12 mm new cue for pool
Old
  (#1)
giulichajari
AzB Bronze Member
giulichajari is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

12 mm new cue for pool - 06-22-2017, 03:27 AM

I'm looking for a new cue for playing pool (8 ball 9 ball ).
I know that the thinner the cue is the more possible effects i could apply to the cue ball.
But the cues go from 11 mm to 13 mm. So i decided to probably buy a 12 mm cue..an intermediate.
Because i have read that the cue ball control is easier with less thinner cue.
What would you recommend me?

Enviado desde mi SM-G530M mediante Tapatalk

Old
  (#2)
icem3n
AzB Silver Member
icem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to icem3n Send a message via Yahoo to icem3n  
06-26-2017, 06:28 PM

Stick with 13mm unless you got a long bridge like Alex Pagulayan. 13mm or more allows you to have more consistant centre hit on the cueball.

Thicker and denser shaft allows you to have better control on the white.

If you want a lower deflection on a conventional shaft go with 11~12mm.

But my advice would be
1. Go with 13~13.15mm.
2. Maintaining your bridge distance in about one hand span from the cueball.
3. Master BHE.

Good luck.

Old
  (#3)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2017, 05:35 AM

IGNORE people saying "stay ... use thicker shaft".
For that matter, please ignore the previous post.

Go 11,5mm (Katana cues) or 11,75mm (OB, others, ...) - you will learn a LOT. You will actually IMPROVE.
Yes, you will need to work on a proper, straight stroke. Yes, you will need to adjust and probably play softer.
But the smaller diameter will come with much better LD properties. Which means, more accuracy and better control.
Bridge length does not really come into play regarding the tip size.

Cue ball control is not easier per se, due to the smaller area the english simply is more pronounced. Plus, you can see more of the CB due to thinner tip - which helps a lot!

Abso****ingly NEVER EVER use backhand english (BHE). It just ruins everything about a proper stroke and aiming.

I play 9mm, Snooker-style shaft. It's possible, and it works and I love every aspect of it.

Cheers,
M
(angry, because people just iterate the same crap about 13mm)

Old
  (#4)
giulichajari
AzB Bronze Member

06-27-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post

Go 11,5mm (Katana cues) or 11,75mm (OB, others, ...) - you will learn a LOT. You will actually IMPROVE.
Yes, you will need to work on a proper, straight stroke. Yes, you will need to adjust and probably play softer.
But the smaller diameter will come with much better LD properties. Which means, more accuracy and better control.

Cue ball control is not easier per se, due to the smaller area the english simply is more pronounced. Plus, you can see more of the CB due to thinner tip - which helps a lot!

Abso****ingly NEVER EVER use backhand english (BHE). It just ruins everything about a proper stroke and aiming.

I play 9mm, Snooker-style shaft. It's possible, and it works and I love every aspect of it.

Cheers,
M
Thanks for answer.
The two comments above means that is a few subjective. The cue must be comfortable for the player. It has to make you feel sure at time of shooting.
International players,who are the best probably uses 11 mm cues.

But..are there shoots you can do only with 11 mm? Not with 13mm?

Probably massettes are fantastic with thiner cue

Regards

Old
  (#5)
icem3n
AzB Silver Member
icem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond reputeicem3n has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2017, 02:31 PM

I do own snooker cues and it is not the right equipment to play 9 ball nor even 8 ball. How many Pros do you see playing pool successfully with snooker cue?
Smaller diameter cue like a snooker cue deflect like a 314 shaft. Slight off centre cueing will cause you to miss a shot.

Bridge length does makes alot of difference. To the op, try experimenting playing english with different bridge length.

Old
  (#6)
beneath_the_sur
play 1cushion & balkline
beneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2017, 03:58 PM

Try different sizes and find what works best for you

I play all games with my carom cues, I don't have pool shafts

Thick European strong taper, 11 &11.5mm tips
Soft and medium, soft for small games carom
Medium for pool and 3c

I use every single area of the ball to apply English whenever it's needed and a good carom shaft does not deflect easily

Old
  (#7)
icem3n
AzB Silver Member

06-27-2017, 05:14 PM

Smaller diameter tip equates to lower front end mass.

Old
  (#8)
Rackattach
AzB Silver Member
Rackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond reputeRackattach has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2017, 05:44 PM

12.75-13mm is fine

www.anglermanagementfishing.com

Player - Genuine NutHog Dufferin Conversion w/G10 pin
Break - Genuine NutHog Dufferin Jump/ Break w/Phenolic

Old
  (#9)
beneath_the_sur
play 1cushion & balkline
beneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
M

same friend,
for me the move to small tip was a game changer, and it may or not be for the op,
but give it a shot is all im saying, hes already interested in it

why not

Old
  (#10)
beneath_the_sur
play 1cushion & balkline

06-27-2017, 06:38 PM

to the op, want to see real cue ball control?

