Predator Revo shafts everywhere at the DCC

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at the DCC this year, and saw tons of players using the Predator Revo shaft. They all seemed to love it.

The price of entry is low. 800 and you can be out the door with a predator Revo shaft and a butt. Anyone who has a custom cue can afford that.

I don't own one myself, because I play with 30" predator shafts. I did go to the predator booth, and fooled around with both size versions. I rolled them on the table, and there was absolutely NO light gap change under the shaft. NONE. I have never seen even a brand new wood shaft this straight. The rep then took the shaft and banged it hard several times on the escalator rail that was 2 feet away. It had no damage whatsoever. He told me the shaft was 2 years old. It looked brand new to me.

The shaft was also incredibly smooth. Less friction than my wood 314-2, for sure.

I'm a big Steve Jobs fan, and one of his philosophies was you have to cannibalize your own products as a company, with better products. Otherwise, other companies will. (In contrast, many companies try to position their product line, so one superior product won't cannibalize their other products). I believe Predator has done this. New buyers will opt to pay 200 or 300 more and go for the Revo instead of the 314 or Z series. Long time customers such as myself, will upgrade to the Revo at some point, either when there are more joint options, or when our current shafts wear.

I predict this shaft will be the dominant shaft in 5 years, when going to high level events.

I have no affiliation with Predator products. I have used their shafts since 1998 or so.

IMO:)

*Edit to add: I think Predator will also eventually come out with a full Revo butt. You will never have to worry about your butt warping, or leaving it in the car year round, or needing a refinish, or being dinged, etc.

Last edited:

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Yes, a lot of the players are using the Revo now. Even more are breaking with the Revo Rush. I'm a fan now too.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once they come out with a 5/16x14 I will be buying one. I was shocked at how much I liked the hit.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
At the beginning I was one of the naysayers. I tried the 12.9mm when Scott Lee was in my area. Didnt really enjoy it.

A few months later the 12.4mm came out & decided to buy one of the sp2 Revo's. After my 1st 5 shots I realized how awesome it was. I made a couple shots that I knew would never happen with my normal shafts.

Since then, I've had about 8 different revo combos, will hopefully have it down soon to just 3 keepers. 1 rush, 1 radial & 1 uni-loc. I am hoping the rumors are true that an 11.8mm is next, because I will definitely get one of those as well. I would also get a 3/8x10 one too because I have a bunch of customs not getting any use at the moment.

Stew_Pidaso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had mine since it first came out (actually the second cue, the P3, not the 20th Anniversary) back in June of 2016. I have since put the third tip on it. NOTHING else to do other than wipe it down. No dent removing. No cleaning because of blue discoloration. NOTHING. Cue hits very firm, yet extremely low deflection. Maybe I'm not as picky (or brainwashed as some non LD players), but I think the Revo has a great hit and feedback.

I was the first in St. Louis to have one and now there are a few others, not a lot though. However, every time I go somewhere, I see more and more players switching to it. Unlike most Negative Nancys, it's not "C" players looking for the magic potion. Most all of them are very highly skilled shooters. Sharik switched to one after the US 8 and 10 ball opens in Vegas last year. He plays with a Treadway custom butt and used his shafts before the switch. His exact word to me for all of the "just spend the money on table time" naysayers is that "using a LD shaft, especially the Revo, will take years off of the learning curve when it come to learning to use side spin. You can aim every shot the same way and not have to learn how much to account for the deflection". Andreas (the next top shooter for Mark Wilson at Lindenwood) plays with one. When I was at Olathe a few months ago, I talked to Manny Perez and he loved his and told me that another top player that he was good friends with wants to switch, but is unfortunately sponsored by someone else. I won't mention the players name as to not possibly mess with their sponsorship deal, but if you know Manny, either he has told you or you have a very good idea of who it is.

Bottom line is everyone has different tastes. If it's not for you, that's fine. However, it gets old when every time Predator gets mentioned, you hear the same ole BS spewed from haters. You never see or hear of guys that prefer LD cues going to a post about someone's solid maple shaft or custom cue and bash their products. Especially old when every week on FB you see some cue builder or repairman show a picture of a LD shaft (always Predator) that was either broke or they themselves cut in half and ***** about the construction or the hollow portions. Predator doesn't hide any of these facts. It's all spelled out on their website. If these so called posters are that jealous, just figure out how to build a better LD shaft if you can. Lastly, what billiard industry cue maker puts more money back into the sport?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the beginning I was one of the naysayers. I tried the 12.9mm when Scott Lee was in my area. Didnt really enjoy it.

