No Aiming System?

nitekram

Registered
I am not even sure I use an aiming system, and not even sure what to look for it I am. I have been shooting pool off and on for about 25 years, so if I am using one, I would have to assume it is the ghost ball, but I cannot tell.

I just started using a lot of inside english to make the cue ball roll less - even on stop/stun shots. I shoot rather well, and recently started to change my stroke, to put a pause in the back stroke...like SVB. It has taken about a month, but I am starting to see an improvement on my cue ball control...which was not lacking, I just wanted maybe a little more center ball hits with speed to get to the next location.

So I guess my question is...why are all these systems needed and if I were to use one, which one and should I change my aiming or not? I do not miss that often...like hardly ever - most of the time I do not run out, is because I lost my cue ball control.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not even sure I use an aiming system, and not even sure what to look for it I am. I have been shooting pool off and on for about 25 years, so if I am using one, I would have to assume it is the ghost ball, but I cannot tell.

I just started using a lot of inside english to make the cue ball roll less - even on stop/stun shots. I shoot rather well, and recently started to change my stroke, to put a pause in the back stroke...like SVB. It has taken about a month, but I am starting to see an improvement on my cue ball control...which was not lacking, I just wanted maybe a little more center ball hits with speed to get to the next location.

So I guess my question is...why are all these systems needed and if I were to use one, which one and should I change my aiming or not? I do not miss that often...like hardly ever - most of the time I do not run out, is because I lost my cue ball control.

Well, if you don't miss, then don't fix what is not broken. Learn position play, basically keeping the CB on the correct side of the OB line that you can position yourself naturally for the next shot, and so on. Aiming systems are great, but they do NOT teach CB control.

Find a copy of George Fels' book, "Mastering Pool." Tor Lowry is big on position exercises using center stop, follow, or draw (no English) using the OB line for positioning. If you are out of line, or want to learn some advanced position play, check out Bert Kinister's videos.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

They are not.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aiming systems are not intended to provide a method of pocketing balls for a player that rarely misses. I didn't learn with an aiming system, and like you I rarely miss a ball, though I run out quite often. If you pocket balls well, then get shape skills tuned up and you'll start getting out more often.

I have noticed, since coming up with a good aiming system, that having that system is a great double-checker on certain key shots where pocketing the ball is 100% crucial.... like the break ball in 14.1, or the 9 ball when you're hill-hill in a race to 9 for $500 and you leave yourself a little tougher than you wanted. In those situations, sometimes instinct may be a little shaky, but the system is a great backup to check your instinct.

Every now and then, when I'm not hitting the balls very well (due to lack of mental focus or laziness), I use the system on about every shot for a couple of racks. And it gets me in stroke and back to playing by instinct.

So even though an aiming system is meant to help average players become better players, it can also be a useful tool for better players.

Last edited:

nitekram

Registered
since coming up with a good aiming system.
Which one did you use or come up with? I can run most tables, like you, but I think my issue is trying to get the exact position, and over shooting it sometimes. I have a good understanding of how to get out...but that lack of focus sometimes hits me too.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Which one did you use or come up with? I can run most tables, like you, but I think my issue is trying to get the exact position, and over shooting it sometimes. I have a good understanding of how to get out...but that lack of focus sometimes hits me too.

Back when I played every day, focus was the nuts. I guess not playing every day allows bad habits creep in. Anyway, the system i was referring to is fractional ball aiming. I came up with a way of knowing which fractional hit is needed without using fingers or guesswork. I put it all in a book and named it Poolology. I'm slowly adding clips to YouTube explaining it a bit, and Billiards Digest is doing a review on it for the March edition. I'm not trying to sell you a copy. Lol. Check out the YouTube clips, user "Poolology".

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back when I played every day, focus was the nuts. I guess not playing every day allows bad habits creep in. Anyway, the system i was referring to is fractional ball aiming. I came up with a way of knowing which fractional hit is needed without using fingers or guesswork. I put it all in a book and named it Poolology. I'm slowly adding clips to YouTube explaining it a bit, and Billiards Digest is doing a review on it for the March edition. I'm not trying to sell you a copy. Lol. Check out the YouTube clips, user "Poolology".

I'm using your system pretty regularly now, so I can vouch for Poolology. For the majority of the shots one will face, it's a very quick and easy check to determine what ball fraction to use. Brian, you might want to put a link in your signature for those who might be interested.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Keep om going.

Maybe you can teach me what you do.

randyg

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

I don't think your problem has anything to do with aiming. Sounds like your not sure of anything.. and that there is your problem.:wink:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BC - like you I've been playing a long time and I just know where to hit the ball to pocket it. I thought your aiming system was interesting because it starts not with lining up the object ball to the pocket, but with lining up the cue ball straight through the object ball and into the rail (if I understand correctly). This is exactly how I begin my PSR. I look at the straight line standing up, and then just before I get down on the shot, I adjust to the correct shot line. The farther that straight line is away from the pocket, the more I have to shift just as I get down. In your system, it seems you use a combination of diamonds and cue ball table position (zone) in order to arrive at a fractional ball hit. I do this just by feel like you say.

