Try this again, my PLANS for straightening out Professional Pool.the

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You know, i have to say, when i envision Professional pool not to far in the future, not only do i see title holding world champion's in each discipline of pool, 10b, 9b, 8b 14.1, one pocket, banks, and always having to defend their titles against the best of the best new challengers, and the ability to have world champions holding more than one crown at a time, i see the champions of other countries as well. The European 10b, 9b, 8b, reining champions holding their countries titles. The American champions, the champions of the Philippines, Japan, China, ALL countries being proud to represent their regions of the world. I see 128 Pro players representing this sport quarterly in world challenge matches, the breaking up into 16 player groups playing on a Pro tour, challenging the best players in the region of the Pro tours stop, 4 times a year, throughout the world. I see the possibilities of a no name player taking a skill level test and proving right out the gate he belongs in the Pros, and i see new Pros fighting to make the cut before each quarterly event in order to gain a spot on the Pro list of players. I see world champions and country champions making a ton of money, i see most ALL Pros making a much better living than just getting by, and i see advertiser's wanting to get involve as well as sponsors that want a Player to represent their business in World Pro events. Ultimately, what I'd like to see is this game of pool played by the many players all around the world as equals, turned into a world wide, organised, sanctioned, and socially excepted SPORT.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, i have to say, when i envision Professional pool not to far in the future, not only do i see title holding world champion's in each discipline of pool, 10b, 9b, 8b 14.1, one pocket, banks, and always having to defend their titles against the best of the best new challengers, and the ability to have world champions holding more than one crown at a time, i see the champions of other countries as well. The European 10b, 9b, 8b, reining champions holding their countries titles. The American champions, the champions of the Philippines, Japan, China, ALL countries being proud to represent their regions of the world. I see 128 Pro players representing this sport quarterly in world challenge matches, the breaking up into 16 player groups playing on a Pro tour, challenging the best players in the region of the Pro tours stop, 4 times a year, throughout the world. I see the possibilities of a no name player taking a skill level test and proving right out the gate he belongs in the Pros, and i see new Pros fighting to make the cut before each quarterly event in order to gain a spot on the Pro list of players. I see world champions and country champions making a ton of money, i see most ALL Pros making a much better living than just getting by, and i see advertiser's wanting to get involve as well as sponsors that want a Player to represent
their business in World Pro events. Ultimately, what I'd like to see is this game of pool played by the many players all around the world as equals, turned into a world wide, organised, sanctioned, and socially excepted SPORT.

I hope you’re right and if you don’t do it someone does. Soon. A good friend won the first leg of Jimmy Johnson’s World Sailfish Tournament last year. Over $400K after the Calcutta’s. It would be nice to see what kind of player Pool could draw if that kind of money was available.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cobra
these pro players don't deserve a tour
no body wants to watch them or cares any more about them than they do us

America would be better off supporting Ronnie O Sullivan and Snooker

Look at the difference in the gallery,those people have class
manners,dignity

Pool has absolutely no chance of getting to that level
I have talked with the biggest names in pool as far as
sponsors or backers and they agree

there is no profit in sponsoring pool and a big professional tour is not needed for pool to thrive

the biggest explosion in pool came after "the hustler" movie
and we had no tournaments to speak of

drlouis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cobra

manners,dignity

there is no profit in sponsoring pool and a big professional tour is not needed for pool to thrive

what we need is someone running things that will simply insist on sportsman-like behaviour if they want to progress. People will behave exactly how you will tolerate them behaving.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
what we need is someone running things that will simply insist on sportsman-like behaviour if they want to progress. People will behave exactly how you will tolerate them behaving.

