Walking On Treadmill Same As Around Table?

Filibogado

Registered
First post here. I am a baby boomer, just getting started on pool, and planning on spending significantly more time on the game after retirement, which is coming soon. I have a treadmill right next to my home pool table, and I am currently switching back and forth between the two for the 2 hours every evening that I spend in the basement. I don't really run on the treadmill - instead, I have a laptop on it which I work on while walking at 1.2 miles per hour and watching a large flat panel TV with my peripheral vision. It just occurred to me that the same striding motions involved in walking on the treadmill are the same as those involved in walking around the pool table. I figure I could double my pool practice time by giving up the treadmill routine and just walk around the table without sitting down for 2 hours a night. That way, I still get my walking exercise while enjoying my pool drills and watching American Idol at the same time. It's called "multi-tasking" for us driven individuals in Washington DC.

Any feedback on whether is is a good plan of action? I am just looking for a rationalization to justify my present bad practice habit (lol).

Thanks much,

Flip

RealLive

JUICEISBACK.COM
Silver Member
you can probably come up with your walking/shooting routine too, as long as you keep track of the distance you're walking around the table (get a pedometer?)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Welcome to the forums. Walking around the pool table is start and stop...no cardio there. Although playing pool for an hour or two works a lot more muscels than the ttheadmill. Perhaps 1/2 hour on the mill and a few hours on the table will work out better. Johnnyt

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
You definitely should have left the American Idol part out of your post.

Anyway, here is a LINK where you can calculate how many calories you burn playing pool. :grin:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep doing the treadmill.........

First post here. I am a baby boomer, just getting started on pool, and planning on spending significantly more time on the game after retirement, which is coming soon. I have a treadmill right next to my home pool table, and I am currently switching back and forth between the two for the 2 hours every evening that I spend in the basement. I don't really run on the treadmill - instead, I have a laptop on it which I work on while walking at 1.2 miles per hour and watching a large flat panel TV with my peripheral vision. It just occurred to me that the same striding motions involved in walking on the treadmill are the same as those involved in walking around the pool table. I figure I could double my pool practice time by giving up the treadmill routine and just walk around the table without sitting down for 2 hours a night. That way, I still get my walking exercise while enjoying my pool drills and watching American Idol at the same time. It's called "multi-tasking" for us driven individuals in Washington DC.

Any feedback on whether is is a good plan of action? I am just looking for a rationalization to justify my present bad practice habit (lol).

Thanks much,

Flip

Hi there Flip,

ONE OF THE MAIN reason for the treadmill is the cardio. I thought the same thing. But i was wrong. I'm getting in the best shape I've been in a long time. I ride the bike like I'm crazy for 20 to 30 minutes keeping the heart at about 140 to 150 beats per minute.
Pool will not take the place of that treadmill ever. Keep on treading my friend. your heart will love you for it.

good luck geno........

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walking on a treadmill at 1.5 mph is about the pace of a snail, so yes, you would get a comparable workout playing pool.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walking on a treadmill at 1.5 mph is about the pace of a snail, so yes, you would get a comparable workout playing pool.

I have to agree, if you're able to work on a laptop on the treadmill you're not coming close to cardio. Put it on Olympic speed walker pace if you're not up for running, a challenging walk can do you good without wrecking your joints or your self esteem. Save the pool table for relaxing, it's enough work without making it a workout! If you need to raise your heart rate playing pool, just raise the bet ;)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks much,

Flip
The two are not really comparable but pool is not bad exercise. A lot of walking, bending, stretching, plus some mental. A lot better then sitting in a chair watching TV.

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
Pool is better than nothing but does not at all compare to walking on a treadmill. The nonstop notion is key. You have to get the legs moving for good cardio.

Filibogado

Registered
Treadmill vs. Pool Table Walking

I have to agree, if you're able to work on a laptop on the treadmill you're not coming close to cardio. Put it on Olympic speed walker pace if you're not up for running, a challenging walk can do you good without wrecking your joints or your self esteem. Save the pool table for relaxing, it's enough work without making it a workout! If you need to raise your heart rate playing pool, just raise the bet ;)

What a wonderful idea! I'll definitely try this tonight. The reason I'm not up to running is because I have a mild case of angina pectoris (chest pain) when my body is subjected to sudden physical stress. As long as the walking effort is on a gradual slope as part of a sustained buildup, the symptom doesn't come on.

I guess a typical routine will be a hefty steak dinner at 6:30 pm, billiard pool for 1 hour at 7:30 pm, and Olympic speed walking at 8:30 pm, then bedtime at 9:00 pm.

P.S. I watched some Olympic walking clips on YouTube, and, except for the hip-swaying gait that makes some runners look effeminate, I think I'm going to like it.