Cushion / rail cloth cover replacement - Olhausen

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Morning everyone. Hope all is up to a great weekends.

As posted before, I have a 10 footer installed about 3-4 years ago using 300 rapide cloth but didn’t change the rail cloth. (It was still fairly new then).

I haven’t had chance to play on it a lot until now. It plays ok for the most part but I noticed a couple of things:

- rail cloth is loosing a bit.
- when play, it seems a bit slow. We play 99% straight rail games, very little in 3-C. But when we do 2-3-4 rails shots, it seems slow.
- balls seem to hop a tad bit coming off rails on harder shots

Questions:
- I’m planning to replace the rail cloth using left over from table cover job to make it same color. I heard with Olhausen accufast you never have to replace the cushion. How do I tell if it’s actually an accufast? How to test for quality to see it’s still in fact good when determined it’s actually an accufast? Table is pretty old and I’m not sure about its history of service.
- cushion nose height from table is now right around 1 7/16”, does that sound right?
- how to test to see table plays at correct/ok speed?
- what might cause balls to hop?
- if I have to replace cushion, which one I should go for, Artemis or Accufast, or any other?

Sorry if any of these questions are trivial. I’m a beginner :).

Thanks much

Nhi

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Rail nose height is to be 37mm plus or minus 1mm
1.456 inches from the outter nose point to slate

For the 65mm carom balls

1 7/16 is a little low about .02 under nominal which could produce the hop
you could add 1/32 thick washers to your rail bolts under the rail and i bet the would eliminate your ball hop

I recently had my rails rebuilt and to my fault they were made too low, so i shimmed them up and no more bouncing balls

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Here is a gauge i made at work
As you can see the nose point is right where it needs to be

Attachments

• received_10209096570245969.jpg
    received_10209096570245969.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 164

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I put artemis p71 on my sogaard
It previously had 37
Most tables have artemis or klematch p37
Same profile, same color even just dofferent name and price difference 450 for klematch 400 for artemis

I cant tell the difference in play from profile 71 to 37

Last edited:

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the tips.

I’ll double check the height when done replacing the rail cloth. One more thing I notice though:
- right now all 4 rails are not level - they are slightly pointing up (nose of rails side is up, edges on outside table are down).

So if I have to make the nose higher to the spec you mentioned, and keep the rail surfaces level, I have to shim all rails off the slates. Is that common?

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I think your issue is a bit above my paygrade lol

Couldnt hurt to take the rails off and have a look for yourself
If you can change a tire, you can take off and put your rails back on no issue

The quiest easiest cheapest solution for you might be to buy the older aramith carom ball set that is a different material, its like 60 new, and is smaller diameter and less weight so you probably wont get the hop

Aside from that, youd have to call a pro out to see whats really going on
;)