BCA Instructor

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there is information online on how to become a BCA instructor, but I wanted to inquire the instructors here - how many of you would recommend the process in order to become an instructor?

I'm going on year 3 of solid practice and really love the game. I would love to continue learning through teaching and am starting to think about becoming a certified instructor. Anyone have any opinions on this?

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For starters go to:

www.playbetterbilliards.com

There are no more BCA Instructors. The new program is the Professional Billiard Instructors Association. The PBIA

What State do you live in, maybe I can help to get you certified?

Randy Goettlicher

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The website has plenty of info on the requirements to become an instructor, but no info on how to get it done. I called the number a couple of months ago and was told to contact a master instructor to ask about certification training. So you can search on the website for the nearest master instructor and give that person a call.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The website has plenty of info on the requirements to become an instructor, but no info on how to get it done. I called the number a couple of months ago and was told to contact a master instructor to ask about certification training. So you can search on the website for the nearest master instructor and give that person a call.
Actually, all Advanced instructors can train/certify the first level of PBIA instructor.

To answer the OP's question, I would recommend getting some lessons from a certified instructor first if you haven't already. That will give you some idea of what the result is like. Of course each instructor has his own style and methods, and you will surely develop your own if you become an instructor.

To see the outline I use to train "Recognized" or first certified level instructors, see http://www.sfbilliards.com and scan down for the link to the PDF. It is a 3 day, 8 hours/day course.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually, all Advanced instructors can train/certify the first level of PBIA instructor.

To answer the OP's question, I would recommend getting some lessons from a certified instructor first if you haven't already. That will give you some idea of what the result is like. Of course each instructor has his own style and methods, and you will surely develop your own if you become an instructor.

To see the outline I use to train "Recognized" or first certified level instructors, see http://www.sfbilliards.com and scan down for the link to the PDF. It is a 3 day, 8 hours/day course.

Yes, I was told it would be a 3 day course. I had contacted Shane Tyree with the BCA, and he probably did say that an "advanced" instructor was all that's needed for first/recognized training level. Very nice guy...told me to contact an instructor or get back with him and he'd put me in contact with one.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I know there is information online on how to become a BCA instructor, but I wanted to inquire the instructors here - how many of you would recommend the process in order to become an instructor?

I'm going on year 3 of solid practice and really love the game. I would love to continue learning through teaching and am starting to think about becoming a certified instructor. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Any body of instructors that certifies you will make you adhere to their rules for instructing, up to what you ought to charge for lessons and etc. Check the organizing body's rules carefully before you commit. There are multiple orgs out there now certifying instructors.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again, incorrect advice here. There is only ONE professional organization that certifies professional instructors. That is the PBIA. There is no caveat to "adhere" to rules for instructing. We will advise you, but ultimately it is up to you what and how you teach, as well as how much you charge.

Lockbox...Becoming a professional instructor is a very gratifying experience. Contact me here, or via email at poolology@aol.com for more information on how to become a PBIA instructor.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Any body of instructors that certifies you will make you adhere to their rules for instructing, up to what you ought to charge for lessons and etc. Check the organizing body's rules carefully before you commit. There are multiple orgs out there now certifying instructors.

Last edited:

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You certainly are not referring to the PBIA in your statement!

The PBIA does have a strict entry policy. Those whom can't become PBIA Instructors go elsewhere.

randyg

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I have never been forced to match my teaching to any predefined curricula.

Must be some other organization.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
All,

I didn't say "strict entry policy". Nor can one say "only this says professional so no one else can say another body is not a body of professional instructors."

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

From some of the replies it appears that (1) there is at least one other "body of instructors" (e.g., PBIA) that certifies pool instructors but does not require that you adhere to their rules for instructing, what you out to charge etc.

(2) it appears that the only real recognized organization that certifies pool instructors is the PBIA.

Do you have a basis for contending otherwise on either claim?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... (2) it appears that the only real recognized organization that certifies pool instructors is the PBIA. ...
I think the PBIA is the primary one, but there are some other instructor training programs and/or certifications.

The PAT training system has had certified instructors who administer and train from the PAT tests. I don't know what the current status of that program is. I believe that some number of instructors were trained/certified in the US.

Dr. Dave's Billiard University skill testing/training system recognizes a number of instructors who can work specifically with that material and can administer the tests.

The ACS appears to have an instructor training program similar to the PBIA. I don't know the details.

There is the "Cuesports International Instructors Association" which seems to simply identify certain instructors. It is not clear that there is an associated training or certification program. I believe that Fred Fechter is in charge of it.

At one time Darrell Martineau maintained a list of self-nominated instructors. It was called something like "The World Billiard Instructors Association". I think it had no training program. I can't find it now.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From some of the replies it appears that (1) there is at least one other "body of instructors" (e.g., PBIA) that certifies pool instructors but does not require that you adhere to their rules for instructing, what you out to charge etc.

(2) it appears that the only real recognized organization that certifies pool instructors is the PBIA.

Do you have a basis for contending otherwise on either claim?

The PBIA is the way to go, which is why I kept up my membership dues all these years. It really is a legitimate organization, and as you work your way through the ranks and become acquainted with the different methodologies of the advanced and master instructors, you'll have a well-rounded and diverse education on how to teach the game.