A few months later the 12.4mm came out & decided to buy one of the sp2 Revo's. After my 1st 5 shots I realized how awesome it was. I made a couple shots that I knew would never happen with my normal shafts.

Since then, I've had about 8 different revo combos, will hopefully have it down soon to just 3 keepers. 1 rush, 1 radial & 1 uni-loc. I am hoping the rumors are true that an 11.8mm is next, because I will definitely get one of those as well. I would also get a 3/8x10 one too because I have a bunch of customs not getting any use at the moment.

Glad you like your Revo, but a couple things: first let me say I'm not anti- Revo . I am just a good Ole maple shafts kinda guy. Also, yes i have spent time playing with various LD Predator shafts as i came in with an open mind and gave them a fair chance. My final opinion in the shafts I played with was they did exactly the same thing my maple shafts do, only I had to " relearn " how to aim almost every shot lol. Another thing I notices was they seemed to be a MUCH stiffer or solid hit than maple which in turn made me feel like I did not get as much feedback from the cue. To each his own right.

What I do have issue with and have to strongly disagree with is where you said you made 5 shots with the Revo that you couldn't have made with your regular shaft. Do I believe that you honestly believe that - yes. But in no way can the Revo; or any other LD shaft make ANY shot that could not be made with the good Ole Maple - period. I offer some of our respected instructors and Dr Dave to chime in on this too. I think it's great your happy with the Revo but find that statement VERY misleading to anyone reading it that doesn't know any better.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
What I do have issue with and have to strongly disagree with is where you said you made 5 shots with the Revo that you couldn't have made with your regular shaft. Do I believe that you honestly believe that - yes. But in no way can the Revo; or any other LD shaft make ANY shot that could not be made with the good Ole Maple - period.
You ought to check with Danny Smith. In a recent one pocket match he was demonstrating a cross corner bank shot to his opponent before the match, showing him that without a LD shaft, you simply cannot make the shot without double-kissing the cue ball. I don't have a vid of this, but I know that Danny Smith could execute it, while his opponent with a "normal" shaft could not.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also agree, that any shot can be made with any shaft, provided both players are of equal skill, and are very familiar with the shaft.

I will put a caveat to this of jump shots.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You ought to check with Danny Smith. In a recent one pocket match he was demonstrating a cross corner bank shot to his opponent before the match, showing him that without a LD shaft, you simply cannot make the shot without double-kissing the cue ball. I don't have a vid of this, but I know that Danny Smith could execute it, while his opponent with a "normal" shaft could not.

Sorry, but that makes no sense.

A cue ball has 4 things (assuming a level cue stroke and that you're not sending the ball bouncing down the table from a downward strike angle):
  • Direction
  • Speed
  • Rotational direction of applied spin
  • Speed of applied spin

You can control all of those things with either shaft type. A LD shaft doesn't magically give you some ability to impart something on the cue ball that a regular shaft cannot.

Now while I don't play an LD shaft presently I have in the past. They're great. They do exactly what they say they do and I absolutely see why so many people use them and why the Revo is popular. I believe they do give a slightly greater margin of error in ones shot making as well. So while it's true you still have to account for a smaller degree of deflection your chance of making the ball increases as the shaft allows for a wider range of tip positions while still getting the cue ball close enough to your target line to make the object ball.

But I just cannot see how any shot could only be made by an LD shaft.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Sorry, but that makes no sense.

A cue ball has 4 things (assuming a level cue stroke and that you're not sending the ball bouncing down the table from a downward strike angle):

• Direction
  • Speed
  • Rotational direction of applied spin
  • Speed of applied spin

You can control all of those things with either shaft type. A LD shaft doesn't magically give you some ability to impart something on the cue ball that a regular shaft cannot.

Now while I don't play an LD shaft presently I have in the past. They're great. They do exactly what they say they do and I absolutely see why so many people use them and why the Revo is popular. I believe they do give a slightly greater margin of error in ones shot making as well. So while it's true you still have to account for a smaller degree of deflection your chance of making the ball increases as the shaft allows for a wider range of tip positions while still getting the cue ball close enough to your target line to make the object ball.

But I just cannot see how any shot could only be made by an LD shaft.