I also think you are not overselling your system. You say up front that it is fractional and gets you close to the pocket, and in many cases in the pocket due to margin of error in the pocket width. It sounds very simple and straightforward. I imagine it doesn't take long to learn it.

It sounds like a good system, and the couple of people who have tried it seem to like it. I hope it proves out to be something that a wide range of people can make use of. Sometimes these systems are of benefit only to the guy who came up with it!

Anyway, your system caught my eye right away because it matches how I play, and I've never seen anyone else talk about making use of the straight in line as a reference point. I also have a dead nuts method for determining cue ball position off a rail, but that one will have to remain inside my brain for now. :smile:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyway, your system caught my eye right away because it matches how I play, and I've never seen anyone else talk about making use of the straight in line as a reference point. I also have a dead nuts method for determining cue ball position off a rail, but that one will have to remain inside my brain for now. :smile:

Thank you. I've gotten nothing but positive feedback concerning my book. It's interesting how it parallels your own natural feel for shooting. The system was designed to develop a feel for making balls. Hopefully it will produce a bunch of Dan White style players out there! (Well, minus your dead nuts CB off the rail method.)

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I've gotten nothing but positive feedback concerning my book. It's interesting how it parallels your own natural feel for shooting. The system was designed to develop a feel for making balls. Hopefully it will produce a bunch of Dan White style players out there! (Well, minus your dead nuts CB off the rail method.)

LOL. As long as the royalty checks start coming in I don't care what you call it. J/K. Actually one of the problems with new ideas is overcoming jealousy, especially if you have something so simple that people wonder why they didn't think of it first. Then there are those who convince themselves that they did think of it first! Don't confuse me with that group. I merely use the straight line and fall into the shot line, whereas you have quantified the steps needed to do it without the years of play.

Pangit

Banned
Keep om going.

Maybe you can teach me what you do.

randyg

I doubt it Randy, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

I literally learned (still learning) how to play pool in the Philippines. No "aiming" system here or "instructors." It's still old school.

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
I doubt that lol

I bought one of the original copies from BC. When he updated it he sent me a free copy of the new one.

I offered to pay him for it but he wouldn't take anything.

That might tell you something about him.

Just sayin'.....

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
I bought one of the original copies from BC. When he updated it he sent me a free copy of the new one.

Just sayin'.....

Had the same experience...

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Just sayin'.....

Had the same experience...

Ahh....you guys. :embarrassed2:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good for you. I’m hoping that one day someone will write a book entitled NO AIMING SYSTEM. A one pager that debunks all of the crap out there.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Here's a conversation that could very well take place between an aimer and a
"non-aimer." :rolleyes:

Aimer: "How do you aim?"

Non-Aimer: "I don't aim. No need to. Just see the overall shot and let the subconscious take over."

Aimer: "But how does the subconscious tell you what to do. Does the subconscious have eyes?"

Non-Aimer: "You don't need eyes. Once the subconscious kicks in you can close your eyes and make every ball."

Aimer: "Do you ever miss?"

Non-Aimer: "Never! We play at levels the pros only wish they can attain."

Aimer: "Do all non-aimers have the same advanced information and background in their subconscious to play at this high level? Have all non-aimers been playing for the same length of time?

Non-Aimer: "It doesn't matter whether you have a lot of information and experience or none. As long as you forget everything you know at the conscious level and open your mind to the hidden subconscious level, everything just flows in from the cosmos of the universe. It's all in the 'mind's eye', not the eyes you see with."

Aimer: "I was under the impression you played pool with the eyes and needed good vision. Why has nobody ever heard of you winning tournaments?"

Non-Aimer: "You know about us because you're here on the internet where we live and dominate. We don't need to win tournaments or be high money gamblers. It's all about how many believers we can accumulate for strength in numbers to keep knocking any and all aiming systems. Now get outta here and quit posting to me. Aiming peons have no right to address royalty like us."

Aimer: "One last question, your majesty. Many of the pro players do say they aim and have described what they use. Are they lying? Why haven't we ever seen you on a youtube video posted here or anywhere on the internet?"

Non-Aimer: "Of course they're lying. It's only to try selling books or DVDs. It's also because it's been done for decades and they don't want the world to know physical aiming is a worthless step to follow since it's all done automatically. We don't post videos of ourselves because everyone would then know we more than likely suck and we'd lose our image of know it all superiority. Get lost!"

Aimer:"Why should I get lost? This is the AIMING FORUM and I'm an aimer. Shouldn't you be requesting a NON-AIMING FORUM to post everything there is to know in order to play like a champ without physical visual aiming with the eyes to two fixed round objects with a cue stick?

Sending one of them in all kinds of different directions with impeccable accuracy to a pocket is the essence of the game while moving the white ball to a specific spot after impact is another facet. I guess I just don't have what it takes because I do have to aim the balls with my eyes or I'll miss.

(This post is for entertainment purposes only and doesn't require a response of any kind regarding aiming or non-aiming. It's from an aimer in the AIMING FORUM.

I promise when the NON-AIMING FORUM is created, I will STAY OUT at least for 20 years or longer.)