The Draw Drag Shot

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
How often do you see someone shoot the Draw Drag Shot? What is the Draw Drag Shot? Do you think its a viable shot or a good shot to know and use? Do you have any clips of it being played in a tournament?

I haven't seen it used in a long time until I played a good player some One Pocket the other day so it got me thinking about it.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use it all the time. I don't like to slow roll the CueBall anymore than I have to.
Thanks Robert Byrne (RIP) for showing / explaining this shot so many years ago

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a great shot to have in your arsenal. I use it mostly when i shoot a full table shot where the object ball is near a pocket and I need to leave the cue ball close to where the object ball was for position.
Sure beats slow-rolling the cue ball the entire length of the table.

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is it?
When you want to slow roll the cue ball on a long shot and you your worried it will roll off or really want to slow the cue ball after contact. You hit it hard with center draw skidding the cue ball down table and about a foot before it makes contact with the object ball the english releases and the cue ball slow rolls into the object ball. Keeps the cue ball on the line while still slow rolling it. Like when a beginner plays a long stop shot but doesn't hit it hard enough. A friend i play one pocket with uses it all the time. Very good shot to know when playing on unfamiliar equipment or super fast tables

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have explained it as a shot where you hit low on the cb, but only with sufficient force that the cb has nearly no draw or follow at the time of on strike.

Agree that it is only for straight shots.

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think knowing this shot to kill the cue ball is necessary, as even slow rolling the cue ball will not provide the wanted position in some instances.

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have explained it as a shot where you hit low on the cb, but only with sufficient force that the cb has nearly no draw or follow at the time of on strike.

You can use it for cut shots too. :wink:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use it on cut shots.
Its a great shot for spinning thin cuts in.
If you hit it with low spin the spin is turbo charged when it hits the object ball and spins in shots that you think cant be made.
In other words when the cue ball slows down it has all this spin that has time to work.
I've been using what i call a skid shot for almost 60 years.
I dont see many players using it,its a little hard to master.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I use it on cut shots.
If you hit it with low spin the spin is turbo charged when it hits the object ball and spins in shots that you think cant be made.
In other words when the cue ball slows down it has all this spin that has time to work.

You've talked me into trying that. I can see that the grippyness factor of an outside spin shot might be accelerated and sling the object ball. Interesting.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use it on cut shots.
True...taking advantage of a change in the cb's path to approach the on at a different angle. I do it all the time on my own table, though is kinda call that swerve/ not drag.

And imo, why you don't see that too often from pros...coz it is pretty sensitive to table conditions and trying to use it on different equipment can provide very inconsistent outcomes.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you want to slow roll the cue ball on a long shot and you your worried it will roll off or really want to slow the cue ball after contact. You hit it hard with center draw skidding the cue ball down table and about a foot before it makes contact with the object ball the english releases and the cue ball slow rolls into the object ball. Keeps the cue ball on the line while still slow rolling it. Like when a beginner plays a long stop shot but doesn't hit it hard enough. A friend i play one pocket with uses it all the time. Very good shot to know when playing on unfamiliar equipment or super fast tables

Excellent explanation here. Ed Kelly was the master of this shot. He used it often on long shots.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've talked me into trying that. I can see that the grippyness factor of an outside spin shot might be accelerated and sling the object ball. Interesting.

If you are cutting a ball with low left skid aim it a little full as the cue ball will curve to the left.
If you are cutting it with low right skid to kill the cue ball on a rail hit it a little thin as the cue ball will curve to the right.
Distance and speed will vary as to how thin or thick you have to aim.
Its a feel shot you have to practice.