You're 100% right, if you want the Pro's representing this sport, the first thing that is the most important to them, is that as Pro, they can count on making a living. The second thing that 99% of the Pro's would agree with, and that is if a Pro is a bad apple, they need to go! This sport on a Pro level, needs some teeth to be able to bite the ass of someone that is not acting like a Professional, and that BITE is by way of either having to be fined, or barred, either one is going to cost, one more than another. But, you can't inforce rules of conduct if no one has anything to lose, and that's where a pay structure comes in. Getting paid, and a lot of the quarterly skill level tested Pro's would actually have a lot to lose. Hell, i haven't even mentioned drug testing yet, but just because i haven't said anything, that don't mean i don't have plans in that area as well.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Cobra

manners,dignity

Deanoc, i have a problem with sports played world wide, then narrowed down to America only. Take professional baseball, even though little league baseball is played throughout the world, and there's a real little league world series championship, America crowns a professional baseball team team the world champion's after the world series is over, BUT the world didn't get a chance to play for that title did they!!! Basketball, Football, the same thing. Then when it comes to soccer, and the world gets to compete, America can't really compete, why? Golf is played on a world stage, look how it's paying it's players!! Bowling once again, not a world sport, look how it pays!!

I care about this sport on a world level, not the spoiled ass American level. And the truth of the matter, if the world was to take a skill level test to prove who the real Pro's in this sport are, America may only produce 1 or 2 players in the top 128 best in the world, because expecting to be looked at as a Pro, and busting ass to BE a Pro, are 2 different things!!!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
You know, i have to say, when i envision Professional pool not to far in the future, not only do i see title holding world champion's in each discipline of pool, 10b, 9b, 8b 14.1, one pocket, banks, and always having to defend their titles against the best of the best new challengers, and the ability to have world champions holding more than one crown at a time, i see the champions of other countries as well. The European 10b, 9b, 8b, reining champions holding their countries titles. The American champions, the champions of the Philippines, Japan, China, ALL countries being proud to represent their regions of the world. I see 128 Pro players representing this sport quarterly in world challenge matches, the breaking up into 16 player groups playing on a Pro tour, challenging the best players in the region of the Pro tours stop, 4 times a year, throughout the world. I see the possibilities of a no name player taking a skill level test and proving right out the gate he belongs in the Pros, and i see new Pros fighting to make the cut before each quarterly event in order to gain a spot on the Pro list of players. I see world champions and country champions making a ton of money, i see most ALL Pros making a much better living than just getting by, and i see advertiser's wanting to get involve as well as sponsors that want a Player to represent their business in World Pro events. Ultimately, what I'd like to see is this game of pool played by the many players all around the world as equals, turned into a world wide, organised, sanctioned, and socially excepted SPORT.

That should have been your first paragraph here.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Cobra

manners,dignity

So, let me guess, you haven't read this thread, even ONE word of it.

Jeff LIvingston

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen I hope it all works out and I truly mean that, and I hope u get rich from doing it .

Move out of that trailer or mobile home and in 2 a big mansion, I was a pipe welder in my
younger days and I lived in camper and hotels for years, I actually miss it lol

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen I hope it all works out and I truly mean that, and I hope u get rich from doing it .

Move out of that trailer or mobile home and in 2 a big mansion, I was a pipe welder in my
younger days and I lived in camper and hotels for years, I actually miss it lol

I don't care about making piles of money, as long as i have my health, and i can go steelhead fishing with my kids, I'm fine, but on a side note, I'm aware that if successfully taking over this sport worldwide basis, and bringing organization to the table, it will come with a ton of money too, but i also feel that paying 95% of it back out into this sport will continue to support it's growth as well.....and THAT is where the break down has always held it back.....to many hands are grabbing the money BEFORE it can be paid back out. As I've said before, every business that is able to pull a profit off that pool players be it through the sale of cues, tips, chalk, gloves, cloth, cushions, pool tables, pool leagues, pool table mechanics included, not ONE is willing to step forward and present a plan on how to fix pool world wide, organize it, promote it, for the bennifit for ALL those that SUPPORT their business sales!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If owning and running pool leagues was the way to straighten out this sport world wide, we wouldn't be having the problems we're having today!

If running pool tournaments in pool rooms around the world, with the majority of the prize money payouts coming from the players was the way to fix this sport world wide was the answer, we wouldn't be having the proble.s we have today!

