how do you percieve or sight the aiming line

westlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when your on up postion and when your get down on the shot how do you imagine a line,,do you imagine a line kinda thick of the shaft,or imagining a line slice in the middle of the cue stick,or just use a whole cue ball as a line of aim,what are pros percieving a line when they shot,,:confused:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the vast majority of pros think in terms of lines. They seem to see relationship between the CB and OB necessary to make the ball and attempt to put the CB where needed.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, it's really about recognizing the relationship between the balls and between the OB and the pocket. See where the CB needs to be in order to send the OB to the pocket, then using your cue stick you send the CB to that location.

Most pros started off like everyone else, using ghostball (aiming the center of the CB to where it needs to be to pocket the OB), or they used fractions (aiming the center of the CB toward a specific fractional aim point on or near the OB that would result in the CB arriving at the appropriate location to pocket the ball), or they used contact points and parallel shifting to center CB, etc...

In each of these methods it's a pretty basic thought process -- look where the CB needs to be, visualize a path/line to that location, then shoot the CB along that path/line. After a while some players get very good at it and excel beyond the pack into pro-level ball-pocketing skills. It doesn't make them pro-level players unless they excel in other areas of the game, like CB control and strong mental skills.

westlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you sir for new idea i am only newbie in this game and i want to love or have a passion to become better player. thank bc21 hopefully i can buy your poolology your aiming system..this coming december

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
thank you sir for new idea i am only newbie in this game and i want to love or have a passion to become better player. thank bc21 hopefully i can buy your poolology your aiming system..this coming december

Thank you. This is a beautiful game, and you seem to already have a passion for it.

You can learn a lot from the many professional instructors here on AZ Billiards for free, or on YouTube.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lines established with stick aiming.

I start with the CP on the CB aimed at the CP on the OB and compensate for CIT.

Just saying.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always find my shot while in the complete upright position. Usually I can take my cue, hold it above the shot and "sight" the shot with the cue stick...I look for the angle that puts the OB in the pocket. I am extremely accurate with this process, it is when I forget to compensate for squirt and throw that it doesn't work. Really this works for me on just about any shot but a straight in one. But never had a problem seeing center ball, so straight in shots have never been a problem for me. The hardest thing to remember when using this method is to slightly overcut really long cut shots down the rail.

I am always amazed by how many people discuss pivots and other tricks to get to centerball...I see it as a symbiotic relationship between the balls and I line up accordingly. Granted, I don't make every shot and am no world beater. I should take a picture when I am at the local pool hall tomorrow so I can upload it, but probably won't remember to do so.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I always find my shot while in the complete upright position. Usually I can take my cue, hold it above the shot and "sight" the shot with the cue stick...I look for the angle that puts the OB in the pocket. I am extremely accurate with this process, it is when I forget to compensate for squirt and throw that it doesn't work. Really this works for me on just about any shot but a straight in one. But never had a problem seeing center ball, so straight in shots have never been a problem for me. The hardest thing to remember when using this method is to slightly overcut really long cut shots down the rail.

I am always amazed by how many people discuss pivots and other tricks to get to centerball...I see it as a symbiotic relationship between the balls and I line up accordingly. Granted, I don't make every shot and am no world beater. I should take a picture when I am at the local pool hall tomorrow so I can upload it, but probably won't remember to do so.

Same here. While standing upright I determine where the CB needs to be in order to pocket the OB. So my aim line or CB destination is already known before getting down on the shot. I've been doing it for 34 years, and so I rarely miss. The key to missing fewer shots is to know and understand your own limitations. This allows you to recognize and avoid low-percentage shots. Without a built-in safety in case you miss, consistently firing at low-percentage shots is a great way to consistently lose.

Not missing takes more than just seeing the line or knowing the aim point. It takes more than just thinking you're going to make the shot. You have to KNOW you're going to make the shot. If you don't know it, don't shoot it unless you can case it up (hook or leave your opponent with nothing in case you miss).

Willie Mosconi once said, "I never shoot a shot that I don't know I'm going to make."

That's great advice.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually remembered to take some pictures...but I think you have to have 3rd party hosting or something to post them here...asking me for a URL...I would post them if that were not the case, just so the OP could get a sense of how I look at a shot and determine my shot line....will keep looking for the rules on posting pics here I suppose and see if I can figure it out.

So I went ahead and created a photo album that can be accessed via my profile page, the four pictures I took yesterday are there if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Step 1. I imagine a laser width line on the table running from the pocket under the center of the object ball to a point 2 1/8 inches past the object ball. (i.e. the center of the ghost ball). I find it much more useful to focus on a 'point,' rather than an imaginary ball. Especially for thin cuts.

Step 2. From that point, I imagine another laser width line running under the center of the cue ball. (ie. the shot line).

Step 3. Pre-shot routine and execution built around the shot line