 1.2oz in the Edge Hybrid also at 13mm** The typical unwanted shaft vibration present when extreme English is applied is virtually eliminated by the vibration-dampening core. This results in unprecedented accuracy. Any size diameter and length up to 31" can be ordered - I opted for 12.65mm, standard length.

and last but not least, WARRANTY -

The Edge Hybrid is the ONLY high tech, low deflecting shaft to come with a written lifetime warranty against warping and defects!!

oh, and BTW....it is made by cheeseheads (WI), lol - in the good ole US of A.

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
As far as I know, McD. does not have a 'lam' shaft. They have several LD shafts but they are all based on the 1 pc shaft (i shaft,1,2,3 & G-Core).
Maybe you meant LD instead of lam.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
sounds unprecedented :rolleyes:

lol, obviously not my words, but I liked it when I tried Dave's demo. The illustration of how it's made was definitely different, so I figured, I'll give it a go.....

I'm just eager to get the darned thing and give it a good test drive! I'll definitely post my thoughts on it here though. Thought for sure someone on here might have already tried one out. ? ! ?

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
As far as I know, McD. does not have a 'lam' shaft. They have several LD shafts but they are all based on the 1 pc shaft (i shaft,1,2,3 & G-Core).
Maybe you meant LD instead of lam.

yes my bad. but after re-reading it, it is irrelevant since warranty claims these jacoby shafts are the only high tech shafts with that warranty. but to my knowledge mcdermott has it too and is also a high tech shaft.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
after a bit of a hold up, I received the new Edge Hybrid by Jacoby shaft yesterday...

Had to play league last night, and then went to the poolhall with it after. The shaft felt even better than the prototype I tried at the Derby. Feel, I'd put it in between a 312-2 and and OB1 (leaning more towards the Predator). Very easy to control the ball with the Edge Hybrid (meaning, spins the cueball with ease). I ordered it to be a hair smaller in diameter than a stock 314-2 (12.65mm), and it was a good choice in size! Still beefy enough to have confidence in tip placement, but not overly big feeling like a full 13mm shaft. Has a bit of a "donk" sound to it even with a new (stock) Everest tip on it. VERY satisfied with the purchase thus far, will give more feedback once I have a couple of more hours on her. So far, the Edge Hybrid gets an A, right there with an OB2 at A- (not because of performance and feel, but because the size is not customizeable - 11.75mm), and ahead of the OB1 (B+, a bit too soft feeling) and 314-2 (B, again, performance is excellent, but feel is lacking, though not too soft).

Hopefully, in a market flooded with HIGH-TECH shafts, folks will give the Jacoby a look. GREAT product, and EXCELLENT folks that make, and stand behind it!! It's not up on their website as of yet, but I'm sure all the info will be on there soon - http://www.jacobycustomcues.com/index.php

twal

"W"
Silver Member
I have to disagree with your thoughts on this post. I tried that shaft out in January. I think it does have a great feel on it and yes 64 pieces etc... I love the idea behind it. However it did not stand up when I ran a couple of deflection shots. Over and over again the ball deflected almost as much as a standard shaft... IMO. I personally might give it a step up and say it performs more like the G-core on the McDermott. However I don't think it even comes close to a 314-2 or an OB. This is was not only my opinion but others I spoke to about this after we tested it out.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
It would be interesting to list to Pete Tonkin about this shaft since he is one of the mast minds behind the creation of this shaft.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I have to disagree with your thoughts on this post. I tried that shaft out in January. I think it does have a great feel on it and yes 64 pieces etc... I love the idea behind it. However it did not stand up when I ran a couple of deflection shots. Over and over again the ball deflected almost as much as a standard shaft... IMO. I personally might give it a step up and say it performs more like the G-core on the McDermott. However I don't think it even comes close to a 314-2 or an OB. This is was not only my opinion but others I spoke to about this after we tested it out.

If it was the "prototype" that Dave had with him at the DCC...mine IS a bit different. My review was mostly based on feel, since this is the first low deflection shaft I've OWNED. I couldn't even tell you what "deflection shots" that you tried are!? Coming from a standard Jacoby shaft to this one wasn't much of a problem at all, so you are probably right, but I liked the OB2 on my cue when I tried it out, and didn't make any huge adjustments while shooting with it either. Guess I don't know how to USE them, but the Edge Hybrid sure shoots sweet to me :thumbup:

gwjackal

Paradigm Cue Sports
Silver Member
Doesn't royce offer a lifetime warranty on all there shafts well and they are as well made in usa! Flat lam sounds like a remake of the red dot shafts, or am I wrong?

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Doesn't royce offer a lifetime warranty on all there shafts well and they are as well made in usa! Flat lam sounds like a remake of the red dot shafts, or am I wrong?

not flat lam....picture a pie, 8 pieces, each piece laminated (8? layers per piece), then all 8 pieces put together (for 64 total). Still no info or more impotantly diagrams of it anywhere online :(

rodcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jacoby Hybrid

The Edge plays great, tried one a couple weeks ago. Order one now, there will a waiting list soon.

gwjackal

Paradigm Cue Sports
Silver Member
Ahhhh I see. I can't remember who it was but there is a cue builder in the pi that has been doing this for many, many years! Looks like someone seen it and just copied it from them, nothing new!

Unless someone can prove me wrong that this not a copied design, it's just another reason not to shoot or own a jacoby......

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Ahhhh I see. I can't remember who it was but there is a cue builder in the pi that has been doing this for many, many years! Looks like someone seen it and just copied it from them, nothing new!

Unless someone can prove me wrong that this not a copied design, it's just another reason not to shoot or own a jacoby......

Maybe it's a tribute to the PI builder's design, like your JB case ;)

Just teasing. Looks like you have numerous reasons not to shoot with or own a Jacoby :confused: I, myself, am more than happy with Dave, and all the fine folks that work at Jacoby Custom Cues!! :grin:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Maybe you mean the black dot? The red dot shafts Meucci made were nothing special, they were just regular 1pc shafts with red dot to line up the grain when your shooting. The black dot is the same thing except its a flat laminate blank with the dot instead of a solid maple shaft.

I believe the black dot is like 30veneers, the Jacoby is double that. But from Rustys post its not a flat laminate shaft, sounds like its more of a splice design similar to what OB has out there.

Anyone got any pics?

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the design is actual similar to the Annie O' Shafts; meaning laminated and put together pie-shaped to have radial consistancy.
I'd like to see a pic though.

cheapcues.com

Cue Dealer
Silver Member
That sounds interesting. I'm going to ask Dave about it the next time I talk to him. For the record though, Lucasi Hybrids are warrantied for life agaist warpage as well- and they make that very clear.

-Mike