That's why I said to check with Danny. He will show you.

_______

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Danny Smith can make bank shots that MOST other players can't make with an LD shaft or even a traditional shaft.

But I will try to get a video of THE particular shot and put it up on FB.

JoeyA

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried several LD shafts over the years to include Predator, OB, Jacoby and a few others and never been all that thrilled with them.

I had to go to the Predator booth and try the Revo since so many people had them.

Honestly, it was one of the best hitting shafts I've ever played with. Incredibly smooth even without a glove. And that's another thing I never used before...a glove. I bought one while at Derby and liked the way it felt as well.

I would have bought a Revo at Derby but they were out of the 12.9. I came home and ordered a radial pin 12.9 for my Diveney I was impressed with it so much. I've tended to struggle over the years with inside english unless I was playing well. The Revo made the use of inside feel like I was cheating.

I ordered through Billiard Warehouse Sunday and my shaft is to be delivered tomorrow. How's that for service?

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you like your Revo, but a couple things: first let me say I'm not anti- Revo . I am just a good Ole maple shafts kinda guy. Also, yes i have spent time playing with various LD Predator shafts as i came in with an open mind and gave them a fair chance. My final opinion in the shafts I played with was they did exactly the same thing my maple shafts do, only I had to " relearn " how to aim almost every shot lol. Another thing I notices was they seemed to be a MUCH stiffer or solid hit than maple which in turn made me feel like I did not get as much feedback from the cue. To each his own right.

What I do have issue with and have to strongly disagree with is where you said you made 5 shots with the Revo that you couldn't have made with your regular shaft. Do I believe that you honestly believe that - yes. But in no way can the Revo; or any other LD shaft make ANY shot that could not be made with the good Ole Maple - period. I offer some of our respected instructors and Dr Dave to chime in on this too. I think it's great your happy with the Revo but find that statement VERY misleading to anyone reading it that doesn't know any better.

I agree with this. I am a "nut hugging" Revo fan and there are no shots a Revo can make that a good maple shaft can not.... period.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I am surprised that Predator does not maximize the advertisement benefit/difference of what you perceived: "No light Gap change under the shaft", when rolled.

The REVO shafts I have seen have virtually NO TAPER ROLL. That's something physical that traditional wood shafts or even LD wood shafts can't control very well.

To me, the benefit of constant symmetry 360 degrees around the shaft and the full length of the shaft is something very special and can actually make you shoot more accurately.

You can cut wood as perfectly as you and your equipment allows but if the wood has a mind to move, it can and will.

I also want a REVO 30" long 12.25mm or a 12.4mm 30" long.

JoeyA

I was at the DCC this year, and saw tons of players using the Predator Revo shaft. They all seemed to love it.

The price of entry is low. 800 and you can be out the door with a predator Revo shaft and a butt. Anyone who has a custom cue can afford that.

I don't own one myself, because I play with 30" predator shafts. I did go to the predator booth, and fooled around with both size versions. I rolled them on the table, and there was absolutely NO light gap change under the shaft. NONE. I have never seen even a brand new wood shaft this straight. The rep then took the shaft and banged it hard several times on the escalator rail that was 2 feet away. It had no damage whatsoever. He told me the shaft was 2 years old. It looked brand new to me.

The shaft was also incredibly smooth. Less friction than my wood 314-2, for sure.

I'm a big Steve Jobs fan, and one of his philosophies was you have to cannibalize your own products as a company, with better products. Otherwise, other companies will. (In contrast, many companies try to position their product line, so one superior product won't cannibalize their other products). I believe Predator has done this. New buyers will opt to pay 200 or 300 more and go for the Revo instead of the 314 or Z series. Long time customers such as myself, will upgrade to the Revo at some point, either when there are more joint options, or when our current shafts wear.

I predict this shaft will be the dominant shaft in 5 years, when going to high level events.

I have no affiliation with Predator products. I have used their shafts since 1998 or so.

IMO:)

*Edit to add: I think Predator will also eventually come out with a full Revo butt. You will never have to worry about your butt warping, or leaving it in the car year round, or needing a refinish, or being dinged, etc.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw one the other day, now I am going to have to hunt that guy down and ask to hit with it for a few minutes. Personally I think it is about time someone came out with an alternative to maple shafts that actually works. It reminds me of when golf moved on from wood shafts and persimmon heads on the woods. I think the Revo is here to stay!