WICO blanks?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
what is a wico blank? who made them? who used them? how long were they made?

thanks,
louis
A Wico blank is a point blank with seamless plastic veneers in the points.
Bob Meucci made them when he worked for Wico as a side business.
I do not know who all used them. He sold them to most of the poular cuemakers of the time, but who knows how many of them just bought samples and never made a cue with them or how many they bought.
I do not know how long they were made.

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have several cues from the early 1960's thru 1970's that have the plastic WICO veneers. I have several VIKING cues with 3 and 4 point WICO veneers, and an old 1962 unknown maker cue with 4 point WICO points that someone thought Ricco Cervantes made when he was with National Cues back in the 1960's. I heard that Gus Szamboti made a couple of cues with the WICO points. Here are a couple of pics. I have more pics if needed, but I would have to load them into Photobucket. These are already there. Hope this helps.

John

P1110112-1.jpg

P1110095.jpg

P1110113.jpg

PC080044.jpg

PC080043.jpg

PC080039.jpg

PC080042.jpg

e1_1.jpg

2c_1.jpg

ef_1.jpg

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several cues from the early 1960's thru 1970's that have the plastic WICO veneers. I have several VIKING cues with 3 and 4 point WICO veneers, and an old 1962 unknown maker cue with 4 point WICO points that someone thought Ricco Cervantes made when he was with National Cues back in the 1960's. I heard that Gus Szamboti made a couple of cues with the WICO points. Here are a couple of pics. I have more pics if needed, but I would have to load them into Photobucket. These are already there. Hope this helps.

John

P1110112-1.jpg

P1110095.jpg

P1110113.jpg

PC080044.jpg

PC080043.jpg

PC080039.jpg

PC080042.jpg

I know this thread is old, but I really enjoyed your post John, I see you are active on the forums as well, I was curious about Wico and this was good information!
Would really like to see some of Gus's cues that had wico points, anyone ?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this thread is old, but

I have an early Gandy HC-150 with Wico veneers, as well as some other cues like Viking for example. I have seen one early McDermott with Wico veneers.

My Gandy:
picture.php

Ryan of Rat Cues was working on reproducing the Wico design and was posting here about his progress, I hope to see him back at it at some point. I believe he was running into problems with adhesives when we last heard from him about it.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know little about them but have seen them and I always thought they were pretty cool. With the advances in plastics you would think it would be pretty easy today

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the story I have, Burton Spain was the first to try to make wico type blanks and was unsuccessful. Burton then said it could not be done and offered a challenge/bet of some type for anyone who could perfect this. Bob Meucci took him up on it and won the bet with Burton and as far as I know he is the only person to ever do them. That's my story! If anyone runs in to Bob just ask him about it, he will explain the whole story. I would like to add that I did not get this story from Bob either but have spoken to him about it after the fact ( At SBE).

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wico Palmers

Wico veneers are fairly easy to recognize. Here are three Palmer forearms which contain Wico veneers.

Attachments

• Palmer - WICO Trio.jpg
    Palmer - WICO Trio.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 888

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were there more color combinations than those two?

Great question. I don't know what color combinations there were. Any of you guys know?

My Gandy that I posted above is, IIRC: white, gray, brown, black from inside out.

Attachments

• 20160610_152603.jpg
    20160610_152603.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 782

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen Vikings with red Wico points and matching boxes in the butt sleeve.
and an identical cue with a G logo, Guffy?

I shot balls with three cues of this type and loved all three.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen Vikings with red Wico points and matching boxes in the butt sleeve.
and an identical cue with a G logo, Guffy?

I shot balls with three cues of this type and loved all three.

I would love to see pics.

If we contain the conversation to genuine Wico veneers then those cues are only Wico if they were very old Viking cues.

Although Viking made many vinyl veneer cues, they have not been Wico for a very long time.

Guffey did sell a line of Viking cues, but that was in the nineties, way after Wico veneers.

Of course, If I am wrong about any of that, anybody can feel free to correct me.

FYI, this is my 1980 Viking 3 point with vinyl veneers. Do we call these Wico veneers?

V_W.JPG

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would love to see pics.

If we contain the conversation to genuine Wico veneers then those cues are only Wico if they were very old Viking cues.

Although Viking made many vinyl veneer cues, they have not been Wico for a very long time.

Guffey did sell a line of Viking cues, but that was in the nineties, way after Wico veneers.

Of course, If I am wrong about any of that, anybody can feel free to correct me.

FYI, this is my 1980 Viking 3 point with vinyl veneers. Do we call these Wico veneers?

V_W.JPG

No. They are Viking veneers. They might could be called Wico style veneers, but Bob gave the system to Viking when he quit the point blank business. Viking then kept making those style points until the manufacturer of the "only glue that would work" quit making the glue. At least that is how I remember hearing the story.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. They are Viking veneers. They might could be called Wico style veneers, but Bob gave the system to Viking when he quit the point blank business. Viking then kept making those style points until the manufacturer of the "only glue that would work" quit making the glue. At least that is how I remember hearing the story.

As I thought, and just as I have heard as well.

If we are talking Wico, the Viking veneers like I posted are not included.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Here is the ONLY Gus Szamboti Wico cue with inlays that I have here in my shop for sale. Also an old Gandy cue with ivory butt cap with Wico veneers...

Both are for sale at www.billiardbills.com

Attachments

• Gus Wico 1.jpg
    Gus Wico 1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Gus Wico 2.jpg
    Gus Wico 2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 318
  • Gus Wico 3.jpg
    Gus Wico 3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 337
  • Gandy Wico 1.jpg
    Gandy Wico 1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 364
  • Gandy Wico 2.jpg
    Gandy Wico 2.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 318

bstroud

Deceased
Dan and I used 3 Wico blanks when we started Joss Cues.

We ruined one due to inexperience.

Sold the other two as cues.

Made all our own blanks from that point on.

Taught Szamboti how to make blanks over the phone. Never met him.

Bill S.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Yes it was burton Spain’s idea originally I think and he made a few but bob figured out the glueing and Spain had dropped it already if I’m not mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the ONLY Gus Szamboti Wico cue with inlays that I have here in my shop for sale. Also an old Gandy cue with ivory butt cap with Wico veneers...

Both are for sale at www.billiardbills.com

I have a Gandy with that butt sleeve, and two original shafts, WICO blank, with the original wrap. That's a Gandy HC-150

Nice cue.

A great little part of history.

picture.php