3 cushion pros usualy dont use bigger than 12mm

check out this fantastic match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxSjZaMKv94&t=105s

Old
  (#11)
icem3n
AzB Silver Member

06-28-2017, 02:11 AM

Not forgetting how slippery like glass a 3 cushion table is.

Old
  (#12)
icem3n
AzB Silver Member

06-28-2017, 02:20 AM

More slippery more higher deflection on bigger shaft.

Old
  (#13)
beneath_the_sur
play 1cushion & balkline

06-28-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icem3n View Post
More slippery more higher deflection on bigger shaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icem3n View Post
Not forgetting how slippery like glass a 3 cushion table is.
And still the most precise game on the planet by far
They don't use tree trunk shafts
Try to reach the outter most extreme limits of the ball with a 13mm shaft,

Reminds me of Beavis
"Boioioioioioioing"

Last edited by beneath_the_sur; 06-28-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Old
  (#14)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneath_the_sur View Post
And still the most precise game on the planet by far
They don't use tree trunk shafts
Try to reach the outter most extreme limits of the ball with a 13mm shaft,
I have the utmost respect for 3 cushion players. Usually they're also nice characters, much much more than any pool players.
Both Cauldron and Sanchez have demonstrated skills that just are beyond normal.

In case you (only) pool players haven't noticed - the game is changing. As such, it's time to change your equipment accordingly.
The cloth has started to get faster, so much more finesse already is possible and needed.
Cushions in new tables finally are worth being called a cushion and react as they're supposed to.
Tactical play now wins matches, not busting balls in.

If anybody has watched Ouschan in the last 2 years you can see that he's winning by finesse and even taking on and pocketing balls that have 1mm of tolerance (pocket obstructed, plants, etc...).
No regular player would be able to pocket these because you need extremely slow speed and you cannot bang them in.

That's also why he destroyed (yes, I'll use that word) the USA in the world cup of pool. van Boening was doing a regular saftey for the 1 behind the 9, to the cushion, and was happy with himself.
Ouschan didn't care, pocketed the 1 with a very defined, slow shot anlong the short rail.

I don't expect any of you to play 9mm like I do, or 10mm. I started it as an experiment to see exactly what would happen.
BTW, that obscure guy "Mark Grey" is playing with a hybrid pool/snooker cue with 10mm ash shaft, special black LD ferrule, canonical taper. Quite successfully I think?

So please try 12 or 11,75mm.
The Carom guys had LD before pool players were even thinking about that...
And if you still think pool is about 13mm and force then you might not haven opened your eyes. Even 9ball is more about manouvering than force. And if you use your cushions and the run of the ball properly just a hint of English will make the CB travel the whole table, not any force.

Cheers,
M

Last edited by M.G.; 06-28-2017 at 05:01 AM.

Old
  (#15)
giulichajari
AzB Bronze Member

06-28-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I have the utmost respect for 3 cushion players. Usually they're also nice characters, much much more than any pool players.
Both Cauldron and Sanchez have demonstrated skills that just are beyond normal.

In case you (only) pool players haven't noticed - the game is changing. As such, it's time to change your equipment accordingly.
The cloth has started to get faster, so much more finesse already is possible and needed.
Cushions in new tables finally are worth being called a cushion and react as they're supposed to.
Tactical play now wins matches, not busting balls in.

If anybody has watched Ouschan in the last 2 years you can see that he's winning by finesse and even taking on and pocketing balls that have 1mm of tolerance (pocket obstructed, plants, etc...).
No regular player would be able to pocket these because you need extremely slow speed and you cannot bang them in.

That's also why he destroyed (yes, I'll use that word) the USA in the world cup of pool. van Boening was doing a regular saftey for the 1 behind the 9, to the cushion, and was happy with himself.
Ouschan didn't care, pocketed the 1 with a very defined, slow shot anlong the short rail.

I don't expect any of you to play 9mm like I do, or 10mm. I started it as an experiment to see exactly what would happen.
BTW, that obscure guy "Mark Grey" is playing with a hybrid pool/snooker cue with 10mm ash shaft, special black LD ferrule, canonical taper. Quite successfully I think?

So please try 12 or 11,75mm.
The Carom guys had LD before pool players were even thinking about that...
And if you still think pool is about 13mm and force then you might not haven opened your eyes. Even 9ball is more about manouvering than force. And if you use your cushions and the run of the ball properly just a hint of English will make the CB travel the whole table, not any force.

Cheers,
M
Thanks you again.

I'm from Argentina..we haven't a nice level je.. and the cue shop only sells 12.5 or 13 mm. And i don't know what requirments are to import directly from USA.
I will call to Buenos Aires for a reseller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: