Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue Accessory reviews
Reload this Page Decision on tips please....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Decision on tips please....
Old
  (#1)
icecool69
AzB Bronze Member
icecool69 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Skype™ to icecool69 
Decision on tips please.... - 05-14-2017, 04:21 PM

Hi,

Just bought myself a jacoby cue with a edge hybrid shaft. I love you cue however, not to sure on the everest tip they put on as standard.

I am going to be putting a new tip on but not sure which to try. My current thinking is either a Kamui, G2, or ultraskin.

A lot of people i know swears by the kamui but i am not convinced. I have a couple of mates that play with a G2 but again unsure on these at the minute. The unltraskin from what i read is quite good but is this not a cheap version of Kamui?

Any advice would be grateful.

Playing cue: Jacoby HB3
Jump cue: Jacoby Extender Cue
Break cue: Predator BK3

Old
  (#2)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-14-2017, 11:24 PM

To each their own, but, IMHO I think the Everest sucks.

I had Kamui Black SS tips on my cue an they played OK after I chopped about half of it off. However, they had a tendency to glaze over.

I had Kamui Black Medium and I thought it sucked.

I replaced it with a G2 Soft and it plays perfect for me. It doesn't glaze, it holds it shape well, and it gives you plenty of grip.

I just ordered another cue and it will have an Ultraskin Soft on it. If I don't like the way it plays, I'll put a G2 Soft on it, too.

Old
  (#3)
Kimmo H.
AzB Gold Member
Kimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2017, 12:35 AM

Tips are a very personal matter. What suits one perfectly might not work at all for the next guy. I like pretty firm, hard tips so I play with Zan grip hard, Kamikaze hard or milkduds. Everest is one of the worst tips I have had, always cut them off straight away these days if a new shaft comes in with one.

Kamikazes are cheap and work okay, I like their hard tips quite a bit. Zan tips are always good regardless of hardness and are a safe choice if you just know what hardness you want.

- 60" Lomax
- Mezz Kai / Pro R

Old
  (#4)
WilleeCue
The Barefoot Cuemaker
WilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

05-15-2017, 04:44 PM

I agree ... tips like most other things with a pool cue ... are a matter of personal preference.
Its tough to spend the money and go thru tips to find what you prefer but I do not know of any short cut. When you do find one ... buy a few extra tips from that same batch and stick with them.

Willee

Old
  (#5)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecool69 View Post
Hi,

Just bought myself a jacoby cue with a edge hybrid shaft. I love you cue however, not to sure on the everest tip they put on as standard.

I am going to be putting a new tip on but not sure which to try. My current thinking is either a Kamui, G2, or ultraskin.

A lot of people i know swears by the kamui but i am not convinced. I have a couple of mates that play with a G2 but again unsure on these at the minute. The unltraskin from what i read is quite good but is this not a cheap version of Kamui?

Any advice would be grateful.
I would recommend either a GOOD triangle...good luck, or a G2, Sniper, or Searing Precision. I wasn't exactly blown away by the Searing at first, but...The tip seems like a fine wine that just continues to get better each time I play with it. IMO, nothing grips like a G2, and I would/could play that tip all day every day, and may yet return to playing one.
Good luck.
j2

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#6)
icecool69
AzB Bronze Member

05-16-2017, 07:37 PM

Everyone has mentioned the G2 which one do you think will be better to try first. Soft,medium or Hard?

Old
  (#7)
Robert58
AzB Gold Member
Robert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2017, 08:06 PM

What tip and hardness is on your Meucci Pro Shaft?

Old
  (#8)
icecool69
AzB Bronze Member

05-16-2017, 08:23 PM

My Meucci has got the original tip on that came with the cue so not sure what they use.

Old
  (#9)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Everyone has mentioned the G2 which one do you think will be better to try first. Soft,medium or Hard?
The Soft was plenty hard enough for me, and the grip is unparalleled imo.
Best regards.
Joe P

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

Old
  (#10)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2017, 02:19 AM

Just to reiterate. The Everest is horrible.

