Never saw this before - ball dropped when I touched the table

Druid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after playing pool for 30+ years, I saw something new at the table today and I have no idea what the rule is. Playing 8 ball, my opponent missed his shot (he was solids) and it was my turn. He had bumped one of my striped balls right into the mouth of a corner pocket and left the cue ball on the opposite long rail. I planned to pocket the ball he left hanging in the pocket, yet when I placed my hand on the rail to make a bridge - the ball dropped into the pocket. Apparently the light weight "bump" of my putting my hand on the opposite rail was enough to cause the ball to drop into the pocket. Keep in mind that this table is a quality Brunswick, yet we noticed it had a slight pull/roll to that side the ball fell into.

What's the rule for that?

We played it as if he had pocketed that ball, and I moved on to another ball of mine I could shoot at But what was the right thing to do? Spot the ball back where it was? Ball in hand to him if it was a foul on me? Something else? Never had this happen before... what's the official rule?

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

http://wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

1.7 Balls Settling
A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back. If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position. If a settling ball falls into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will restore the position and the shot will be replayed. The shooter is not penalized for shooting while a ball is settling. See also 8.3 Ball Pocketed.

8.3 Ball Pocketed
A ball is pocketed if it comes to rest in a pocket below the playing surface or enters the ball return system. A ball near the brink of a pocket partly supported by another ball is considered pocketed if removal of the supporting ball would cause the ball to fall into the pocket.
If a ball stops near the edge of a pocket, and remains apparently motionless for five seconds, it is not considered pocketed if it later falls into the pocket by itself. See 1.7 Balls Settling for other details. During that five second period, the referee should ensure that no other shot is taken. An object ball that rebounds from a pocket back onto the playing surface is not a pocketed ball. If the cue ball contacts an already pocketed ball, the cue ball will be considered pocketed whether it rebounds from the pocket or not. The referee will remove pocketed object balls from full or nearly full pockets, but it is the shooter’s responsibility to see that this duty is performed.