Even if an advertiser were to step up and commit 1mil a year to help support pool, the money would never reach the top of the pile to create a change in this sport because it would all get lost to the bottom feeders, leaving nothing to climb up hill with. All I'm proposing is a change for once, I'm proposing STARTING at the TOP and begine the change to this sport there, where it'll have a much greater chance of success. This sport NEEDS a world pool council in charge of it, with one goal in mind, what's in the BEST interest of the players, period. If having pool rooms STAY OPEN around the world is in the best interest of the pool players, then the WPC needs to incorporate reasons for customers to go compete in l legitimate programs supported by the pool rooms that are ALSO voting MEMBERS of the WPC, not only to insure the growth of this sport, but it's continued participation by new members daily. Pool is an individual sport, but that individual that wants more than weekly tournamnts to play in NEEDS to be able to climb a ladder to the top if the player has the skills to do so, NOT be held back because there is NO TOP TO CLIMB TO.

To answer the question, how good does a person have to be, to be considered a PRO, can be answered by simply telling that person to take the Pool Skill level test, and find out where you stand compared to the rest of the world!! How LONG does it taje to become a pro, if i practice 7 days a week, 10 hours a day, will i make it to Pro level? Take the world skill level test, it won't lie to you, and tell you ARE a PRO....when you're NOT.

Believe me, my ultimate goal is to turn the control of pool over to a real WPC, "world pool counsel" comprised of members made up from pool room owners, pool players, and business leaders from ouside of this industry!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Furthermore, before turning this sport over to a WPC, I'd make damn sure in the laws of the corporation managing this sport, that the corporation was limited to a 20% margin of profit after all expenses are covered, and that 80% of the net profit MUST be paid out in tournament prize money, no exceptions, unless first approved by majority vote of all registered WPC member players first, that way the player members have a voice as well in this sport.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now, 18 years later, it's time to make my next major move, raising the money needed to gain the attention of the Professional Pool Players....next page. Have to feed my cats first as they WON'T leave me alone!!!
How's the plan coming?

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
any sport needs sponsors, and sponsors only go where the most eyes or ears are. and in pool, its only the equipment manufacturers who can sponsor them, and theyre usually small companies with limited means. when was the last time Brunswick sponsored a tournament? late 80s, early 90s? are they even in the billiard business anymore? don't they make boats now? diamond sponsors a couple of them, rasson in Europe, predator sponsors a good amount of stuff. simonis? that's the extant of it. you think the NFL makes money on ticket sales? pool needs to get DrMartens as a sponsor, a shoe you can be on your feet all day. icy hot for the lower back, advil for you arthritic old guys:grin:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any sport needs sponsors, and sponsors only go where the most eyes or ears are. and in pool, its only the equipment manufacturers who can sponsor them, and theyre usually small companies with limited means. when was the last time Brunswick sponsored a tournament? late 80s, early 90s? are they even in the billiard business anymore? don't they make boats now? diamond sponsors a couple of them, rasson in Europe, predator sponsors a good amount of stuff. simonis? that's the extant of it. you think the NFL makes money on ticket sales? pool needs to get DrMartens as a sponsor, a shoe you can be on your feet all day. icy hot for the lower back, advil for you arthritic old guys:grin:
Too heavy those Dr. Martens are.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... when was the last time Brunswick sponsored a tournament? late 80s, early 90s? are they even in the billiard business anymore? don't they make boats now?...
I believe that Brunswick was the table sponsor of the Mosconi Cup until Diamond took over. Not sure exactly when that was, but here is what appears to be a Brunswick table in 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhUdPz3IN_8

As was pointed out in another thread, Brunswick Billiards (an operation of the Brunswick Corporation) was first moved into the "lifestyle" division along with workout equipment and then that whole division was sold about a year ago to a private equity firm. Brunswick Billiards is no longer a part of the Brunswick Corporation. I have not heard of the current Brunswick Billiards sponsoring any tournaments.