Next, it's just about how much money you want to spend.
I'd recommend to always try Ultraskins M and S, H is you like it harder.
Can't say that I believe in 20EUR ($) tips... with Kamui and the like.

In general I have been preferring softer ones over the years as I've been playing much softer.

Cheers,
M

Old
  (#11)
2twoball
AzB Silver Member
2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute2twoball has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2017, 05:02 AM

Only 4 tips to even consider, none are layered. Only 1 of those are customized. The tips are ~ Elkmaster, Triangle, and LePro. The customized tip is a "Milkdud", a soaked & pressed Elkmaster made by Az member Jeff - 'pooldawg8' on this forum!

Old
  (#12)
SC02GTP
AzB Silver Member
SC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond reputeSC02GTP has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2017, 05:26 AM

Here is what I think, go with the Ultraskin tip and see how it works for you. If you hate it or want to try another hardness, you are only out 2.50 + install charge. I think you will be hard pressed to beat that tip for the money. If nothing else, you will find out what hardness you prefer and not throw 10-30 dollars per tip to experiment.

One of the single biggest struggles with deciding on a tip is getting a brand that is consistent from tip to tip and from hardness to hardness.

It seems to me that no matter what hardness you start out with, the tip will eventually become harder over time. This is due to the constant compression of the tip every time you strike the cue ball. I think of it like hitting a piece of leather with a hammer.

Old
  (#13)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

05-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC02GTP View Post
Here is what I think, go with the Ultraskin tip and see how it works for you. If you hate it or want to try another hardness, you are only out 2.50 + install charge. I think you will be hard pressed to beat that tip for the money. If nothing else, you will find out what hardness you prefer and not throw 10-30 dollars per tip to experiment.

One of the single biggest struggles with deciding on a tip is getting a brand that is consistent from tip to tip and from hardness to hardness.

It seems to me that no matter what hardness you start out with, the tip will eventually become harder over time. This is due to the constant compression of the tip every time you strike the cue ball. I think of it like hitting a piece of leather with a hammer.
Agreed. For the price point, I would also highly recommend the SIB Pro.

Old
  (#14)
Kamikazecuetips
AzB Silver Member
Kamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond reputeKamikazecuetips has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo H. View Post
Tips are a very personal matter. What suits one perfectly might not work at all for the next guy. I like pretty firm, hard tips so I play with Zan grip hard, Kamikaze hard or milkduds. Everest is one of the worst tips I have had, always cut them off straight away these days if a new shaft comes in with one.

Kamikazes are cheap and work okay, I like their hard tips quite a bit. Zan tips are always good regardless of hardness and are a safe choice if you just know what hardness you want.
That's great Kimmo...Glad you like the hard tip. Many others' are catching on as well and realize they don't have to pay $20-$25 for a good tip.

For high quality, great performing tips that are 50%-75% lower in cost, as compared to others, visit us at www.kamikazecuetips.com

Try one of our's....."You just might have a new favorite"...

Last edited by Kamikazecuetips; 05-17-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Old
  (#15)
TomHay
Best Tips For Less
TomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
My Meucci has got the original tip on that came with the cue so not sure what they use.
I would believe it to be an UltraSkin Medium if it is black layered.

Thank you to all the nice things said about the UltraSkin and SIB Layered Tips.

Does the thread starter have some friends that he can hit some balls with their cues to help decide which he prefers?

One shoe doesn't fit all feet, find what you like and enjoy the game.

The Price you need, the proven quality your customer deserves
Tom Hay
Email - Tcue@aol.com
Playing Cue - Custom 1999 RT 8 Point
Web Site - Layered Pool Cue Tips

UltraSkinLayered Layered Cue Tips AZ Member
Discounted Prices All USA States click banner below
and SIGN UP NOW for your discounts

Layered Cue Tips Video

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: