Reload this Page Joss warranty?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Joss warranty?
Old
  (#1)
ddg45
AzB Bronze Member
ddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Joss warranty? - 08-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Good evening folks. I know there are a lot of Joss fans out there but I was wondering...I'm thinking of buying a Joss but I'm a little concerned about their warranty. As far as I can tell it's weak compared to others in the industry? All the other quality made-in-USA cue companies such as McDermott, Viking (I know, they're more of a mass-produced product) but also Schon, OB, and Pechauer have lifetime warranties, and most include warpage. The Joss warranty seems pretty restricted and to me it indicates they're not willing to stand behind their product like the others. It may not be a big deal to many and I know I'm a little OCD, but am I wrong or have others had the same concern and bought something else? Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by ddg45; 08-10-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddg45 View Post
Good evening folks. I know there are a lot of Joss fans out there but I was wondering...I'm thinking of buying a Joss but I'm a little concerned about their warranty. As far as I can tell it's weak compared to others in the industry? All the other quality made-in-USA cue companies such as McDermott, Viking (I know, they're more of a mass-produced product) but also Schon, OB, and Pechauer have lifetime warranties, and most include warpage. The Joss warranty seems pretty restricted and to me it indicates they're not willing to stand behind their product like the others. It may not be a big deal to many and I know I'm a little OCD, but am I wrong or have others had the same concern and bought something else? Thanks for your feedback.
Are you buying a toaster or a pool cue? A pool cue or a warranty?

Any company absorbs warranty claims by charging more. That's all.

You have warranties by law, and those that are contractual. The lifetime warranties are limited and usually not what you think.

Dan Janes has been building cues since 1968. He has sponsored many events over the decades. He is a HOF cue maker.

I don't think there is a problem with business practices at Joss. I think I heard of one person with a bad experience with Joss.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#3)
AlexandruM
AzB Silver Member
AlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-11-2017, 02:21 AM

Mezz is giving a lifetime warranty for their cues, but only for original buyer, if you sell the cue the second person doesn't have any warranty on the cue.
How do you think it is a good restriction? It is really a lifetime warranty for cue?

Joss warranty is a realistic one.

Romanian Pool Blog

Old
  (#4)
ddg45
AzB Bronze Member
ddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandruM View Post
Mezz is giving a lifetime warranty for their cues, but only for original buyer, if you sell the cue the second person doesn't have any warranty on the cue.
How do you think it is a good restriction? It is really a lifetime warranty for cue?

Joss warranty is a realistic one.
Yes... most of the companies I mention, and others by the way, will replace your shaft if it EVER warps. That is for the original owner only and it may rarely come into play, but still it indicates a confidence in their product and a level of customer service that Joss does not offer, for whatever reason. That's all I'm saying and it isn't necessarily a reflection on the quality of Joss products, just the corporate position that seems a little less customer friendly than the majority of their competitors.

Old
  (#5)
DaveM
AzB Silver Member
DaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Yes... most of the companies I mention, and others by the way, will replace your shaft if it EVER warps. That is for the original owner only and it may rarely come into play, but still it indicates a confidence in their product and a level of customer service that Joss does not offer, for whatever reason. That's all I'm saying and it isn't necessarily a reflection on the quality of Joss products, just the corporate position that seems a little less customer friendly than the majority of their competitors.
The "lifetime" warranty is a marketing tool, and not the reason I would buy a particular cue. I suppose it comes in handy for some at times. I have a Joss merry widow and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Joss cue.
A Hyundai has a longer warranty than any other make including Acura, Lexus, Mercedes and Cadillac. They're good vehicles, but aren't better vehicles than many other brands with a shorter warranty. Nor do they necessarily have better customer service.

Last edited by DaveM; 08-11-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Old
  (#6)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2017, 06:43 AM

Research on here a little more a bout Joss' warranty. A guy on here was raising hell anytime Joss was mentioned for a while. Forgot his handle but I could find him. He said they would not honor the warranty if the cue had been chalked! My recent experience with both McD and Pechauer has been over-the-top. Because of what I read on here, I will think long and hard before I buy ANY Joss, and then I would only consider a block letter Joss at a bargain price! (I know, I know, you can't believe everything you read. So if someone writes something to dispute this should I read that & believe it, lol).

Old
  (#7)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Actually I see such things as more of a marketing strategy and not about customer friendly.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#8)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

08-11-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twoball View Post
Research on here a little more a bout Joss' warranty. A guy on here was raising hell anytime Joss was mentioned for a while. Forgot his handle but I could find him. He said they would not honor the warranty if the cue had been chalked! My recent experience with both McD and Pechauer has been over-the-top. Because of what I read on here, I will think long and hard before I buy ANY Joss, and then I would only consider a block letter Joss at a bargain price! (I know, I know, you can't believe everything you read. So if someone writes something to dispute this should I read that & believe it, lol).
And that's the one guy I spoke of.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#9)
ddg45
AzB Bronze Member

08-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
The "lifetime" warranty is a marketing tool, and not the reason I would buy a particular cue. I suppose it comes in handy for some at times. I have a Joss merry widow and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Joss cue.
A Hyundai has a longer warranty than any other make including Acura, Lexus, Mercedes and Cadillac. They're good vehicles, but aren't better vehicles than many other brands with a shorter warranty. Nor do they necessarily have better customer service.
Not a good analogy. Hyundai (and Kia) are the only 2 out of many manufacturers with the exceptionally long warranties whereas virtually ALL the high quality USA cue makers EXCEPT Joss offer the longer warranties. That doesn't mean they make better cues than Joss of course but by definition I think it does mean better customer service, and if just a marketing ploy I can't help but wonder why everyone employs it but them? To those who use, enjoy, and are loyal to Joss that's fine, and if you have had nothing but positive experience with them that's great also and the kind of feedback I'm looking for, but I don't understand the emotional and defensive responses to this thread.

Old
  (#10)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2017, 10:40 AM

I have a McDermott C-14 cue that I bought new back in 1985, after the D-line was introduced, and I am the original owner. It has remained in perfect condition all these years, but I sent it back to McDermott for a refinish a couple years ago just to make it look brand new.

If one owns a cue for a "lifetime", how would they prove they were the "original" owner? Do they expect someone to keep a receipt for decades and decades?

Old
  (#11)
ddg45
AzB Bronze Member

08-11-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
I have a McDermott C-14 cue that I bought new back in 1985, after the D-line was introduced, and I am the original owner. It has remained in perfect condition all these years, but I sent it back to McDermott for a refinish a couple years ago just to make it look brand new.

If one owns a cue for a "lifetime", how would they prove they were the "original" owner? Do they expect someone to keep a receipt for decades and decades?
Hard to go backwards if one doesn't keep records, but I'm pretty good about keeping receipts for years. Better than that though...most cue manufacturers, including McDermott and Pechauer, which I own, allow you to register the purchase on their websites. Reasonably though, I probably wouldn't nitpick after many years of good service from a cue. If, however, my shaft were to warp after a couple months without me leaving it in the car, etc.and the maker didn't care? I know that's rare, but that would really bother me, and I've seen a post dated a couple years ago where that exactly happened to a Joss owner and he was not a happy camper.

Old
  (#12)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

08-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Not a good analogy. Hyundai (and Kia) are the only 2 out of many manufacturers with the exceptionally long warranties whereas virtually ALL the high quality USA cue makers EXCEPT Joss offer the longer warranties. That doesn't mean they make better cues than Joss of course but by definition I think it does mean better customer service, and if just a marketing ploy I can't help but wonder why everyone employs it but them? To those who use, enjoy, and are loyal to Joss that's fine, and if you have had nothing but positive experience with them that's great also and the kind of feedback I'm looking for, but I don't understand the emotional and defensive responses to this thread.
Works both ways.

I consider the response regarding one complaining poster to be emotional.

I think the whole reaction about tying customer service to the warranty to be a reactionary emotional response.

Nowhere do I see anything about the product in that idea nor any real association with customer service.

You wonder why companies do what they do regarding warranties? For exactly the same reason that you are here asking! Because people think it means better customer service!

But it does not mean that at all. No, it does not by definition mean they offer better customer service. It is indeed intended to fuel that perception though. You are a great consumer though...classic target of advertising and marketing.

Have you met and spoken with Dan Janes?

This was your question:
Quote:
It may not be a big deal to many and I know I'm a little OCD, but am I wrong or have others had the same concern and bought something else? Thanks for your feedback.
Personally, I don't think that's OCD about pool cues. OCD is being very focused on every little detail and spec of cue construction.

Focusing on the warranty isn't OCD, it's missing the point of choosing a pool cue.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#13)
JayTee
AzB Bronze Member
JayTee is on a distinguished road

08-12-2017, 11:04 AM

I bought my Joss at their shop in MD and have spoke to Dan multiple times....he even did work on a friend's Meucci Gambler for free. He's a great man, and my Joss with the new HP laminate shaft is the best cue I've ever owned. I'm buying his Thor break cue next.

Old
  (#14)
ddg45
AzB Bronze Member

08-12-2017, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback. As I said...I may buy a Joss and I know historically they have a solid reputation but want to be sure they're making a product with QC controls in place where a weaker warranty than their competitors won't be a concern.

Old
  (#15)
ddg45
AzB Bronze Member

08-12-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
By coincidence...I own a Hyundai Sonata and it's been a great car but recently had some suspension problems that would have cost $hundreds repaired for free with a smile. I was glad I had that 100,000 mile warranty then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: